Braking Downhill Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it only takes a small application, not enough to cause any undue wear, and you're probably going to use the service brakes anyway on a downgrade.  And one less pedal is certainly a plus for those of us with only 2 feet :)  The no brainer aspect is certainly a big advantage.

The after market item that Ned mentioned is called a "BrakeSwitch"  If you belong to the Freightliner chassis club, go to the web site and there is a link there.  Also there is a discount for the unit if you belong to the club.

Search for > breakswitch < and I think you will find the information on it.  I installed it myself.  The latch mode Ned mentioned is available for the Allison trans but it will cost you for them to reprogram the computer on the MH.  For me, the "BrakeSwitch" was a cheaper alternative as I would have had to travel several hundred miles just to get to and from a CAT/Allison dealer and then pay for the programming.  :-((

My wife is the primary driver and she loves it and I find it rather nice too when I do drive.

Hi Jim,

I've seen you and Jeff Cousins talk about the Brake Switch previously and I researched it at that time. There's nowt wrong with it, but I just happen to have IMO a better solution  ;D

Tom,

It was SWMBOed's choice as she does most of the driving lately.  I can go either way and in fact would have no problem just feathering the accelerator to control the EB.  I had done that while I was driving but SWMBOed did not catch on to that method and was always turning the EB off and then complaining that it took too long to turn it on!!  VBG

She's happy now and that means I am over joyed!!  VBG

Now about the new carpeting and flooring, the sunvisors, etc., etc., to keep her happy!  ;-((

Fortunately Sam is happy with the original installation as am I.  I just don't see what I would want different and the peddle thing just doesn't appeal to me.

I felt the same way Ron, even after I bought the pedal. I was on my way back to the Monaco parts trailer at a rally to return it when I ran into Jerry and Ardra. They convinced Chris and me to keep it and to have it installed. We weren't easily convinced, but we're really glad they persevered.

Having both the rocker switch and the pedal available has allowed us to evaluate one against the other on the same long downhill grades and there's no comparison in the way they function. With the pedal, the driver determines when the PacBrake is applied, not the accelerator position. This also allows the driver to override the arbitrary request to downshift to 2nd gear, making for much smoother braking.

If you or Sam tried it, I'm sure you'd appreciate the difference.

Some overland buses have eddy-current retarders (hope that is the correct word for this thing...). Has any MH such a kind of break? What are the differences between eddy-current retarders and exhaust breaks for the driver?

Mike,

Here's an article in our library that briefly discusses various types of supplemental braking systems & retarders. I've not personally experienced any of the retarders, so I can't comment.    *

Given the choice between PacBrake and Jake Brake, I'd choose Jake Brake, although our coach came with the PB installed. The JB is far more effective and is variable by the driver determining how many cylinders will be used for braking. If/when we buy another coach, I'll be specifying the JB. OTOH if I had an opportunity to experience a retarder, I might change my mind about that choice.

Mike,

That particular article is lacking in detail and I need to add more meat to the bones. I'll put it on the to-do list for a rainy day.

you're probably going to use the service brakes anyway on a downgrade

Ned,

Not necessarily.  The only time we need to use the service brake is on a very steep and/or curvy road.  We can do a 10-mile downhill run without ever touching the service brakes.  In fact, the other day, Jerry drove the I-70 portion from Richfield to Green River (about 120 miles), and he only touched the service brakes once on an 8-mile 6 percent grade.  He barely touched them then, and only because we were coming to a curve with a lower speed limit.  The next time he used them was when we got off I-70 at Green River.  I believe there are a lot of misconceptions about exhaust brakes and the pedal vs. rocker switch issue.  I would NEVER want to go back to a rocker switch because the pedal is SO much easier to use!  I suspect you would be amazed at the difference if you could try them both as Tom and Chris did.  Also, I agree with Tom - we like the Jake better than the Pac.

ArdraF

It would depend on the grade and how well you get set up at the top.  If the grade is not too severe, we often descend without service brakes, but there is at least one application at the top to set up the speed.

I, too, would prefer a true engine brake to tour Jacobs Extarder, but there is no retrofit available, and if there were, it would be cost prohibitive.

I still say having no switch or pedal is simpler than either one :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom