Brief trip north

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We drove all of 5 miles this morning and arrived in Camp Monaco just before noon. Check-in was quick and extremely courteous. We're all set up for the weekend and will be ready for our service appointment Monday morning. Fortunately, although this place is out in the boonies, I have a good GPRS signal and am obviously able to get online.

LOL Jeff, noon is a little early for cocktails. Chris went shopping so I have a little time to myself.

Tom:

We have friends with a La Palma that has been down to Camp Monaco several times for warranty work.

They do not like to talk about all the repeat trips for discrepencies but talk about the "free" lunch and cocktail time while they are there. :)

Jeff

This is our first time to the Harrisburg, OR facility but we were in the Elkhart, IN facility a year ago. This was our last chance to get stuff done under the Monaco warranty, so we made the appointment to fit in with the trip.

I don't care about the free lunch (or BBQ), but they sure know how to treat their customers. They wouldn't let us leave IN until we were happy with the coach. When they tore up floor tiles to replace them, they put us up in a hotel on their dime. I didn't sense the same treatment when we walked into the Country Coach Customer Care facility yesterday.

If your service appointment is anything like we experience at American Coach you will be highly pleased.  Have a good time up there and don't forget to look for a chair. ;D

Tom said:
Jeff

This is our first time to the Harrisburg, OR facility but we were in the Elkhart, IN facility a year ago. This was our last chance to get stuff done under the Monaco warranty, so we made the appointment to fit in with the trip.

I don't care about the free lunch (or BBQ), but they sure know how to treat their customers. They wouldn't let us leave IN until we were happy with the coach. When they tore up floor tiles to replace them, they put us up in a hotel on their dime. I didn't sense the same treatment when we walked into the Country Coach Customer Care facility yesterday.

Tom,

Just to be fair to CC, when we had our galley countertop replaced, they put us up in, I believe, the Marriot Courtyard in Springfield. We had asked for the motel in town but they insisted we go to the courtyard. Since they were paying the bill, we agreed. :)

Hi Jim,

I'm sure CC treats their customers well, or they wouldn't have the repeat business they enjoy. It just seemed strange to be told at the HQ to go to the Customer Care Center to have a sales person show us coaches and, when we get there, the first reaction was "go visit the dealer down the street". When I explained I wouldn't buy another coach from that dealer, they called a sales guy. Even when we asked him for a brochure, the reaction was "they're on the wall over there somewhere".

Quite a difference when we walked into Monaco unannounced; They were falling over themselves to show us any coaches we wanted to see, answer any questions and readily provided brochures. Even Marathon, where it was clear we were tire kickers, the factory folks went out of their way to make us welcome, show us coaches and provide all the brochures we wanted.

Tom said:
Hi Jim,

I'm sure CC treats their customers well, or they wouldn't have the repeat business they enjoy. It just seemed strange to be told at the HQ to go to the Customer Care Center to have a sales person show us coaches and, when we get there, the first reaction was "go visit the dealer down the street". When I explained I wouldn't buy another coach from that dealer, they called a sales guy. Even when we asked him for a brochure, the reaction was "they're on the wall over there somewhere".

Quite a difference when we walked into Monaco unannounced; They were falling over themselves to show us any coaches we wanted to see, answer any questions and readily provided brochures. Even Marathon, where it was clear we were tire kickers, the factory folks went out of their way to make us welcome, show us coaches and provide all the brochures we wanted.

Sounds like they have changed since we owned a CC. I know there has been a big shakeup recently with Bob Lee coming back as CEO. I wasn't impressed with him when we met but we were treated well by the Customer Care folks.

When doing the tour at American Coach, they have you sit in a conference room where all the brochures are available and the guide goes over the information on the product. Then they take you on a tour with headsets so you don't miss anything being said. It's pretty noisy on the line as I'm sure it is in all plants. If there are some finished coaches in the yard they usually let you look at them.

I may have to do the tour at Allegro someday. I've done the PDI on a few Phaetons and am impressed with the improvement over the past couple of years. They still use paper faced wood for the cabinet structure but there's quite a bit of real wood as well. The coach rides well and is very quiet. Unfortunately the price is up there around $200K.

Jim Dick said:
Then they take you on a tour with headsets so you don't miss anything being said.

They did that at the Monaco coach factory in Indiana, although it was only Chris and I on the tour. They didn't use headsets on the Roadmaster chassis tour, but I just made sure I stayed close to the guide to be sure I could hear. In the latter case, the guy was a (very knowledgeable) guy off the line and he had no problem making himself heard.

Tom,

I think all tours should use headsets. Many of us have a very difficult time hearing the tour guide. :) The first time I ran into this was at the Wooly Mamoth site in SD. They didn't use headsets but had a bank of telephone handsets at each station. You just picked up the set and could hear everything very clearly.

When we arrived at Camp Monaco Friday noon the place was almost empty. After 3.00pm, as the techs were finishing up for the day and moved coaches back to the campground, it got to approx half full. Starting yesterday (Sat), lots more coaches came in and the place is pretty close to full. I hope they don't all have the same appointment time tomorrow  ;D

Tom said:
When we arrived at Camp Monaco Friday noon the place was almost empty. After 3.00pm, as the techs were finishing up for the day and moved coaches back to the campground, it got to approx half full. Starting yesterday (Sat), lots more coaches came in and the place is pretty close to full. I hope they don't all have the same appointment time tomorrow  ;D

Whenever we have an appointment at Camp American Coach I try to arrive on Friday afternoon. All the units being released that day are usually on their way and most units due for the next week haven't arrived. It's really amazing how many come in especially on Sunday!

I'll make sure I arrive Friday again next time I come Jim. There are a dozen or so coaches dry camping and waiting for campsites to come free. Some of those folks are not happy campers. This really is a big service facility; They have 42 bays and also work on some coaches outside when the bays are all full. This is the old Safari plant that was converted to a service facility. They apparently do a lot of extended service contract work in addition to warranty stuff.

Tom,

I can't remember how many bays AC has but it's quite a few. They also have a separate building which is the paint shop. In the main facility you are allowed to stay in your rig if you aren't going to be in the way of the techs. In the paint shop you must leave the coach.

We'd planned on being home in time to participate in an on-the-water event this weekend. Instead, we're going to be here at Camp Monaco for another week. Hopefully the mechanical and electrical stuff will be complete today, but our sofa is being re-upholstered next week.

Monaco has a concierge on site and organizes all kinds of entertainment every day. The ladies have a craft group going which is helping to keep Chris busy. I took a tour of the cabinet shop and have attended a few seminars. Yesterday we had an informative Q&A session with a Cummins Northwest guy. Last night he emailed me a copy of a handout and I've asked for permission to upload it here.

I try not to get in the tech's way, but I've been making sure I understand what he's working on, progress and results. I'm also ensuring the tech understands what I need done, rather than relying on notes made by a service writer. Next week I guess we can go back to sightseeing and I might get some fishing in.

Sounds like Monaco makes sure they keep everyone busy and not thinking about their coach. :) I see too many people just sitting around the waiting room day after day. There are things to do around the area but many don't seem to want to move. We try to get out to other areas to see what is around.

Jim Dick said:
There are things to do around the area but many don't seem to want to move.

That's what we see Jim. Chris and I did the tourist spots during the first few weeks of the trip, but there are still lots of places we haven't been.

Tom said:
That's what we see Jim. Chris and I did the tourist spots during the first few weeks of the trip, but there are still lots of places we haven't been.

So many places, so little time. :)

Finally got all our stuff done at the service center and are headed home this morning. Two weeks here was too long for us. With half the techs gone to the Beaver rally this week, I thought we might be stuck here another week. But I figured I'd be the squeaky wheel and they got the last thing complete an hour before the techs left for the weekend.

The newly re-upholstered sofa looks good (I'll snap a photo later). Chris coordinated the color with the rest of the decor and she's a happy camper.

I hear the stripers in the CA Delta have grown significantly the last few weeks, so I'm eager to get back on the water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom