Brake light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

New to me '03 Tiffin Allegra bus, there are four lights each side of back. Yellow top, two reds, and white. When I brake, the yellow and top red come on. The bottom red only works as a running light even tho it is a dual filament bulb. I would think the two red would come on and not the yellow at all. What do you think?

Since you have separate stop, tail, and turn lights (red, red, yellow), none of them should have double-filament bulbs or sockets designed for them. You may have single filament bulb sockets with double-filaments jammed in but possibly contacting both pins on the bulb. The yellow light should only come on with the turn signal, but it's possible the wires got switched. I think the top fixture should be turn signal only (yellow), but I guess it doesn't hurt if it comes on with the brake light below it..

Previous owner could have made a strange modification to pull a trailer with combined brake/turn signals. Maybe a bad light converter.

Since you have separate stop, tail, and turn lights (red, red, yellow), none of them should have double-filament bulbs or sockets designed for them. You may have single filament bulb sockets with double-filaments jammed in but possibly contacting both pins on the bulb. The yellow light should only come on with the turn signal, but it's possible the wires got switched. I think the top fixture should be turn signal only (yellow), but I guess it doesn't hurt if it comes on with the brake light below it..
I actually did that once with interior sconce lights. The new LED bulb would illuminate at random. I removed the bulb cleaned the contacts, then tried to clean the fixture contacts with a pencil eraser. That's when i realized my error.

I actually did that once with interior sconce lights. The new LED bulb would illuminate at random. I removed the bulb cleaned the contacts, then tried to clean the fixture contacts with a pencil eraser. That's when i realized my error.
My sconce lights use a double contact bulb, but it's only got one filament, and the pins aren't staggered like on an 1157 bulb. Apparently they do not ground through the sides of the socket like the tail light bulbs do.

Previous owner could have made a strange modification to pull a trailer with combined brake/turn signals.
Does the RV have one of the flat, 4 wire trailer connectors to tow a trailer? If it does, that type connection shares the same lead for brake lights and turn signals, a wire for left and one for right that operates both. That is because small trailers typically use one brake light flashing as the turn signal. If that is the case then the wires being connected in that way without the use of a blocking diode would give you the symptoms that you have.

All 4 (2 left, 2 right) bulb sockets behind the red lenses ARE dual filament sockets (3 wires to socket).

Back
Top Bottom