Black water tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stick a garden hose* down your toilet holding the valve open and have someone else operate the hose bib.

[*never use your white potable-water hose for this.]

I run the backflush for a bit after emptying, with the drain valve closed.  Or just flush the toilet for a few minutes if you don't have a backflush.  There is no correct method.  Any way that puts a few gallons of water in the tank will work.

Do you need to re-fill to 1/2 to 2/3 full? What is the purpose of adding ice cubes?

Thanks for the quick replies to my 1st ?

I only add enough to fill the drain pipe and cover the bottom of the tank.  I really don't worry about it.  Ice cubes are supposed to help clean the sensors, but in my experience, they melt long before they do any good.  And of course, they won't do anything at all if you aren't moving.  I think it's a waste of good ice :)  If you add anything, a capful of liquid Rid-X is probably as effective as anything else you could add.

I replaced my shower head and it came with a new hose.  So when I need to refill the black tank, I put the old shower hose back on the shower, shove it in the toilet and use the shower to refill.

Sometimes, I have also used a 5 gallon jug I use to carry fresh water.  Either at the campsite or at one of the fresh water outlets in the campground, I fill my jug ahead of time, because we use it for drinking water too.  After I am done dumping and cleaned up, I get my wife to hold the toilet flusher opened, and I dump the 5 gallon in it.  I wash my hands before touching my fresh water jug.

I use a small bucket (maybe 2-1/2 gallons) to carry the sewer elbows and such. I fill it in the tub and then dump it in the toilet fairly quickly a couple of times with the waste valve open to give it a good flush. Then, I close the valve and dump a couple more buckets in there. I figure it helps to stir up anything that might be lingering in the corners.

I use a 1"x8"x1/4"  strip of hard rubber (MudFlap) bent into "C" shape(springy) wedged in foot pedal.  Then I can walk away (not too far)~ do something else ~ Check the gauge ~ 'til  level I want is reached.  Works for me.  JM2?

You really don't need to put a lot of water in the tank after emptying, just enough to fill the drain and cover the bottom.  Every time you flush, it adds more water.  I like to use the full capacity of my holding tanks.

I can't speak for the others, in my case it's actually for a quick rinse after dumping.  I have full hook up, so I dump at my site and I have the luxury to take the time I need.

Ned said:
You really don't need to put a lot of water in the tank after emptying, just enough to fill the drain and cover the bottom.  Every time you flush, it adds more water.  I like to use the full capacity of my holding tanks.

Agree. I did not specify but my procedure is for the end of the trip only - if I need to dump mid-trip, I don't bother with any rinsing/filling.

Now this will prove my naivete about camping with an RV.

I came to the site today to ask some questions about properly dumping my black water and to learn why my sensor does not seem to be accurate.

Issue #1.  I was not informed that I should add water after discharging.  Is that an always situation? [obviously not for the MN winters, but during the camping season].

Issue #2.  Our sensors do not seem to be accurate.  I dump and it still shows as 2/3 full.  So I read hear that I should throw a bunch of ice cubes in the next time to go; that will clean the sensors?  I am quite discouraged about the inaccuracy of the sensor readings.

Question.  So during the camping season, I am supposed to add water to the tank after discharging.  And the easiest way to do that is run water into the tank.  So where does one get that water, 5 gal bottles is not an easy solution.  Sounds like some of you carry water with you.  That is news to me also.

Can someone elaborate the right processes for this newbie?

What type of RV are you in ~~  If you have a 'black' tank you usually have a fresh water tank also. (For when you are not hooked up to a city water supply.)

touringmn said:
Issue #1.  I was not informed that I should add water after discharging.  Is that an always situation? [obviously not for the MN winters, but during the camping season].
Yes you should add water, it's not for the sensors to work though, but to prevent solid matter that did not get dumped from drying solid in the bottom of the tank.

Issue #2.  Our sensors do not seem to be accurate.  I dump and it still shows as 2/3 full.  So I read hear that I should throw a bunch of ice cubes in the next time to go; that will clean the sensors?  I am quite discouraged about the inaccuracy of the sensor readings.
You will get used to it, I have only had good readings when the trailer was new.  Mine is always 2/3 full until it gets full, then the full light works.  I never think to check the level at the sensors though, I take a peak at the tank when I flush.

Question.  So during the camping season, I am supposed to add water to the tank after discharging.  And the easiest way to do that is run water into the tank.  So where does one get that water, 5 gal bottles is not an easy solution.  Sounds like some of you carry water with you.  That is news to me also.

Can someone elaborate the right processes for this newbie?

When you dump, you are normally at a dumping station (at least I hope).  Normally at the dumping station, they have running water for rinsing your hose and stuff.  You can use that to fill an old bucket to pour water back in the tank from the toilet.  You don't need as much as 5 gallons, but if you have 5 gallons of water in the tank sloshing around while driving, it might clean your sensors and get them working again for a few camping days until they act up again.

Key points to remember:
- add a little bit of water after dumping to prevent solids from drying
- if on full hookup, use plenty of water to flush, this helps dumping
- dump before the toilet overflows
- pretend the sensors don't exist
-

I measured the capacity of my toilet bowl by pouring water from a gallon jug and found it holds about 3/4 gallon when the water is full to the top.  So when I'm done dumping I just hold the toilet's lever down and let the bowl fill up 7 or 8 times to get 5 gallons into the tank.

This is enough to fill the outlet pipe and leave a little water on the floor of the tank under the toilet in my rig.  The amount you need may vary depending on the tank contours and where your toilet is located in relation to the outlet.

Even if you use chemicals, it's a good idea to add enough water to fill the outlet piping before you add them.  Otherwise the chemicals just collect at the low point, next to the drain valve, and don't do anything until the fluid level rises enough to cover the tank below the toilet.

Since most dump stations have a fresh water fill located a short distance forward of the dump, a good time to add the water is while the fresh water tank is filling.  This way you'll still have a full fresh water tank when you're done.

Thanks for the quick replies.  :)  I have only used the fresh water tank on our last camping occasion.

So tonights task for me is add lots of water (maybe 5 gals or so) to the tank and then some chemical - for chemicals, we are only referring to the standard toilet chemical that i have been using at the beginning of any camping session.  Nothing special correct?

Hmm, forget the sensors and check the tank visually - not the most appetizing method.  :eek:

Most don't use holding tank chemicals and especially stay away from anything with formaldehyde in it.  It will kill all the essentials bacteria in the tank that make it work how it should.  Using enzyme based products don't hurt anything, but they are marketed to solve problems that most RVers never experience, but if you use it from day one, you can't tell that they don't do anything different.

Black and gray tanks will stink, that's what waste does.  However, exhaust gas are vented to the roof, not the living space, so you should not smell it.  If you do, you have a venting problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom