Bought 2 new chassis batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was probably what was needed in the old days of these electrical systems.

For now leaving it there.

I just called CoLaws RV Parts, we have bought many things from them for other old TT's and motorhomes, they seem to have everything.

Well wouldn't you know before I could start describing the main power panel in the outside bay I would like to replace he said yep, we have them.  I said what if we don't want the inverter hooked up to it, he said just leave it out.  Well I assume cap off the wires etc just to be safe that comes from the motorhome body.  He said its new and a replacement panel for whats in there.  It's only a $100, I can hardly believe that.  They are shipping it today and he said if its not what we need we can return it.  That was something I wanted to replace anyway because of the age, so that makes me very happy.  I described the shore plug coming in and the wires at the top and he said that's it.

I will check with others and keep talking to folks and I bet eventually that baby ATS will be gone but for now its there.  I will just go ahead and take it down to Feltons have him take a look and see what needs to be done with that.  They work on these very big coaches and if we are down to just that the expense shouldn't be that great.  I will just feel better with either a new one if we need it or to get rid of it if we don't.  But I'm going to wait until Tom goes over what he wants to this trip home so it won't be in the shop while he is here  or he may get to that too.  I'm sure after I've talked about it so much he will want to look it over.

Hey, giving me credit for even being an amateur is a step up!! ;D

Just Lou said:
Carolyn, many of us engineering and technical DIYers would love to be there observing and assisting in the diagnosis and resolution of your coach electrical issues, but are reluctant to make assumptions or recommendations without that hands-on aspect.  The consequences could simply be too great.

Please be careful.  AC electricity can be very dangerous.

I was giving someone advice on another forum and he ended up shorting his battery cable while it was still connected to a battery.  No injuries but he easily could have ended up badly burned.  I don't try to give electrical advice any more unless it's clear that the person asking has the skills to perform the repairs or modifications safely. 

I don't but my friend does.  He is just unfamiliar with motorhomes, but he is learnin' fast. He does work for my husband at times.

Hey, this may be working.  Hubby said why don't you and Sue Anne go on a cruise or a trip or something and let me look over that.  A man after my own heart!! 8) ;D

Mr Frugal has finally decided to loosen the purse strings. He is being delayed 12 days before he gets home. He said he got to thinking about all he wants to go over and he said He likely can't get it done in a year as he is home so little. Hey, I did not NAG. I just kind of let it go, I was wondering when he would realize this.  I would just say, maybe I can do this or that so I can help. Guess he decided to get it fixed. He has an awful time letting go as he knows how to go over things and hates to spend money for things he can do himself, (yes, and is generally more thorough) and I understand that.

He wants all the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses changed. He said he will send me a list of what he wants gone over. We have a truck service up the road and he said he thinks it would be a good place to take it for a chassis go over. I don't know what all he wants them to look at but I guess I will soon.

He said also have the new AC's put in and while I'm at it get a satellite dome, we don't get in motion just stationary. Like he said till the roof is closed up can't do much with it anyway.

So who knows I will end up going about the time the garden comes in! Hard to work around that.

Sounds good to me. :)

My husband had me check this place out  Tire & Truck Masters

It appears to be a family owned operation and there was every kind of semi in there.  I asked if they worked on motorhomes and she said they sure do.  Not only that they have 24 hour road service.    She also told me their rates are a lot less then the RV service places.  So we are going to give them a try, also with the generator since there is nothing wrong with it. 

Here is their website www.tireandtruckmasters.com

We have not used them yet so I can't say good or bad but appears if you break down in the area you can get road service.  That is in the I 45 Spring or Conroe area, I don't know about the I 59 Humble area, these are all north of Houston.

Will comment on their service after we have it.  But they have been there a long time.  She did tell me they don't do warranty work.

Edit: Fix URL

I found it in my search list and it gave a brief description of the types of repairs they do and the phone number plus a map of the location.  It showed up 4 or 5 down the list.  And yes when I went on to another site it showed under construction.

Camperland gave me a price on 2 13,500 AC's installed, did not get brand name of them.  These are controlled from the unit, no thermostat attached nor any of the newer fancy items of $610.51 each plus $90 for each installation.  Not bad at all I don't think.  She recommended not getting the heat strip, she said they are $65 each but hardly anyone gets them and they consider it a waste of money.  I don't care, this was a hubby thing, so will try to disuade him.  I know all they do is take the chill off, he thought that would be good.

Checked another place much higher.

As far as a satellite dome Road Trip Mission is one, never heard of it.  They had one that is mounted flat and one that has 3 feet on the roof.  They had another that mounts on a ladder but we do not have a ladder.  She said anywhere from $900 to $1260 depending.  Ours will not be an inmotion but stationary.  Will discuss when I get the AC's done.

Carolyn, living in a hot climate as you do, you might want to compare the price of 15,000 btu air conditioners against the 13,500 btu.  We got the 15,000s on our current motorhome and really like them.  They do cool better when it's over 100 degrees outside.  I have no idea how much they cost these days, but it's worth checking to see the difference.

ArdraF

Humm, I wonder if the same wiring will accomodate both.  I agree about the heat and wondered about that but didn't ask.

I don't know.  That's out of my league!  ::)

ArdraF

Carolyn,
If "Ours will not be an inmotion but stationary", then the dome may not be the best choice. Something like the Winegard Travel'r will offer better reception (the domes are subject to drop out with even a little dew on them and don't work for HD) and about the same price. I have the unit noted and installed it in three hours. Worked the first time I turned it on. I paid $1,300 total.
At least check around here; there are several recent discussions about this.
Regards,
Ernie

We had the winguard minnie dome on the Sightseer and I never had problems with it though I heard people did. Hubby didn't care for the look as it looked like a little top hat stuck up there and I thought it was cute.  ???

The Travel'r is not a dome, but a standard oval antenna that folds flat against the roof for travel and automatically finds the satellites when you turn it on after stopping. The antenna itself is significantly larger (area) than that used in the domes; that's why it works better.
Ernie

I went to Camperland and talked to them about the AC's, he said the 15000's are about $100 each more so I'm going to get those.

He has a new Winegard he ordered and will give me a discount so he doesn't have to send it back.  $918 doesn't sound like a discount to me, then labor of approx $270 on top of that, ouch.  But hubby said do it because he wasn't sure how to wire that up.

I got my new coach/chassis switch today and put it in.  Was going to leave the old back plate on the wall and thought better of it.  Got it off and looked at it.  It had been pushed so much over the years it had worn the raised plastic piece on it.  Also looked like a bit of phosphorescence on a little area of the back.  That was a VERY necessary replacement I needed for a whole $59. The coach button worked but the chassis didn't unless you could touch it just right.  So another little item fixed.

They are going to order the AC's so they can take the coach in and fix it since I have those 2 holes open to the world.

Thanks Arda, the 15's were a passing item Tom had thought of but we really hadn't pursued.

I bought the Interstate batteries for the chassis, they were $300 for 2, kind of pricey but I beleive they are 975 starting power, either that or 950, can check tomorrow.

The converter/charger and module seems to be maintaining the batteries well at 12.70.  I know when I drive they will charge up more.

Now items I thought didn't work do and I know its because the batteries were so low.

I turned the fridge on electric tonight and going to see if it gets good and cold.  There is no rust in it.  Even on the 2005 there was rust by the fins inside but not this one and I'm sure its not new.  Certainly doesn't look like its had use though.

The water pump turned on, I know city water works, need to put water in the tank and check the pump system out.  Need to get the filter core out and replace it you can still buy that brand.

Have one more Maxx Air to put on, those were simple and one more skylight.  I was washing the roof off with water and some simple Green.  That is a good hard rubber, not sure what to compare it too, maybe something like a dishpan material, its smooth and washes off nicely.  No chalking from this.

I told Tom once the AC's are on it should be good and tight up top.  I do want him to check the manual antenna because I read there is a gasket under there and I don't want it to leak around it.  We are also replacing all the clearance lights as the gaskets around them are deteriorated.  We had some leaks will be interesting to see if this cured it, bet it did.

We are also adding a new TV, but where to put it?  He wants the back space wired and the front space plus one extra somewhere where we could put one if we want.  He wants one attached as he is afraid one we take out of a bay and set up will get broken.  I will have to look around and see where we can put one.  Where the little space is up front is very small and I don't think you can put one on the front of that space.

It is a shame to see a lovely old motorhome like this just let go.  It wasn't abused that I can see, I think the last several years it just sat and didn't get used, this heat will deteriorate any rubber down here.  Seeing the industry the owner was in, I imagine they could no longer afford to maintain it.  They had put new tires on it and likely were going to do more and then for some reason just stopped. likely lack of money, or perhaps a change in family circumstances.

I just hope we can afford to bring it back to what it should be.  Thankfully the interior is in pretty good shape.  I decided to get a new mattress the other was 20 years old and even after taking out the 2 spots I just couldn't bring myself to use it. I'm going to have one made by that company in New Jersey where I got the ones made for the first old motorhome, they were wonderful.  Also have the new convection microwave oven.  And I need one panel of mirror replaced that's pretty much it for the inside.

Tom wants me to make our first few outings closer to home, the Hill country, Matagorda, and places till we know all is well with the mechanicals.  Sounds sensible to me.  I was really wanting to go to that Fleetwood rally in Indiana, but guess we need to wait and see how it goes first.  If we don't this year we can always go next year. 

Ok, fridge works on both gas and electric, yah rah!  That would have been a major expense.  I am finding that the very low batteries were causing several items not to do right, from the gas sniffer to lights to the water pump not coming on. 

What a difference a little converter, charger,  2 new chassis batteries, and a chassis/coach button made in the functioning of things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superskip
Back
Top Bottom