Black Water Holding Tank Repairs - Fact or Gimmick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The stuff I tried, Fiber Weld, did not work so well under pressure testing. It was plenty strong but leaks could propagate down the fibers. I hope your product works better.
I ended up using fiberglass and marine epoxy over the repaired/modified area with good results.

Update**

I last posted to this thread about a week ago when I ordered the Poly-Weld.

Well, I finally got it and jumped head first into the repair.

Site preparation was tedious. First a spray down with Goo-Gone to remove dirt and grime, followed by sanding and flame treating the repair site. Poly-Weld is very difficult to work with. The consistency is somewhere between cooling tar and molasses. It sticks to everything and *nothing* will get it off your fingers, clothing, etc.

I picked up a glazed tile and narrow compound knife thinking I could apply it much like joint compound. Big mistake. A plastic lid and narrow wooden stick would have been much easier (and more precise).

The first site (the "big gash") was the most labor intensive as I used fiberglass mesh to reinforce the repair, which also concealed the gash making it difficult to ration material. In retrospect I think the mesh may have been overkill altogether. The second repair site was much easier - a 4" horizontal clean cut. I just pasted over it and was done.

With just my luck, the temp in the north-east dropped to around 40F and will probably stay around there all week. At this rate, the "24 hour cure" time will likely be 24 days! Ugh....

Whenever it does cure, I'll sand and apply a second coat. If the repair holds, it would have been worth the heartache. I mean, $72 for 3 tubes of Poly-Weld and another $20 or so for miscellaneous materials is a far cry from the cost of tank replacement.

Stay tuned....

Update ** Poly-Weld PE Holding Tank repair seems to be holding!

I haven't posted in a while as I've been busy with repairs and upgrades to the wheel estate (yes -- I picked that up!) for the big adventure. My last post was right about the time I haphazardly applied Poly-Weld to 2 gash sites on my polyethylene holding tank. While I will probably add another coat (for psychological reasons) the repair appears to be rock solid.

As I imagine, everyone will tell me to fill her to the brim and drive around town. I'd love to do that, but I've no way to fill or drain the waste tank in New York City!!! So, I'm going to take the faith route. I'm pretty paranoid about the holding tank (understandably I think) and wouldn't actually sign off on it unless it was tested. Still, 2 weeks after applying Poly-Weld (2 ounces in total) the repair site is confidence inspiring. This material cures hard as rock, and I can't imagine it coming off. I really hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but my eyes (and fingers) are voting "Yey!" unanimously.

VERDICT:

I'll tack on some thoughts once I've driven for a couple weeks with the tank in use. At this point it seems that Poly-Weld - the bonding resin specially formulated for repairs to PE/PP (and other thermoplastics) seems to do the trick!

Like I said in my previous post... better $72 then $900!!

Is there no place to fill the fresh water tank? Even 15-20 gallons (which you then flush into the black tank) would give it a fair test. And you don't have to dump it until you get on the road somewhere.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Is there no place to fill the fresh water tank? Even 15-20 gallons (which you then flush into the black tank) would give it a fair test. And you don't have to dump it until you get on the road somewhere.

I plan to clean the fresh water system by running a mild bleach solution (very mild). I was going to add around 5-8 gallons to the fresh water tank by bucket (have to test that system too). Might just add another 10 gallons or so when I flush it. Would have been nice to have a hose!

Just passing along a sure-fire way to repair your cracked holding tank.

Store bought products, epoxies do work but the material is incompatible with the plastic used in making these tanks.

Find some of the black plastic piping used to put the plumbing in, a small piece, or cut some from part of your plumbing in an innocuous place.

Chop & grind it into as fine a mix as you can.

Get ready to work quickly. Clean the area and the crack, sand it or even open the crack a bit with a hacksaw blade...the tank has to be empty and dry.

Then mix your powder with pipe cement, the same kind used to put plastic/pvc plumbing fittings together.

Quickly use the paste to fill in and patch the crack. It sets up quickly.

The pipe cement has a solvent that will dissolve the powder and the plastic around the crack to make a secure seal.

Ever try to unstick pvc fittings...impossible. Slather it on generously.

philair said:
Just passing along a sure-fire way to repair your cracked holding tank.

Then mix your powder with pipe cement, the same kind used to put plastic/pvc plumbing fittings together.

Wouldn't you need shavings from the same material the tank is made out of and how do you know PVC cement would work let's say for a ABS tank?

In the event that your repairs fail, there is a place in Ontario, Ca. that sells those tanks for around $175.00

I bought a tank from them once and can attest that they are as sturdy as the original. I am sure they are not the only ones who manufacture the tanks,  and you should be able to find one near you. Nowhere near $900.00

Back
Top Bottom