book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zehring

We are planning a trip out west and I am looking for a guide book to national parks with campground.

any suggestions?

Go to nps.gov and look at the parks you're interested in. Lots of great info there. At the first NPS site you stop, you should be able to pick up a National Park Service Owner's Manual when you buy a parks pass (which you'll want if you're going to visit more than 2 or 3 NPS sites). There's also a nice full-color map of the US with the NPS sites on it. It used to be free but there might be a small charge for it now.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

Zehring said:
We are planning a trip out west and I am looking for a guide book to national parks with campground.

any suggestions?
I am very familiar with all the National Parks, especially in the west. If you just have specific questions then ask away. If you just want general info on all of them then nps.gov has info on all of them. If you are planning on going to Yosemite you have to have reservations in 5 months in advance or you ain't getting in. I think that Petrified Forest and Channel Islands are the only ones without campgrounds. The rest have them some are free, some are as low as $10 per night and the highest I know of is $22 per night at Glacier. If you are over 62 or disabled you should get an Senior Pass or an Access Pass so you can get in all the parks for free and most of the campgrounds are half price. If not you should get an Annual Pass for $80 which will get you into all the parks without further charge, but campgrounds are still full price. It costs $25 to get into most parks so it won't take long to pay for itself.

Take Tom up on his offer - he has been to lots of them!

Although there are many web pages that are well worth spending some time with, a good book that has lots of information is "Frommer's National Parks of the American West". Not specifically for the RVer, but it does nave campground information, lots of trail descriptions, etc. Another interesting guide book is the National Geographic's "Guide to the National Parks of the United States."  Not as comprehensive as Frommers, but still worth looking at.

If you are into photography, "Photographing the Southwest, Volumes 1, 2, &3" by Laurent Martres are great books.  Even if you are not planning to take pictures, the books give you a wonderful collection of images & locations to visit.

vermilye said:
Take Tom up on his offer - he has been to lots of them!
Actually I have been to all 46 in the lower 48 and the two in Hawaii. That is 48 of the 58. I need 8 in Alaska, one in the Virgin Islands and one in American Samoa.

Attachments

• NP 46.jpg
    NP 46.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 20
seilerbird said:
I am very familiar with all the National Parks, especially in the west. If you just have specific questions then ask away. If you just want general info on all of them then nps.gov has info on all of them. If you are planning on going to Yosemite you have to have reservations in 5 months in advance or you ain't getting in. I think that Petrified Forest and Channel Islands are the only ones without campgrounds. The rest have them some are free, some are as low as $10 per night and the highest I know of is $22 per night at Glacier. If you are over 62 or disabled you should get an Senior Pass or an Access Pass so you can get in all the parks for free and most of the campgrounds are half price. If not you should get an Annual Pass for $80 which will get you into all the parks without further charge, but campgrounds are still full price. It costs $25 to get into most parks so it won't take long to pay for itself.
Thanks, I am looking for a book that lists national parks and specifies which ones have campgrounds. so as we plan our trip we know where they are.

As far as the WWW, Nps.gov was my first try. after a lot of frustration, I gave up. Nps has several links, which I found all lead to about.com, which generalizes..ie ....if you input "national park campgrounds" you get oodles of stuff on nationals and lots of things on park (hyde park etc) and campgrounds are mostly koa's and private campground which pay about.com.

I've been having a Senior Pass for years, its well worth the few bucks it costs

Roy

Zehring ~~ I found Frommer's "National Parks of the American West" to be a great help when I was planning a trip a few years ago. CG's~stuff to do~where to eat~etc.etc.  Good basic source of info.  Hope you have a great trip.  Kate

Seilerbird,  It sounds like you're gonna hafta weld some pontoons on the old coach to get to those last two.

As far as the WWW, Nps.gov was my first try. after a lot of frustration, I gave up. Nps has several links, which I found all lead to about.com, which generalizes..ie ....if you input "national park campgrounds" you get oodles of stuff on nationals and lots of things on park (hyde park etc) and campgrounds are mostly koa's and private campground which pay about.com.
I have collected links to a number of sites that review or list information about campgrounds at JV's RV Information Page.  Although not specific to National Parks, there are a number of them that are useful.  Among my favorites are http://www.publiclands.org/home.php and  http://iloveparks.com/

There are many, many more places within the National Park System than just the National Parks.  All are worth your attention.  Then, you have the BLM and the National Forests.  I'm not sure you have the time to visit them all!

Give this site a try.

The National Park Foundation publishes a book "The Complete Guide to America's National Parks" which includes tons of information on the parks but which becomes dated very quickly.

The nps.gov site is full of useful information for all of the NPS sites.

For any of these to work, you still need to know which park you might want to visit.

And as George says, there are lots of NPS sites besides the National Parks that are worth visiting and many of them have campgrounds, for example, Hovenweep National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Canyon de Chelley National Monument. With nearly 400 NPS sites, no one should limit themselves to just the National Parks.

Enjoy your travels to our National Parks, they're wonderful places.
Wendy (NPS volunteer, married to a retired NPS ranger)

And don't forget the numerous and excellent Corps of Engineers parks, which will also honor your Senior Pass. See:

http://www.rv-camping.org/COECampgrounds.html

http://www.recreation.gov/

The easy and most traveled place is the good old AAA!  They have volumes of info about those places but don't miss Ole Faithful in Yellowstone!

There is a book on the Corps of Engineers campground, see HERE for the details and a source.

Thanks everyone, I've gotten my packet of books from AAA and with the links you folks have posted, I should be all set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom