Boondocking Locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brfcfan

Hi, During my 5 month trip to the states I plan to stay in RV parks for 90% of the time, however I would like to do some scenic boondocking. I plan to visit Texas, Colorado New Mexico Arizona, Tennessee Utah, Carolinas Georgia and Florida. If anyone has boondocked in any scenic locations in these places I would appreciate some info. Thanks

Those are big areas.

http://www.overnightrvparking.com  is a good site to find free camping in any area.

It is a subscription service & if you decide to join @ give them my email address [email protected] you will get an extra free month as will I.

Welcome, and we hope you have a great visit.
I'm not clear by what you mean by "boondocking".  The states you mention, particularly Colorado, Utah,  New Mexico and Arizona, have lots of very scenic country with good two-lane paved highways that meander through it. Much of the land is managed by the National Forest Service (FS) or the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and what they call "dispersed" camping is usually allowed about anywhere. DeLorme puts out a state Gazetteer map book with detailed info about the topography and roads in the individual states. They run about $15-25, depending on the state, but are worth it.  They usually also contain addresses and phone numbers to contact local offices of the land management agencies for details and current road conditions.
However, "boondocking" to those of us who live here in the West, involves getting off the paved roads and into some serious back country via small, poorly- or un-maintained dirt roads which can be difficult for large RV's to negotiate. Again, the Gazetteers can help you find routes on such roads if you choose. The land management agencies have rules for camping in such areas, but they are not much different from camping in other areas along the paved roads. If you go into the back country, especially this time of year, be VERY mindful of weather conditions as it is possible for major snow storms to surprise campers and strand them there for days or weeks. Also be sure to let someone reliable know exactly where you are going and when you'll be back, so they can call for help if you don't get out when you planned.
Either way, you'll see some spectacular scenery. Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom