Boondocking to see the eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firedave

Is anyone planning to set up somewhere in Wyoming or Nebraska on August 21 to get a birds eye view of the solar eclipse?  We live in Northern Colorado and want to head up to the grasslands in Wyoming or somewhere in Nebraska to see it and wondered if there are any RV folks planning to gather to watch it.  If the opportunity arises we may take a quick recon trip to find some good areas but August 21 is coming up fast. Wyoming State Parks have been reserved for the event for some time so it looks like "wide open spaces" may be the only option.  Might be a good time for an impromptu RV rally. 

Good luck finding one, as of a few weeks ago the Bed and Breakfast in Fort Laramie WY (not Laramie for those that don't know the area) had boondocking spaces on their ranch near the center line available for around $100 per night with porta-potties and maybe some food concessions.  We will be driving up from Louisiana, doing Yellowstone, then watching the eclipse from a hunting camp with south of Douglas, they have limited (10-12) full hook up spaces, but we were too late to grab one of those when we reserved a space 6 months ago, instead we will have electric hookup only for about $125 per night for 3 nights (they are now booked solid).

We live in northern Colorado also, about 35 mi from Wyoming line. Think we're 80 -90 miles from full eclipse. Our plan was to top off the fresh water and propane tank on the old bounder, hook up the Willys cj5, and head out on the back roads and take our chances. I hauled livestock in and out of  Wyoming for 50 years and know a lot of ranch roads and ect. Then, a friend of ours, who has a twin engine plane, suggested we all fly up and take a look see from the plane. We're debating.

We're going to a Corps of Engineers CG in western SC. $13/night.

We're driving up from the Florida Panhandle. Not sure exactly where we'll try to watch from in the Nebraska/Wyoming path.  We plan to keep an eye on the weather forecast and then decide. After the eclipse we're going to Colorado. Starting at RMNP and gradually working our way to Great Sand Dunes NP.  Looking forward to seeing some new scenery in your beautiful state, Firedave.

The path of totality passes over Grand Teton National Park. If you don't need hookups, most of the campgrounds in the park are first come, first served. Since they don't accept reservations, they aren't booked up for the eclipse. I have no guess, as to how many days in advance you would need to be there in order to get a site.

Joel

I am driving up to Tennessee to stay with my nephew to watch it. Apparently he said that they are renting rooms out for $3k a night up there! I told him I would be more than happy to sleep on the couch for a fee  :)
I also told him to look into renting his driveway out for the night to RV'ers. I won't be taking mine since they have a guest room and its only about a 12hr drive from where I am.

If anyone is still looking at boondocking options in Nebraska, you might check Hidden Valley Campground outside Arnold NE, it is on a large hunting preserve and still had dry camping spots a couple of weeks ago, prices were reasonable, I was waitlisted there for full hookups before I found the place I have booked for electric hookup only outside Douglas WY.

Great Horned Owl said:
The path of totality passes over Grand Teton National Park. If you don't need hookups, most of the campgrounds in the park are first come, first served. Since they don't accept reservations, they aren't booked up for the eclipse. I have no guess, as to how many days in advance you would need to be there in order to get a site.

Joel

Sshhhhhh  that's where we are planning to go and I'm nervous we won't get a spot.?

Great Horned Owl said:

Joel
I don't remember if the CG's have a 7 day or 14 day limit.  I would plan on being in the CG at 8am either 7 or 14 days before.  Or better yet, park outside the park the day before and drive in the evening before the 7 or 14 day cutoff and start asking the campers if they are leaving the next morning.  If they are leaving, ask if they would save the site for you and that you will be by whenever they plan on getting up in the morning and putting your payment tag on the campsite.

About boondocking for the eclipse.  I would suggest you go to the area you plan on staying at least a week to 10 days before and setup your camp for the eclipse.  If you wait to the Friday before the eclipse you may have trouble finding a spot to boondock.

AStravelers said:
I don't remember if the CG's have a 7 day or 14 day limit.  I would plan on being in the CG at 8am either 7 or 14 days before.  Or better yet, park outside the park the day before and drive in the evening before the 7 or 14 day cutoff and start asking the campers if they are leaving the next morning.  If they are leaving, ask if they would save the site for you and that you will be by whenever they plan on getting up in the morning and putting your payment tag on the campsite.
Good idea thanks.

We're going.  Just not sure where.  We've narrowed it down to Eastern Oregon or Idaho.  Here's a list of all the cities in the various states that are in the path.  http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/in_the_path.htm  Note that the duration of the eclipse varies based on location.  Across the country, it varies from less than 30 seconds to more than 2 minutes and 40 seconds.  Wherever we end up, it will likely be in an area with close to 2 minutes of total eclipse time.  We plan to boon dock, so will be looking for remote areas between the cities we've identified.  For example, five Oregon cities in the path are; Madras, 2:02; Mitchell, 2:04; Dayville, 2:01; Mt. Vernon, 2:00 and John Day, 2:01.  Anyone interested in meeting in that area, post a reply, or send me a PM.

We will be driving from Mama Gertie's in Asheville to Creekside RV in Pigeon Forge that day. We plan on getting into PF early enough to unhitch, set up and drive back into the mountains before 2:30. We'll just pull off on the side of the road. We had no problems getting reservations at Creekside because they are out of the path of totality.

John Stephens said:
We will be driving from Mama Gertie's in Asheville to Creekside RV in Pigeon Forge that day. We plan on getting into PF early enough to unhitch, set up and drive back into the mountains before 2:30. We'll just pull off on the side of the road. We had no problems getting reservations at Creekside because they are out of the path of totality.
If you are planning on taking your RV to PF on the morning of 8/21 and then go see the eclipse that afternoon you could have a problem.  There may be a 1000 other people that same afternoon trying to get to the same viewing place you are going to. 

There are some unique benefits that go along with being old and infirm.  One of those might include being able to watch this historic eclipse from our recliners watching TV.  No traffic in our living room.  No fear of having the bank account drained by outrageous camping fees.  I'm telling you guys ... getting old definitely has its perks and it's so much better than the alternative.  ;D

AStravelers said:
If you are planning on taking your RV to PF on the morning of 8/21 and then go see the eclipse that afternoon you could have a problem.  There may be a 1000 other people that same afternoon trying to get to the same viewing place you are going to.

That is very possible and we really don't know what to expect. Our original plan was to drive from Asheville to Cherokee on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. to take in the sights, arriving in Cherokee no later than 2PM. Watch the eclipse and then drive up US441 to Pigeon Forge through the mountains. I was talked out of doing that because we're towing a full sized sedan behind a gasser. Too many people on this forum were against the idea, so I decided to take I-40 across the north part of the mountains. I called the campground we're going to stay at in PF and was told I would be allowed to get in as early as 11AM instead of having to wait for the usual 1PM check in time. This hopefully will give us enough time to unhitch, set up and drive out of town. Now here's where I have no clue on how much traffic there will be: the owner of the campground where we'll be staying tells me that there is no need to drive all the way back through the Smokies to Cherokee because the path of totality will cross just south of Wears Valley and if we head to a tiny town called Townsend, we should have good luck. Instead of taking US441, which is the main road through the mountains, we'll take US321, which is the road our campground is next to. Hopefully, if we pull out and turn south instead of north to town, we will have clear sailing. Of course, as you say, there may 1,000 other people with the same idea, but interestingly enough, I had no problem getting reservations for the campsite for that day, telling me there may be no problem.

Tom - the eclipse just happens to be a bonus for us. We had planned a trip to Asheville to see the son and grandkids not even knowing what day the eclipse was taking place. Only after I had made my reservations in both Asheville and Pigeon Forge did I realize I would be traveling between the two locations on the right day. So we simply worked it into our plans. Otherwise, I would be right there with you, except in my own living room.

I don't know if anyone is still looking for places in Nebraska, but I found a few by doing a Google search like this one - "Arnold Nebraska eclipse" - with the quotation marks.  Lots of farmers are seeing this as way to earn a bit of extra money and are turning their fields into dry camping areas. We have reserved the 19th and 20th in Beatrice, and reserved the 20th in Stapleton.  Not that much money to reserve that extra 20th date and gives us some flexibility if the weather is better one place than the other.  We had originally planned to truly boondock somewhere, but worried that too many other people would have the same idea and we'd end up with no place to park.  Finger crossed for clear skies all along the part of totality.

We will be leaving home on the 9th, boondocking our way to our daughter's place in Taylors, SC.  She is right on the path of totality.  It'll be our very first trip in a MH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom