Black tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leew

I searched but didn't find so I'm asking (and hoping I didn't miss it someplace else).
Can I treat my black tank the same as I do my septic tank?  i.e. Rid-Ex, etc.??
Thanks.
Dinah of Lee and Dinah  ;)

Yes, but no need too unless you have a problem. Leave the black tank valve closed, use plenty of water when flushing and simply wait before dumping the tank until it is at least 2/3 full. The idea behind waiting is to insure getting a good flush removing both the semi-solids and liquids. If you are leaving a campground, for example, if needed, you can always add enough water to the tank to get a good flush before visiting the dump at departure.

Using the 'Search' function on the Menu line above (not the little box on the right) will turn up hundreds of articles on the subject, perhaps using words like 'poo pile' etc, a very popular subject on these boards.

In addition to what Stu said, after dumping, add around 5 gallons of water to the tank. This will get the breaking down action started as soon as you start using it. Also it will slosh around while traveling and this will help break up anything that did not get flushed out.
Another point is that the majority of the members do not use any chemicals at all. If used properly, you won't have a smell issue.

Understand that your black tank is not the same as your septic tank. It's purpose is to simply hold waste until it dumped into a septic system or sewer system.

No chemicals are needed to process waste in the black tank, other than water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom