Bug problem that bugs me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go back to the first post, second photo and enlarge the photo. You can see the bugs congregated on what appears to be the lip of the shute leading to the bowl. He says this is where the bugs are every time he sees them. He wants to know why this particular spot.

One website I saw said that cockroach droppings and skeletons emit a chemical that attracts others.  I guess if they are really attracted to that food then that is why they keep reappearing in the same place.

You sure do come up with some tough questions Tom  ;D ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Go back to the first post, second photo and enlarge the photo. You can see the bugs congregated on what appears to be the lip of the shute leading to the bowl. He says this is where the bugs are every time he sees them. He wants to know why this particular spot.
Bingo!

How about when the cats eat. Do they drool?  Could it be from the cats saliva dripping at the same place all the time attracting the bugs?  Or if they have a flea collar, is it rubbing on the edge of the bowl and that's what's attracting them.

Rene T said:
How about when the cats eat. Do they drool?  Could it be from the cats saliva dripping at the same place all the time attracting the bugs?  Or if they have a flea collar, is it rubbing on the edge of the bowl and that's what's attracting them.
The cats don't come within four inches of the spot they are collecting. There is a huge bowl that covers the top. No drool, no flea collars.

It has me so confused because there just is no logical reason for the bugs to congregate in the same spot like that. I didn't think anyone would have an answer but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Why do people rebuild their house in the same place on the floodplain after being flooded out?  Because they like it there.

Try putting a small amount of non-toxic insect repellant there to make it less attractive to the pests.

Lou Schneider said:
Why do people rebuild their house in the same place on the floodplain after being flooded out?  Because they like it there.

Try putting a small amount of non-toxic insect repellant there to make it less attractive to the pests.
Good suggestion Lou, I will pick some up tomorrow at Walmart. Thanks.

Maybe that lip is where the continuously get stuck on their way in/out? Especially if you are finding them dead or even some dead and some alive it would explain it. Regardless of generation they would all have the same instinct to go after the cat food anyway.  Both bowls could have posed a similar problem for them since the design with the lip is similar.  This happens in my skylight with lady bugs. Once they go in none of them can come out so even though they?re all coming from different areas, they look like they?re all meeting up in this one spot on the screen to bake themselves to death.

SeilerBird said:
I know that. I am trying to figure out why they keep returning to the same spot.

Well with everything eleminated I would say they like the taste of the bowl! See ....that was easy, next problem

catblaster said:
Well with everything eleminated I would say they like the taste of the bowl! See ....that was easy, next problem
Nice try, but I have had the exact same problem with two completely different designed food bowls.

Back
Top Bottom