Black water tank problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradygray

I have a 2005 open road 5th wheel. After you flush the toilet you can still see the toilet paper in the tank, it never washes down. Should I close the valves and let it fill up some and then empty it, or leave it open? Any advice would be helpful!

It sounds like the OP has been leaving the dump valve open. He now needs to google "poop pyramid" and learn how to get rid of it and how not to let it happen again.

bradygray said:
I have a 2005 open road 5th wheel. After you flush the toilet you can still see the toilet paper in the tank, it never washes down. Should I close the valves and let it fill up some and then empty it, or leave it open? Any advice would be helpful!
Do you mean to say that you continue to see the paper in the toilet bowl after flushing?  If so, then just flush a second time long enough for the paper to get wet and slide into the tank.

TravlinOn said:
Do you mean to say that you continue to see the paper in the toilet bowl after flushing?  If so, then just flush a second time long enough for the paper to get wet and slide into the tank.
Nope, the tank is full. If he keeps on flushing it will overflow.

kdbgoat said:
It sounds like the OP has been leaving the dump valve open. He now needs to google "poop pyramid" and learn how to get rid of it and how not to let it happen again.

Don't know if there is a pyramid involved, but agree that OP has been leaving the black tank waste drain valve open.

To OP - Close the black tank waste drain valve and add about 5 gallons of water to the tank through the toilet opening or through your black tank cleaning connection (if there is one). It seems there should always be some amount of water in the black tank so everything can break down and become easier to drain out of the tank. At least, that has always been my experience. YMMV.

Should I close the valves and let it fill up some and then empty it, or leave it open? Any advice would be helpful!

This is a worrisome question. Are you saying you normally leave the black valve open while the toilet is in use? If so, that will cause a major problem. The flush water runs out but the solids and paper accumulate in the tank under the toilet and eventually block all flow. This is the "poop pyramid" that kdbgoat mentioned.  You need to keep the black water dump valve closed until the tank is at least 1/2 - 2/3 full and then open it. This does two things: (1) Provides plenty of liquid and time for solids and paper to dissolve, and (2) flushes it out of the tank when the valve is opened.  Try it and see - it may flush out the accumulation if its not yet too bad.

The other possible problem is simply that paper and/or solids have caught in the throat of the pipe that goes from toilet bowl to tank. It's a simple pipe, perhaps with a 45 degree bend.  Additional flushing may clear it, or you may need to push it on through with some sort of device.  If the pipe has a bend in it, you may need a spring-type toilet auger that will get around the angle..

bradygray said:

Yes, close the valve and leave it closed until the tank is at least 3/4 full. Then dump the tank. Also, a couple of days before you dump the black water tank, shut your gray water tank valve and let that tank fill up with gray water. Once you're done dumping the black tank, use this gray water to flush out your sewer hose what we call the stinky slinky.  You can leave your gray water tank open all the time as far as I'm concerned. Others will disagree.
If you've got quite of bit of solids still in the tank after you drain it, the solids may have already started to harden up. Put as mush water in the tank that you can and let it sit for several days. Then if you can, tow the trailer around to get the water to slosh around to help break it up. Then try dumping again and see what you've got.

Thanks for the input guys! The lady I bought it from said she left both tanks open all the time and never had a problem. I'll try leaving them shut and see if I have any luck. One more question for yall camper experts, I live in along the coast of Texas. Yesterday the heat index was 115 and my AC unit ran all day and could not keep up with the heat . Is there something wrong with my AC, or is it just because of the heat?

bradygray said:
Thanks for the input guys! The lady I bought it from said she left both tanks open all the time and never had a problem. I'll try leaving them shut and see if I have any luck. One more question for yall camper experts, I live in along the coast of Texas. Yesterday the heat index was 115 and my AC unit ran all day and could not keep up with the heat . Is there something wrong with my AC, or is it just because of the heat?

You probably have 2 gray tanks and that was what she meant as far as leaving both tanks valve open.  Buy NOT the black tank.
If you were right out in the sun, I would not expect it to keep up.

bradygray said:
I'm quite sure it was because your AC unit couldn't keep up - especially if you've only got one AC unit. RVs aren't insulated anywhere near as well as most houses, and expecting a single AC unit to keep an RV even close to "cool" in those kind of temps is unrealistic.

Kev

A RV plumbing system is very different from a home system.  At home, the toilet drains directly into a pipe that goes straight to the sewer.  In a RV, there is a LARGE holding tank in the line (black tank).  If the drain is left open, the liquids drain as they are flushed.  Solids accumulate.

Proper procedure is KEEP THE BLACK TANK DRAIN VALVE CLOSED! After the tank is emptied, add 5 gal of water to the tank.  This helps to break up "deposits" as soon as they are made.  Flush all solids with at least ? gal of water.  Do not empty the tank until it is at least ? to ⅔ full.  This gives enough volume for a more complete dump.  It helps to have ? tank of gray water when the black tank is emptied.  Empty the black tank and flush with a tank flush if installed.  Close the black tank valve.  Drain the gray tank to help flush the drain line.  Gray tank valve may be left open.  Add 5 gal of water to the black tank.

If the previous owner did not follow a similar procedure, you clearly have a poo pile, even if it has not YET clogged up the works.  This procedure will SLOWLY break up the mess they left.

I noticed everyone referred to the black tank valve staying closed.  You should also keep the grey tank (or tanks) closed until they are 3/4 or more full.  Then, you dump the black tank first and have plenty of grey water to flush the line by dumping them last. 

meternerd said:
I noticed everyone referred to the black tank valve staying closed.  You should also keep the grey tank (or tanks) closed until they are 3/4 or more full.  Then, you dump the black tank first and have plenty of grey water to flush the line by dumping them last.

I always keep both gray tank valves open unless I plan on dumping my black tank in a couple of days then I shut them. Never had any issues. The traps will stop any odors or flies from entering the RV.

This is from a boating site, but it still applies to keeping it clean.  Calgon can be a little tricky to find and prices can be all over the board.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=666

Here are a few ideas on how to clean it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovyd2x_Nx6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

Back
Top Bottom