BLIZZARD 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We only went down to 38 here at Alafia River State Park overnight, so not quite as chilly as predicted. It's currently 9 at our upstate NY cottage, but at least they didn't get nailed with the blizzard up there.

I'm in south eastern, Pa at work outside of phillie. Been here since 0600 yesterday babysitting the boilers. We got 18" of snow here yesterday and everything is in a panic ;). I live 30 miles west of here and have 26" and a 1/4 mile long lane, thankful that I have good neighbors. The neighbor was out with his snow blower and did the lane, my driveway and the other two driveways yesterday. He says it's his therapy, I say have at it as I sure don't want to deprive a man of his therapy. I'd much rather be at home with my feet up sipping some coffee eating a good breakfast with the wife.
Oh well it ain't no big deal, just chillin', y'all have a great day
Gary

kwajkat said:
And that is why those of us who live in the Pacific NW like it here when everyone wonders why we put up with cloudy days and rain. The secret is because while the rest of you deal with extremes weather wise we just stay middle of the road for the large majority of time. Yes once in awhile we get some snow etc but more often than not we are pretty even keeled!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Please don't give our secret out.. I've never shoveled rain yet.  mid 40s all week. no snow last year, no snow yet this year. camp grounds here on the island are half full of alaskan snow birds.
OBTW our tulips and blue bells are up.

Daughter has been trying to get home to Fayetteville NC for the last two days but flights keep getting canceled due to weather. 

I left snowville  30+ years ago and do not miss it. The winter of 78 was bad that year. This Orb that we all live on is always going to evolve  and change and there is nothing none of us can do about it.

I remember the winter of 78.  I was in Rochester N.Y. then.  For those that don't know it, Rochester has only 3 seasons: Winter, the 4th of July and construction.  We came down in 86 and settled in east central Alabama and have never regretted it.  If we get snow I stay at home and let it melt.  I will say a prayer for you guys way up north there and hope that you get the sense to get the he!! out of  that deep freeze.

BLAKDUKE said:
I remember the winter of 78.  I was in Rochester N.Y. then.  For those that don't know it, Rochester has only 3 seasons: Winter, the 4th of July and construction.  We came down in 86 and settled in east central Alabama and have never regretted it.  If we get snow I stay at home and let it melt.  I will say a prayer for you guys way up north there and hope that you get the sense to get the he!! out of  that deep freeze.
Winter of 78' in Rochester... I was there, was working at a gas station in Brighton during the storm!  Departure was 83' for me, left Kodak in Fall of that year, their decline slowly came there after.  Don't get back much anymore, prefer a few States south.

Sorry. After reading this thread, I have to chuckle a bit. It's interesting to me to read how others respond to the weather in their backyard.
A couple of weeks ago, the temp was in the single digits here in western MI. Wind chills well below zero. We're in the 20's now and calling it a heatwave. When Lake Michigan dumps mega inches of lake effect snow on us, we dig out and go to work. Or go ice fishing, hit the ski slopes, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating, etc. We make the best of it.

I guess it all depends on what you're accustom to. Some of us don't have a problem with a winter blast like the eastern states got over the past weekend. A storm along the same lines might make us stumble a bit, but we will be out in it all the same. Won't slow us down for long. Heck, we got neighborhood kids that go door to door with a snow shovel over their shoulder asking to clear driveways for a couple of bucks!
We had a nasty winter a couple of years ago. Snow off Lake MI just wouldn't stop. Side streets in residential neighborhoods were impassable for most vehicles. I just put the truck into 4WD and checked with my neighbors if they needed anything from the grocery store and picked it up for them. We help each other here.

Yeah, the weather bogs us down sometimes. It's not so bad. You learn how to prepare. Our grocery store shelves don't empty out just because of reports of a couple of feet of snow is in the picture.
However, for those who are not accustom to wading through knee deep snow, I understand the concern. Even some of the panic. I hope their lives get back to normal safely and soon. 

It just makes me giggle when I read...
RVfixer said:
Camped in south Georgia...38 degrees and been there all day.  Going for 29 tonight they say.  Had some snow flakes earlier.  My friend came over and knocked on my door...."look there are snow flakes on our trucks." Sez he.  "I don't want to look, come in and shut the door," Sez I.

SeilerBird said:
No snow here in Florida. Got down to 50 last night. :D

We got plenty of snow up here in NE Florida. Shut the place down. Hope it clears by Wednesday!

Attachments

• snow in florida.jpg
    snow in florida.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 54
Hey SeilerBird, can I make the assumption that you might have some great pics of a winter scene somewhere?
Some of us knows what an open field looks like with a fresh blanket of snow on it. Maybe the tracks of a fox, rabbit, or deer that trekked through during the night.  Maybe a Snowy Owl against a backdrop of snow covered evergreens? There is a silver lining to a winter storm. Has anyone ever seen the crystal trees on a sunny day after a freezing rain? Beautiful.

Hang in there. We're at the end of January. Spring is on its way!  :) 

We live in St. Petersburg, FL. It was 34 this morning, with frost on the grass and cars. So much for warm tropical winters ...

denmarc said:
Sorry. After reading this thread, I have to chuckle a bit. It's interesting to me to read how others respond to the weather in their backyard.
A couple of weeks ago, the temp was in the single digits here in western MI. Wind chills well below zero. We're in the 20's now and calling it a heatwave. When Lake Michigan dumps mega inches of lake effect snow on us, we dig out and go to work. Or go ice fishing, hit the ski slopes, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating, etc. We make the best of it.

I guess it all depends on what you're accustom to. Some of us don't have a problem with a winter blast like the eastern states got over the past weekend. A storm along the same lines might make us stumble a bit, but we will be out in it all the same. Won't slow us down for long. Heck, we got neighborhood kids that go door to door with a snow shovel over their shoulder asking to clear driveways for a couple of bucks!
We had a nasty winter a couple of years ago. Snow off Lake MI just wouldn't stop. Side streets in residential neighborhoods were impassable for most vehicles. I just put the truck into 4WD and checked with my neighbors if they needed anything from the grocery store and picked it up for them. We help each other here.

Yeah, the weather bogs us down sometimes. It's not so bad. You learn how to prepare. Our grocery store shelves don't empty out just because of reports of a couple of feet of snow is in the picture.
However, for those who are not accustom to wading through knee deep snow, I understand the concern. Even some of the panic. I hope their lives get back to normal safely and soon. 

It just makes me giggle when I read...

I fully understand your point, but I think most of the drama in these things is media driven. That's how they make their money.
I was a morning paperboy in Buffalo, NY for four years. Never missed a day.
This snow dump where I live in Charlottesville, VA  was as bad as anything I saw in those four years.

There was no panic. Things were shut down for a day and a half, but the folks here handled it just as my native Buffalonians did, with grace, kindness and class.
Large metropolitan areas are dependent on high density travel much more so than in my youth, and these things have a much greater effect than they did in the past, in those areas, and it is grossly over reported.

My Virginia neighbors did just fine, just like my Buffalo friends did when I was young.

We dug out. We helped those who couldn't. We took care of everyone who needed help and we pressed on.
Media over dramatizes everything,

Well down here in San Angelo, TX it is suppose to be in the 80's this week end.  Can't believe the weather this year.  Love it though and will definitely be out in it.

Those of us that grew up in it and got used to it, can most likely handle any inclement weather the southern states can throw at us.  However what scares me the most are the locals who have lived here all of their lives and figure they can drive on snow, icy or wet roads the same ay they do on dry pavement.  That's when the accidents pile up.  You have to take into consideration we have no sand trucks or salt trucks.  That's why when it snows or there is freezing rain or an ice storm, business should close and ride it out.  But no Billy Bubba has to get out there with his "HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS" and then plows into a tree.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom