British couple buying RV in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't even go there. I feel like an alien sometimes, even Google can't understand me and I'm honestly not that bad! šŸ˜‚
Don't feel bad. For years, I've never been able to get voice recognition software/devices to understand anything I say. Yesterday, a new (to me) hairdresser asked "is your accent from Lithuania?"

Not quite. After a few guesses and a hint, she asked "is it a British accent?"

That's four countries - England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. "That's it, you're Scottish".

You're excused for that guess; Many non-Brits guess Scottish.

At our first Quartszite rally, staffer Jeff Cousins said "your brogue sure doesn't come out online" :)

Iā€™m from the south. My wife is from NY. When her relatives visited they would ask my wife ā€œAsk your husband to say something.ā€ I was allowed to record the answering machine intro. Voice recognition devices also have a hard time with my accent also.

We understand that in California that pollution laws may effect the type of vehicle we are allowed to buy.
For clarification, you don't need to worry about California smog laws unless you buy &/or register a vehicle here. Vehicles registered in other states can and do visit California all the time.
In the unlikely event you buy/register a vehicle in CA, it will be required to pass a smog test.
Of course, if your (non-California) vehicle emits smoke like a coal fire chimney, you'll attract attention and will likely be stopped.

For clarification, we are talking about multiple different taxes here.

1. Sales tax is a one time assessment on a purchase and the amount is a percentage of the selling price) is determined by the state and/or municipality that collects it. It is typically collected at the point where the goods change hands (the point of delivery), but for vehicles that may deemed to be legally elsewhere, i.e. where the new title is legally issued.
  2. Real property tax, asessed on land and fixed improvements to the land, e.g. buildings. Assessed by the jurisdiction in which the real property is located and collected annually. Does not apply to any portable property.
  3. Personal property tax, assessed on certain physical goods other than real property and collected annually. Examples may include vehicles, boats, and other high value personal items. What is taxed and at what rate is determined at the state, county or city level. Not all states have a personal property tax.

Don't get hung up on using friends addresses. Generally, lower cost states (such as Montanna if you go LLC) make a hugh difference in overall cost. For example I'd suggest Texas or Florida and in a rural area to hold Taxes down and control insurance cost down.

Rural areas typically are less likely to require polution testing. Registration costs are lower in TX and FL (no state inspection) than high tax states like California (perhaps the last place I'd recommend). Either has Escapees club locations that can be used to provide an address and mail forwarding.

Etc., etc, etc. Do your homework here and you can save significant $$$$.

Ernie

Several years ago we met a German couple that were spending a year traveling the US. They had bought a new truck and fifth wheel trailer from a dealer in South Dakota. When we came across them was about month 9-10 of their adventure. They were heading to Canada and going east to wind up back in South Dakota where they had arranged with the selling dealer to take it in and sell it for them. For 2-3 months this may not be a viable option. But it is an option.
Your best choices to buy, license will be Florida, Texas, and South Dakots. Any other states can likely tax you nearly to death on your purchase.

Feel free to drop me a message too. We have spent 4 years doing 6 month trips. Happy to help.
Hi Jackie. We have just spent over 2.5 hours on the phone with Tony, which was just fantastic for covering the many things we need to think about. Sounds like the Montana LLC is a good way to go. Tony has our email so that we can stay in touch.

Sounds like the Montana LLC is a good way to go.
Good decision; That should make things a lot less complicated. Be sure to let us know how things work out, and post updates on your travels.

Hi Jackie. We have just spent over 2.5 hours on the phone with Tony, which was just fantastic for covering the many things we need to think about. Sounds like the Montana LLC is a good way to go. Tony has our email so that we can stay in touch.
It's so rewarding to be able to pass on the help one gets from others on this forum. Even better when those you help actually get to realise their dream.

It's so rewarding to be able to pass on the help one gets from others on this forum. Even better when those you help actually get to realise their dream.
Aye Tony, one reason many of us have been here for many years. But I have to say you really went above and beyond, spending 2.5 hours on the phone to help KatTab.

Aye Tony, one reason many of us have been here for many years. But I have to say you really went above and beyond, spending 2.5 hours on the phone to help KatTab.
That's not long for Tony, my telephone ear is now double the size it used to be. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom