Bucket list of destinations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albireo13

We are planning our first RV soon and am thinking of a bucket list of destinations to visit.
Here are a few of our ideas:
Yellowstone
Moab
Gettysburg
Williamsburg
Adirondacks
Florida Keys
Outer Banks
Maine coast
NH White Mtns

Obviously this is just scratching the surface and doesn't include camping in the kids' front yard.  :)

Would love to hear other people's bucket list.

Thx,
Rob

If I may say so you may want to add Alaska!  It is the trip of a lifetime.
Here are a few we hope to do.

New England in Early to mid October
Blue Ridge Parkway
Highway 66

Happy and safe travels!

Hi Rob,

In no particular order:

Valley of the Gods, UT
Capitol Reef NP, UT
Onondaga Cave SP, MO
The Painted Hills, OR
Mojave Road, CA-NV (Cross it on a 4WD)
Joaquin Rocks, aka "Las Tres Piedras", Central CA
Grand Canyon, AZ (do one of the rim-to-rim hikes)
Mammoth Cave, KY
Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge, NV
Basin and Range NM, NV
Western Pacific Railroad Museum, Portola/CA
Parowan Gap, UT

Cheers,
--
  Vall

being a Gear Head.....these two are on my list.

Pebble Beach concour d'elegance...

Bonneville Speed week

Extended vacations $1,500 to $2,500 a month/$18,800 to $30,000 a year plus airfare.
1) Ecuador
2) Panama
3) Mexico
4) Costa Rica
5) Spain
6) Malta
7) Thailand
8) Vietnam
9) Brazil
10) Uruguay
11) Italy
About 20 more.

Banff, Canada
Oregon coast: Newport and Lincoln city
Big bend, TX
Beavers Bend, OK
Tortilla Flats, AZ
Carlsbad Caverns, NM
Great Lakes
Homa, LA
Trinity River, CA
And all points in between

albireo13 said:
We are planning our first RV soon and am thinking of a bucket list of destinations to visit.
Here are a few of our ideas:
Yellowstone
Moab
Gettysburg
Williamsburg
Adirondacks
Florida Keys
Outer Banks
Maine coast
NH White Mtns

Obviously this is just scratching the surface and doesn't include camping in the kids' front yard.  :)

Thx,
Rob
I think more important than having a long list is to spend the time to get to know and explore the area you are visiting. Sometimes just taking the time to sit and look will reveal more detail to you.
I see to many people rushing through an area.
I spent 7 days in Yellowstone last summer (2014) and am going back next year because I only saw a small portion of what there is to see. This summer I drove Main 1 from the south to East Port. We only spent 30 days in Main and need to go back.
Bill

Number one on mine and the wife's bucket list is Alaska.  When we retire the next week the coach is pointed to Alaska.  We dream about it now but with our jobs it is just not feasible.

Running the Rubicon trail is another one on the list, not with the coach obviously. ;D

Lastly, I would like to do a Civil War roadtrip along the eastern coast and then up into the Novia Scotia area, but there again, that is going to have to be a retirement trip as we cannot do that while working.

Mike.

Mike,

The call of the road, particularly Alaska, was what drove us to leave our job in Vermont when I was 50. Since it was December 1997 by the time I had finished up working we headed for Brenda Arizona where the RV Forum group gathered. Then in early spring we headed north to Alaska. We spent the next 3 years working about half time as a consultant for an investment group. Paid for our travels to criss-cross the country several times before gong back to work FT in Jan 2001.

Alaska is a calling again!

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Mike,

The call of the road, particularly Alaska, was what drove us to leave our job in Vermont when I was 50. Since it was December 1997 by the time I had finished up working we headed for Brenda Arizona where the RV Forum group gathered. Then in early spring we headed north to Alaska. We spent the next 3 years working about half time as a consultant for an investment group. Paid for our travels to criss-cross the country several times before gong back to work FT in Jan 2001.

Alaska is a calling again!

ken

Thanks Ken.  I know Chrystal and I talk about it a lot and at this point all we can do is dream.

I would like to take a consulting job, however, I don't think most people care what I have to say. ;D

Mike.

The problem is marketing unless you make a good link with an organization. Then the problem becomes being available when they need you.
Either you are working or you are not, marketing or not. Sounds beautiful, but there is a reason few people do consulting successfully VS hit and miss. Most consultants need the work and end up going back to full time for someone, failing in the marketing and consistency of work flow, and therefore $$ flow.

Some people are better off to balance their dreams with their financial reality...whatever that is.

I did a short stint as a service advisor. They just weren't able to adjust to working with an independent senior. They tended to try to treat me as they would a 20 year old, since I was in an in-line position,...so I left after 3 weeks...if I had been learning I might have stayed a bit longer.

As an independent extended warranty inspector, I'm able to make good use of my service technician skills and basically am left on my own to do the work as I see fit on my own schedule with my own tools. Works for me as the amount of work flow is about right and I'm not dependent on the $$.

Some of the senior work moving RVs between destinations...that is a good idea as you are pretty independent again.

This stuff about working in a campground seems like somewhat of a forced work situation for someone not quite financially independent...though some like it...my dad did and he didn't have to.

I've been in my RV 5 years. I thought I would have gone more places by now, but I am plenty happy with where I've been and what I've done.

My bucket list is down to one item;

Wake up alive!

So I get to complete my bucket list everyday and from there I sort of meander and dream and eventually end up in some wonderful places. I wish I could plan more and do more, but my situation is so chaotic, just waking up alive is a treasure to behold.

My bucket has a hole in it.  We start out with plans to visit here and there, but invariably, we wind up delving deeper into the countryside, taking more time than expected and blowing our original plan out of the water.  But, we're retired and wouldn't have it any other way.  We get to see a lot more of the country this way.

Alaska was the first on our bucket list, and we did it ten years ago.
It was the trip of a lifetime.
We left  NC in May pulling our 19 foot travel trailer with our Ford F-150 4 x4. We had our two kayaks and our two mountain bikes as well as our back packing tent and equipment.
We returned in October.
We traveled 15,000 miles, and it cost $15,000 miles and was worth every penny.

if you are a paddler, a peddler, or a hiker, and would like to read our long trip report, e-mail me with your e-mail, and I'll send it to you

Jack L

I noticed that most of the items on your bucket list are in the east.  With that in mind you can add Amish Country/Lancaster County PA, Longwood Gardens Kennett Square PA, Washington DC, Cooperstown NY (Baseball Hall of Fame, even if you are not a fan), Niagara Falls, Dayton Ohio (Museum of the US Air Force), Biltmore Estate in Ashville NC, Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village Detroit MI, Graceland Memphis TN and, of course, Walt Disney World.  Heading west The Alamo and Riverwalk San Antonio TX, Santa Fe NM, Kennedy Museum and Dealey Plaza Dallas TX, New Orleans, SoCal for Disneyland and San Diego Zoo just name a few.  Actually I just went down the list of places we've been since we bought our MH 3 years ago (except for SoCal, that's next year).  Mind you this is just a partial list.  Our goal is to see as much of this great country while we can.  Happy RVing everyone.

Another set of things to add to anyone's bucket list are those places in the US and Canada that are on the list of UN World Heritage sites.  This is a list of places that countries nominate as being key elements of the history of human civilization.  If you're not familiar with the list you can find it here (arranged by country): http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/  When I used to travel a lot internationally I always made sure I tried to visit as many World Heritage sites as possible in countries I visited.

In the 5 years we've been full-timing we've traveled over 50,000 miles across the US and Canada.  One observation about the bucket lists posted so far in this thread is that they barely include any places in Canada.  There's a great big, beautiful country north of us; don't leave it off your list.  For starters add Lake Louise and the Columbia Icefield, Victoria, BC and Prince Edward Island.

Wow, I am amazed at the lists, all places I would want to visit, with the exception of foreign countries, I've been to all the S.E. Asian countries, gratis the US Navy, I have no desire to return.

My list is really limited to these United States of America.

Maine, I'd love to visit Maine, from its inland areas to its famed coast.
Black Hills Discovery
Pacific Coast Highway
Mojave Road, East to West by 4WD.
Death Valley Discovery
Glacier National Park
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Southern Utah Discovery
Texas
New Mexico
Wyoming

As I thought about this list, it pangs me that there is so much to see, and so little time. I will enjoy spending the rest of my life making check marks on my list as I visit these places.

Hi, me again.  Just an idea to remember your trips.  Souvenirs are nice to have but can take up space in your RV.  We have a dry erase/magnet board that we hang in our MH and attach refrigerator magnets that we collect from places we visit.  Doesn't take any space and makes a nice memory board.  Happy RVing everyone.

Back
Top Bottom