Boondocking at florida keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windt

Hi,
Im planing a one week boondocking trip to the keys in fl, wandering from key largo to key west. Any suggestions on how to find boobdocking spots?

Way back in about 1968, I and a couple of buddies, went tent camping in the Keys for Spring Break and actually found a couple of nice campgrounds, including a State park. Other than the State park, which are booked months in advance, I doubt you could even find a tent camping spot in the Keys nowadays. Boondocking is out of the question.

Every square inch of the keys is private property and you will drive all the way there to turn around and go home. There is some free camping in the state - but not in the popular areas.

There are no boondocking spots in the Keys. Homestead has a Walmart.
Do they allow
Way back in about 1968, I and a couple of buddies, went tent camping in the Keys for Spring Break and actually found a couple of nice campgrounds, including a State park. Other than the State park, which are booked months in advance, I doubt you could even find a tent camping spot in the Keys nowadays. Boondocking is out of the question.
🤣🤣

No overnight parking at any Walmart in south Florida. No overnight parking anywhere in the keys. Try it, you may find yourself a guest at the Monroe county sheriff's office. There are some churches in Miami that allow it

No overnight parking at any Walmart in south Florida. No overnight parking anywhere in the keys. Try it, you may find yourself a guest at the Monroe county sheriff's office. There are some churches in Miami that allow it
How about bass pro shops at the keys?

No overnight parking at any Walmart in south Florida.
While that may seem restrictive at times, but if Walmarts in FL did accept overnighters, I can just imagine their parking lots CLOGGED with snowbirds from the NE. Like us for example. :)

While that may seem restrictive at times, but if Walmarts in FL did accept overnighters, I can just imagine their parking lots CLOGGED with snowbirds from the NE. Like us for example. :)
I live in Central Florida and there is a Walmart three miles from me and they allow overnighters. I have never seen more than three RVs in their parking lot at any one time.

SeilerBird, I did find a private home that offered a RV site on there property with full hookups. Wasn't boondocking tho. Just a thought !!! I Stay in Port Orange, Fl for 6mo and spent last year investigating everything I could find in the Keys. Very expensive everywhere you go. Nothing is FREE down there for a RV. Good Luck !!!

I live in Central Florida and there is a Walmart three miles from me and they allow overnighters. I have never seen more than three RVs in their parking lot at any one time.
Even at "peak" winter season? Interesting...

So I'm getting the idea that S FL doesn't have the space for those not willing to pay for it. Either by choice or it's just the way it worked out - those willing to pay for something they wanted kind of pushed out those not willing to pay.

I always associated "boon docking" with the western states - you know, the ones with LOTS of open space and lands (including those managed by the BLM). Not so much BLM in the eastern states.

I kind of differentiate "Boon docking" from freeloading - you know - like those who set up in remote areas versus those who "camp" at WalMarts & parking lots.

Those were the days. There used to be some nice camping areas on Long Key, and Marathon. and even near Key West.

I grew up in Miami. We used to go fishing in the keys. The last place to buy bait and ice was in Florida City. We stayed in cabins in Layton. They were 1 room, a couple of beds and a toilet

I just reserved a week at Lazy Lakes RV Resort on Sugar Loaf Key, 19 miles from Key West for only $52 / night. I do not know if it is really bad or just cheap. We will find out. ALL state parks were booked solid with the rare exception of one day here or there. Private parks on the keys were $85 / night and up and up.

wow yeah same here in california coast, everything is booked solid. Even private places are like $85/night.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought a van instead of a trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom