Blue Ox Towbar Failures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
caltex said:
After looking at the pictures of the failed tow bar, I went out to check mine out.  As usual there are details we never see until someone or something forces our attention on it.  The picture that I have listed is a Roadmaster bracket.  The interesting difference from the one that failed is the extra welded bar across the top and bottom of the U shaped bracket.  Would that be a stronger bracket than the one that failed?  I don't know, but it is different.

I would think that the addition of the welded bar would surely improve the strength of the U bracket.  Roadmast must have a reason for doing this.

Actually, the cast bar has the same feature. It's much thicker across the back then on arms. One can't clearly tell from a/the picture and your opinion of the folks wouldn't support my assumptions, but that said it appears that a sideways force of considerable magnitude was induced causing the right side to break while compressing the left arm. Also, the entire assembly shows many instances of apparent damage; possibly caused at time of failure but may be long term wear.

>>Actually, the cast bar has the same feature.<<

Interesting in that I would have expected a forged part there and not a cast one.  I jsut checked my Demco Excalibar and it is all forged in the flex joint.

Jim

I too have the cables with swaged ends on my Roadmaster. As Ned will attest to, all sailboats use swaged fittings on the stays, but they can and do fail occasionally; usually due to corrosion or individual cable strands having broken but hiddden from view. While they do make for a nicer looking installation, function is more important, and I will be switching to chains before hitting the raod again. 

Whlie we were in Anchorage, AK, I noticed that the same aluminum part as your photo shows, on our BlueOx hitch was showing excessive wear. I called the factory and they air shipped me a new replacement. Only differance was the new one was steel, not aluminum. BlueOx supplied the part at no cost and even paid the air freight to Anchorage. It's great when a company stands behind the products.

Chet18013

It sounds like someone should notify the NTSA about this.  It looks like a manufacturing flaw, not a service accident.  It surely would warrant a recall.

It's great when a company stands behind the products.

Its good they supported the product but I wonder how much responsibility they would acknowledge if a towed separated because of a towbar failure and caused serious damage or loss of life. 

I have only seen two failures but that is two too many.  Have no idea if any reports were made. 

I realize this is a fairly old thread but I visited it again today as I am just now setting up my rig to tow.
I chose the Blue Ox Aventa II since I already have the base plate installed on my '97 Honda toad.
The yoke that has been shown broken, earlier in the thread, is made of steel on my hitch.
Of course this makes the whole thing weigh more than 45 lbs.? Feels more like 60lbs.
The real reason for returning here was to revisit the discussion of Chains v/s Cables for safety.
I think I'll opt for the chains unless someone steps forward with new data is support of cables.
lou

I would recommend the chains.  Be sure to use strong hooks to secure the ends.  Don't rely on S hooks, they can be straightened out under sudden loads, such as a breakaway.  I use 4000# hooks that have a locking closure.  Cables usually have swaged ends and I have had those fail.  As a result of my experience, I won't use cables.

You won't break the tow bar unless it's put under excessive strain under very unusual conditions.  That did happen to us and even though the receiver bar broke, the chains held.

Thanks Ned,
I'll take your advice on the chains and on the strength of the attachments.
lou

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom