Brake Controller Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrnXnham

I bought a used Ford F150 two years ago and I have been pulling my 7000lb trailer with it. The trailer has 4 wheel electric brakes. I have a Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer brake controller in the truck.  It came with the truck so I don't know how old the brake controller is. It appears to have been working fine for the last two years while towing.

Lately, I've noticed that while driving the truck without the trailer attached, the brake controller seems to be "sticking" Normally the red light on the brake controller gets brighter and brighter the longer I hold down the brakes and then it shuts off when I release the brakes.

But recently I've noticed the red light on the controller staying bright for several seconds after I release the brakes and start accelerating again. Other times the red light doesn't even come on when I'm braking. 3/4 of the time it appears to work correctly. This appears like it will be a disaster if I attach the trailer so I haven't even tried that yet. I can't have the brakes dragging on the trailer while I'm accelerating and then not working while I'm braking.

This is my 1st brake controller so I'm not sure if I just need a new controller or it's something else. Any ideas? Should I just buy another controller and swap it out or do you think this would be something wrong with the signal that the truck is giving the controller? Anyone else ever seen a brake controller behave this way?

Sorry, newbie question I know. I'm fairly new to towing in general.

Thanks.

The controllers are usually activated by the brake light switch, either with a preinstalled harness from the factory if the truck had a towing package or spliced in if someone installed it on their own.  It's possible the brake light switch could be sticking.  You'd have to have someone behind you and communicate with them to see if you brake lights are on after you release the brakes.  Otherwise it could be fault inside the unit.

I had a similar issue.  The genius that wired my vehicle was smart enough to run the wire that goes to the rear plug under the frame rail instead of on top and as a result, touching the muffler.  It melted the insulation on the wire and shorting the brake controller. 

Under normal conditions, the LED on mine only comes on if the trailer is plugged.  Green without the brakes applied and a shade of orange to red depending on how much braking is applied.  With that short, the light was red all the time and buzzed. 

By the intermittent problems you are describing, it could be faulty wiring or your controller is starting to let go.  Wiring is cheaper than a brake controller, may be worth checking that all connections are good.

Double check all the wiring.  Get the manual, if you can.

Better yet, start over with a Prodigy...you'll thank yourself.

Prodigy p3 Best controller I have used. Dont need to mess around pretty much plug and play.

Dittos on the Prodigy, I have had them all and none came close to the Prodigy (inertia chip technology). If your truck is 2004 or newer and came with the tow package , the truck is factory wired for the brake controller, you can buy the cable for the prodigy that plugs into the controller and the truck, no other wiring required. Plug for controller is located at bottom of dash panel above your right knee. If older truck or no package just  splice the wires from your present controller to the new one, I would make sure you have a blocking diode on wire to brake switch, this prevents the brakes from pulsing when you turn on the 4 way flashes. Happy towing.

"I would make sure you have a blocking diode on wire to brake switch, this prevents the brakes from pulsing when you turn on the 4 way flashes." Hmm, I just installed a controller in my truck and never considered that. Is it normally an issue?

Roy, If you have a modern vehicle that was factory wired for a plug and play controller install, it should not be a problem, if you wired the vehicle you will most likely need the diode.Good luck, its easy to install!

If you have an inertial controller (e.g. Tekonsha) the flashers probably won't be a problem. The controller may trigger but it will see that no braking is taking place on the tow vehicle and it will do nothing. If it is a timed type controller than the trailer brakes will pulse in time with the flashers unless you have the diode. Of course, when you don't use the flashers there is no problem.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

It appears the brake controller was the problem. When the light on the controller was "stuck" on, I could slide the manual lever and the light would flicker and shut off OR when the light on the controller was stuck off, I could make it come on by jiggling the manual slider. Also, the brake lights were coming on and the controller's light was not.

I took everyone's advice here and got a Prodigy. Got it installed but haven't attached to the trailer yet. Got to find a big parking lot this weekend.

Thanks

Wow!

Now I'm glad that my old controller blew up! The Prodigy is much better than the Hayes Lemmerz. The annoying thing about my old controller was the delay between when I braked the truck and when the trailer braked, because the old controller simply braked harder and harder the longer I held down the brakes.

The Prodigy doesn't do that. Now braking is constant, smoother, and less grabby. The trailer brakes now don't feel as "separated" from the truck brakes like they did before.

A real improvement. I'd recommend the Prodigy to anyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom