Blu-ray recommendation needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do have a USB remote, so it uses up a port but only when it's in use.  The sensor is easy enough to pull out and set aside if I need the port for a wired controller or whatever.

Marc L said:
I think my library is too big, the PS3 can't enumerate all the files and times out.  I don't recall the error code though, it was a DLNA error.  I got more success installing the PS3 Media Server on my laptop.

What's that process?  I followed this link and the PS3 now sees my laptop's WMP library folders (Playlists, Music, Pictures, Video) but cannot see any of the actual files that are there.  It's telling me that the folders are empty, when they are obviously not.

Are you trying to use standard WMP/DLNA or PS3 Media Server

With Windows, I gave up, it could see my shares like you, but timed out on getting actual content.  PS3 Media Server worked, but with my router at the time, it was too slow.  I could do it now with my new router, but since I got Apple TV for xmas, it's not worth it anymore.

Marc L said:
Are you trying to use standard WMP/DLNA or PS3 Media Server?

Hadn't heard of PS3 Media Server until I researched that link you provided... I downloaded and was about to install it, but then tried this other set of instructions for WMP/DLNA (slightly different from the first) and now I have the files working fine on the PS3.  Cool feature!

I can't play videos smoothly on mine, but I only have a 1 mbps DSL speed so that's no big surprise.

A few more steps in that tutorial than what I remember doing.  I might give another crack at it.  The PS3 is normally downstairs and the Apple TV in the main room, so I could use my media on both TVs.

Scott, I almost suggested PS3 earlier, but thought you were looking for a much cheaper unit. When I've gone out to buy a BR player, store employees have told me on several occasions "you already have the best BR player sell - the PS3".

Tom said:
Scott, I almost suggested PS3 earlier, but thought you were looking for a much cheaper unit. When I've gone out to buy a BR player, store employees have told me on several occasions "you already have the best BR player sell - the PS3".

I was looking for a much cheaper unit... although I've WANTED a PS3 for a long time.  This just happened to work out with the tow dolly trade... this guy was already borrowing my dolly and I asked him if he was interested in buying.  Then I saw that he had a Craigslist ad placed for a PS3 bundle.  A few e-mails later, we had a trade deal negotiated and everyone's happy!

Tom said:
When I've gone out to buy a BR player, store employees have told me on several occasions "you already have the best BR player sell - the PS3".

I read this in one of the articles I ran across (CNET possibly), mentioning that the PS3 has become the "Sony's flagship Blu-ray player" (even though they probably didn't originally intend it that way) because of the machine's versatility and ongoing upgrades & support.

Back
Top Bottom