Breaker panels, blowing fuses and all around frustration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So little back story. Moved to this new place here in November and was having electrical problems with our RV where the power would just shut off and we'd have no idea why. Turns out the 12v outlet was only putting out 3v of power. We've since moved to another outlet and for the most part haven't had any problems. We are now plugged into a serge protector into the outlet just in case. Occasionally we pop the serge protector but lately we've been really good about it. Usually we will be running the refrigerator, toaster oven and heater and it will go.

Just now the breaker IN the house popped. We haven't done anything different and actually have unplugged a lot of things since it's warmed up. It's getting really annoying to be honest and I'm about to go through this entire RV and start testing wires and stuff. Is there anyway to find out how much power I'm pulling with my RV (like, something that will say how much power we are using) and where do you find information on replacing fuse boxes because our motor home is a 1976 and I'd really like to bring it up to some better standards.

Hmmm. First let's get some terms straightened out.

The power outlet your RV plugs into isn't 12v - it is a 120v outlet. Same or similar to the one in a house, but probably rated for 30 amps rather than 15 or 20. Is this power outlet at an RV park site or at a residence or garage somewhere?

What is brand and model the surge protector you are using? Some of them just stop power surges (momentary high voltage), while others monitor for a variety of electrical issues. Does this protector give any error codes or fault lights when it "pops"?

Fuses are used with 12v DC (battery-like) power but 120v ac power uses circuit breakers. I doubt id replacing the fuse or circuit breaker panels will be necessary - basic electricity really hasn't changed much since 1976.

amandamwright1984 said:
Usually we will be running the refrigerator, toaster oven and heater and it will go.
That is your problem. Running all three of those will pop just about any 15 or 20 amp breaker. All three of these items draw quite a bit of power. You can't run all three at once on one circuit.

amandamwright1984 said:
Usually we will be running the refrigerator, toaster oven and heater and it will go.

I live off of 30amps in an old RV  and you have to unplug heavy duty stuff to run other heavy duty stuff. For instance, you probably can NOT run the electric heater and the toaster oven at the same time on the same circuit.

So unplug the heater, then run the toaster oven. When you are done, unplug it and replug the heater. Typically both draw 1500 watts and even in your house, you probably can not plug in two 1500 watt appliances into the same plug or circuit and expect them both to work.

It helps if you learn wattage of your appliances, especially the high wattage items like microwaves, heaters, hair dryers, toasters, ovens, electric coffee makers and so on. You can't run them all at once on the same circuits. You might be able to run the heater at one end of the RV and the toaster at the other end simultaneously if they are on different circuits.

Your best bet, is to turn off heater, run other stuff, then turn heater back on when you can.

Also, find out if your hot water is electric. Some draw 400 watts (the hybrid models) and others draw over 1000 watts for quick recovery. You might need to cycle the electric hot water off when using other stuff if it is high wattage.

If you have a propane oven, then in the winter, use the propane oven rather than the toaster oven. This will help heat the RV too and won't be tripping breakers.

I like to unplug everything when it is not in use and just plug in things as I need them. This is a good reminder and helps keep you from overloading the circuits and breakers.

Be grateful your circuits are kicking in for you. This keeps you from burning the rig down!  Don't ever replace a smaller fuse with a larger one, that is asking for trouble and fire too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom