Broken awing over Suite Slide on 98 HR Endeavor! Please Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayakfl1982

So yesterday, I was doing my own (well at least attempting) to do a pre-inspection on the 98 Endeavor.  Everything looks great! Well, the sale rep was pulling in the suite slide and we hear a loud POP!  I ran outside and saw that the awning was broken.  I did not have access to a ladder so I could not figure out what part broke.  The sale rep say that most likely he will have someone in parts to fix it.  Yeah right!!!

I called him today, and he said that he will not be able to get anyone to fix it. Though he did mention to get a couple of quote to fix the awning so that we can deal a lower price.  So, this morning I called Colorado Carefree and they were not able to get me a quote because I dont know how long the awning is. I just don't know what my next step is to get a couple of prices.  Does anyone know the price or who else I can get a quote from. Right now I am in Central Florida, Auburndale to be truthful.

The MH is 98 HR Endeavor 37 CDS

I will need a complete replacement price.  Please help if you know what the length is or any info would be a great help.  Thanks and have a wonderful day.

When you say "pre-inspection", was this an inspection prior to you picking it up from the dealer, after purchasing it?  If so, and the awning was working properly when the rig was shown to you, I would think that the dealer would be obligated to fix it, to the condition that it was in when first shown to you.
If it was a pre-inspection prior to you paying for it, and you haven't signed any final paperwork, I would walk on the unit unless the dealer repairs the awning.
Without knowing the length or level of the awning it would be hard to price it, but as an example, a new 16 foot awning can run between $1000 and $2000.Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy for responding to my post so quickly. 

I do not own it yet. The only thing that I have done is put down is $1000 deposit.  The sales rep and I were check off the personal inspection list.  Tomorrow, I have a professional inspector coming in to do a pre-inspection on the unit.  Do you really think that I should just walk away and why?  The unit is price really well at $30K with 88k miles in excellent condition.   
Thanks, Kristen

I don't understand why repairing the awning is your responsibility if you do not yet own the rig and the sales rep was the one pulling in the slide.  What am I missing?

It seems that you are in love with it before you even purchase it.

Fall out of love and tell them you want your $1,000 back. You'll get a reaction.

If the awning was working, not broken, when they first showed the rig, than that's what you should be getting when you pick it up.  It's their responsibility to fix it prior to your final signing.  If the dealer can't or won't fix it than you could do one of several things---
Get your deposit back and walk away.  You put the deposit on a rig what was in working order, and your not getting it in working order.
Get the length of the awning and get a price for the same type/quality/length of a new awning, installed.  Than get the dealer to knock off that much from the price and get a new awning.
Make sure your inspector is aware of the problem with the awning.  It mayby something simple, like a broken spring, or major such as the entire awniong pulling away fron the coach.
Personally, with all the used rigs out there this time of year, if the dealer gives you a hard time, I'd walk.  Plenty of other units too look at.

Just for the heck of it I checked the RV Trader and found several HR Endevour's for sale for less than what your dealer is asking, some with fewer miles.  Do a quick search.
Grumpy

kayak, one other issue you should be aware of.  I read your post under the Intro site, and you said the tires were replaced in 2010, but look new.  With rv's its not so much the milage thats on em, but the age of the tires.  Most rv's never go through the tread as their not driven as much as a car/truck.  With rv's it's age and sitting for long periods that degrade them.  The ones on the HR, at 5 years old, probably have another year or two before, for safty's sake, they should be replaced.  Others may push this to 8-10 years, but 6-7 years is erring on the safety side.  Also, check the date code on them.  They may have been put on in 2010, but could have been  a year or two old when they were put on.  Just something else you souuld be aware of.
Grumpy

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful feedback!!!

Tom and Margi:  I think the sales rep does not want to deal with the issue of him breaking it.
dealt with or I am out!

Quillback:  I think you are right!  My sales rep has till the end of the day to get it dealt with or the deal is over and I am getting my $1000 back.

Grumpy:  I am think if it is not fix by today then I am out.  You are right about the RV Trader, but this was the best one I saw in the area.  When it comes to the tires, I was not able to find any maintenance information aka records.  So I am also unsure about the oil, tires, generator and such.  But you are correct about the year of tire manufacturer. I have read many other posts and articles say that 7 years max on tires. 

Once again, thank you everyone for the helpful information.  You ROCK!! 

I got a quote from Colorado Carefree customer service on just a new unit = est. $2000 for a 30' awing slide.  That does not include installment or removal. No one around here will give me a est quote because I dont own the RV yet.

Now it is just a waiting game.  My pre-inspector is awesome.  Have gave me so get information and more.  Also, he is just going to wait with me to see if they fix the item first. He told me if I am not comfortable with the RV not being  fixed then walk away.  His owns Mr. D mobile rv service in Mulberry, FL!

As far as the date code,  look for a raised oval rib on the side wall.  It will only be an inch or two long.  In the oval you should see four numbers such as 2310 or 4509.  This indicates the week and year the tire was manufactured.  3210 would be the 32 nd week of 2010.  4509 would be the 45 th week of 2009, and so on.
Very easy to check for once you find the numbers.
Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom