black tank hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb21992

:eek:  O.k.  What is with these hose that you buy for big bucks and when you go to use them there seems to be little holes after one of two times after use.  I mean REALLY????  I am afraid one of these times emptying the black tank it is going to explode and spray sh..... all over.  I really do take care of things appropriately along with sanitary handling.  Which brand have most of you all had the best results with? along with longevity of use?  Thanks so much for reading about my worrying and concerns.  :-\

"Cheap" hoses are just that. Thin, weak, and they make awesome sprinklers when they suffer a catastrophic failure (been there, I don't suggest it).

I don't know how or where you store the hose when not in use, but if it's in the rear bumper, you can expect the hose to suffer damage from vibration while traveling as it bounces inside the bumper and is damaged where it contacts the rusty metal inside the bumper. I lined mine with a cheap 5"PVC pipe I picked up at my local home supply store. I also purchased a much sturdier hose.

FWIW, I still get nervous when I first pull the handle. Kind of like shell shock, just spelled different.

If you are storing your hose in the rear square bumper and your camper is several years old the inside rusts and it like dragging your hose over sand paper all the time.  Even the best ones can't take that for long.

You can try to clean it if it isn't too badly rusted by pushing a stainless steel dish pan scratch pad through it until it's smooth. Clean the loose rust and paint by pulling a rag through, or flushing it with water and then let it dry.  Then put one side of the RV up on  boards, a couple of inches will do. that way any runs will tend to go to the lower end.  At the hardware or paint store you can buy a narrow roller that will just fit and paint it with a rust preventive paint. Mainly you want the center couple of inches smooth and rust free.

Also, there is a light weight PVC plastic tube available in different lenghts with caps on each end and brackets that can be used to attach it to the bottom of the trailer frame.

I have also seen PVC pipe that was about 8" and the owner installed it on an slight angle.  He drilled four of holes and thread copper wire in an "X" so the hose would not fall out and any water could drain. 

I can add my vote to the Rhinoflex sewer hose...very sturdy, compresses to a short length, and the couplings and fittings are of high quality. Also very affordable. The 15' length can be had on Amazon for under $30 with free shipping. If you aren't a fan of online shopping, Camping World carries it as well as Walmart. Rhino also makes a nice compact 5' extension that you can add to the 15' when needed. Ours has been used for 2 yrs now and still in great shape.

The packaging uses words like "heavy duty" liberally but often the product doesn't live up to the claim. Look at the hose thickness, expressed in "mils" when you buy. 10 mil is junk. 15 miles is often called "heavy duty" but it's only adequate. 20 mils is much sturdier.

Hoses like the Rhino are rugged and also more convenient because they stay in whatever position they are set and have high-quality fittings that swivel. Worth the extra cost, in my opinion.

My experience may be the exception (?) but I used a cheap, basic sewer hose for 5+ years with no leaks or other problems.  A Rhino hose would have been nice, but I never wanted to spend the extra money when I had a perfectly good hose already.

A couple things might have contributed to my basic hose lasting longer than others mentioned here... (1) I rarely camped with full hookups, and only removed the hose from storage when pulling through the dump station.  Therefore it wasn't always exposed to the elements and other environmental conditions (including bikes/mowers/objects possibly running over or falling on the hose) that could cause damage and early failure.  (2) After a good rinse each time, I coiled my hose up like a python and placed it in a carpeted basement storage compartment.  This was probably a better option than the hollow bumpers that have a rough surface rubbing against the hose every time it was removed or replaced from storage.

YNP Nuisance sewer hose bears with odd behavior:
One of the older Park Ranger related to me that there was a local bear that liked to mouth and hence puncture camper sewer hoses. This wasn?t pleasant for the unaware camper when they pulled open the gate valve.
Our friends that live just off the park use an in sink garbage disposal because of the bears and their trash can prowling. A grizzly found the vent stack of their septic system and pulled it up enough to change the direction of flow.

Back
Top Bottom