Bluetooth LP gauge for fixed tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I just came across this ultrasound BT gadget that acts as an LP gauge for fixed tanks. Can report to a phone app or a remote BT gauge.

https://fuelminder.biz/lpg%20gauge/tankcheck%20lpg.html

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I just came across this ultrasound BT gadget that acts as an LP gauge for fixed tanks. Can report to a phone app or a remote BT gauge.

Will it work with large home propane tanks?  I sure have been looking for such. I own two houses that use propane tanks and I often take RV trips to warm southern AZ in December when it can be freezing cold here in Reno. I would sure like to have an internet connection to my house propane tanks! Even at the 55?F I keep the houses at, the propane can drop at various speeds depending on the weather.

It's a 325 gallon propane tank at my Cold Springs Valley, NV house (18 miles NW of here)and that is where I need it the most, but my house in Auburn, CA  is also on Propane and I would like to keep an eye on it also.

This house here in Reno is my only house that uses natural gas.

My motorhome has no use for such. It has two gauges for its (stationary) propane tank as it is.

Edit:  I just now noticed " Also Available for Larger Tanks Up To 1000 gal!"

I just now ordered the two sensors.

-Don-  Reno, NV

DonTom said:
Edit:  I just now noticed " Also Available for Larger Tanks Up To 1000 gal!"

I just now ordered the two sensors.

-Don-  Reno, NV

The sensor shown will not work on your 325 gallon tank. Mopeka makes a different sensor that will. Add their WiFi bridge to it, and you can remotely monitor the tank from anywhere with Internet service. I have an earlier version of the large tank sensor on the 320 gallon LP tank at our upstate NY cottage, and the WiFi bridge works great for letting me keep track of the level there. I also have one of their standard sensors with me that's installed on the 30 lb cylinder we use with an Extend-A-Stay hookup as an auxiliary supply to our onboard 29 gallon tank.

https://www.mopeka.com/product/mopeka-check-pro-lp-sensor/

https://www.mopeka.com/bridges/

NY_Dutch said:
The sensor shown will not work on your 325 gallon tank. Mopeka makes a different sensor that will. Add their WiFi bridge to it, and you can remotely monitor the tank from anywhere with Internet service. I have an earlier version of the large tank sensor on the 320 gallon LP tank at our upstate NY cottage, and the WiFi bridge works great for letting me keep track of the level there. I also have one of their standard sensors with me that's installed on the 30 lb cylinder we use with an Extend-A-Stay hookup as an auxiliary supply to our onboard 29 gallon tank.

https://www.mopeka.com/product/mopeka-check-pro-lp-sensor/

https://www.mopeka.com/bridges/
Why won't the one I already ordered "for up to 1,000 gallons" not work for my 325 gallon tank?

At least they are cheap enough that I can afford to buy others.

Edit:I guess the word "Bluetooth"  didn't sink in! Not the type of wireless I want.

-Don-  Reno, NV

The bridge is out of stock. But I am in no hurry, I won't be needing it for months.

But I am sure glad to find out they exist! 

For quite a while, I have wanted  the ability to look at my house propane tanks while on trips.

BTW, what do they mean by "indoor" ? Propane tanks are never "indoor".

Their outdoor one cannot be purchased individually.

-Don-  Reno, NV

We have one on each of our 30-lb tanks and monitor via bluetooth.  For the short time we've had them (just shy of 2 months) they've been accurate and dependable.  I like them!  A sound investment so far.

DonTom said:
Why won't the one I already ordered "for up to 1,000 gallons" not work for my 325 gallon tank?

At least they are cheap enough that I can afford to buy others.

Edit:I guess the word "Bluetooth"  didn't sink in! Not the type of wireless I want.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Did you order the standard sensors, Cat #024-1001, or the "XL" sensors, Cat #024-2001. The XL sensor will work on your 325, the standard sensor may not. The only devices that go inside are the Bluetooth monitor and the WiFi bridge.

NY_Dutch said:
Did you order the standard sensors, Cat #024-1001, or the "XL" sensors, Cat #024-2001. The XL sensor will work on your 325, the standard sensor may not. The only devices that go inside are the Bluetooth monitor and the WiFi bridge.
They were  cheap enough so I ordered a couple of each. But I am not sure if I will have any use for the standard ones.

I will report back here how well they work when they arrive.

-Don-

Looking forward to your report, Don. I have no complaints with mine...

I noticed on the Mopeka site, they now have fresh and grey water tank sensors as well. I suspect the widely variable density of black water may make it difficult to calibrate the ultrasonic sensor properly for that application.

NY_Dutch said:
I noticed on the Mopeka site, they now have fresh and grey water tank sensors as well....

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.  The OEM 4-LED level panel can't be relied on when boondocking (or any other time for that matter).  I'm definitely gonna get one to monitor our freshwater levels.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Thanks for that. I assumed it would be quite expensive but $120 to monitor two tanks is rather reasonable in my opinion. Even $45 for the WiFi gateway isn't bad (I just don't need it, yet at least).

Tinmania said:
Thanks for that. I assumed it would be quite expensive but $120 to monitor two tanks is rather reasonable in my opinion. Even $45 for the WiFi gateway isn't bad (I just don't need it, yet at least).

Check Amazon for Mopeka products. The pricing is generally a bit better...

NY_Dutch said:
Check Amazon for Mopeka products. The pricing is generally a bit better...
Indeed it is. That $119 for the three piece kit is now on sale for just $89 on Amazon. Thanks much!

Good catch. Just ordered it. Will be living in trailer from mid April for several months. Knowing propane levels will bring peace of mind.

Slight topic swerve... would I normally remove an empty 30lb tank to get it filled or are there places that fill in place?

@Lynx0489:  You may be able to find a fill-in-place service but it will likely be costly.  Do I recall that you'll be living in an RV during house construction?  In that case a larger (100-lb +) tank may be more feasible.  Your local propane dealer can better inform you.
We haul our 30-lb tanks down to the local Tractor Supply for refill. 

msw3113 said:
@Lynx0489:  You may be able to find a fill-in-place service but it will likely be costly.  Do I recall that you'll be living in an RV during house construction?  In that case a larger (100-lb +) tank may be more feasible.  Your local propane dealer can better inform you.
We haul our 30-lb tanks down to the local Tractor Supply for refill.
Thanks. Yes, we will be living in the rv from perhaps mid April for maybe 6 months or so.
We will not be stationary though. April (ok, till May 10) will be in one place. Then 3 weeks near to to DWs work till she retires. Then 4 weeks at a vacation like place followed by 2 months in a place centered on our house hunting zone.

Perhaps I should buy a 3rd 30lb tank for easy refills? I am thinking that in NH & north MA, April - June will use some heating propane. After that, not so much.

Lynx0849 said:
Thanks. Yes, we will be living in the rv from perhaps mid April for maybe 6 months or so.
We will not be stationary though. April (ok, till May 10) will be in one place. Then 3 weeks near to to DWs work till she retires. Then 4 weeks at a vacation like place followed by 2 months in a place centered on our house hunting zone.

Perhaps I should buy a 3rd 30lb tank for easy refills? I am thinking that in NH & north MA, April - June will use some heating propane. After that, not so much.

I rotate two 30 lb and one 40 lb cylinders when we're at our NY cottage to save drawing down the onboard 29 gallon tank. This summer I'll be running a buried line from the cottage 330 gallon bulk tank though, so I won't have to lug the empties to the refiller any more. I'll be 78 in a few weeks, and those things aren't getting any lighter... :)

I received my two Mopeka large propane tank sensors. I just installed a propane sensor at this house, which has a 325 gallon propane tank. It is working perfectly, now showing the tank is at 30% full, which it is.

However, the first sensor I tried is NOT working. The rubber thingy on the center of the sensor came out and is impossible to get back in. And it will not work without it (I have no idea why--it's just a piece of rubber). It shows the tank as always being empty when properly installed otherwise.

I did not yet receive my internet thingy for these, so for now, I can only use it when near this house. Has a nice Bluetooth range as the propane tank is at the opposite of the house from where I am now and is working fine and shows about half way up on the SSI indicator.

I will also install one at my house in Auburn, CA. My Reno house has natural gas so has no need for such.

I am also going to try one of the small propane sensors on my ten gallon RV propane tank. Then I will be able to see its propane level from anywhere as well. Not that I really need such.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV

I received my two Mopeka large propane tank sensors. I just installed a propane sensor at this house, which has a 325 gallon propane tank. It is working perfectly, now showing the tank is at 30% full, which it is.

However, the first sensor I tried is NOT working. The rubber thingy on the center of the sensor came out and is impossible to get back in. And it will not work without it (I have no idea why--it's just a piece of rubber). It shows the tank as always being empty when properly installed otherwise.

I did not yet receive my internet thingy for these, so for now, I can only use it when near this house. Has a nice Bluetooth range as the propane tank is at the opposite of the house from where I am now and is working fine and shows about half way up on the SSI indicator.

I will also install one at my house in Auburn, CA. My Reno house has natural gas so has no need for such.

I am also going to try one of the small propane sensors on my ten gallon RV propane tank. Then I will be able to see its propane level from anywhere as well. Not that I really need such.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV

Email the folks at Mopeka about the faulty sensor. They're really good about making things right...

Back
Top Bottom