Bugs etc. on front of Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyjohn

Is there anything that can be put on the front of the motorhome to keep bugs from sticking and or making it easy getting them off? I am not talking about putting a cover over the front but some kind of good polish or something that is good for this including the windshield? I am sure there is something for this out there.  :-\

It is important to get bugs off ASAP. It is easier the sooner you do it. I was negligent with my first MH and the bugs caused damage to the plastic protector material. I am working to get it cleaned quicker with 2nd MH. I use water and a bug remover. I have polished the plastic with supplied product. Hope to do better.

I have always used the dryer sheets. I wet them and they take the bugs off very easy. seems the bugs stick to everything- I think it has to do with getting splattered at 60 MPH. LOL

I keep my front waxed at all times. Wash off with dryer sheets and re-wax. Key being to wash them off as soon as you stop.

Most any good wax will make it easier to remove the bugs, but nothing will stop them from sticking as they hit.

RejeX is a popular product that claims to help, but I haven't tried it myself. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/4943

Here are some tips from one source:  http://gasqcollision.com/keep-bugs-from-destroying-your-bumpers/
One of the things they say helps is spray-on cooking oil, e.g. Pam or similar. Probably not ok for the windshield, though.

Thanks', winter is coming so will not have to worry till we get to Florida. But I will give some of these a try except Molaker suggestion of driving backwards then I would have to clean all the bugs off of the rear of the motorhome. lol  I have a hard enough time driving forward.  :)

never heard of the dryer sheets? I will def try that next time as I seem to never be able to clean them off enough to eliminate the stains they leave behind. we have that clear shield,but it seems to make it harded to clean them off. I have used pam cooking spray on our motorcycles  in the past and it does work rather well, never tried it on the mh though.

kevin said:
never heard of the dryer sheets? I will def try that next time as I seem to never be able to clean them off enough to eliminate the stains they leave behind. we have that clear shield,but it seems to make it harded to clean them off. I have used pam cooking spray on our motorcycles  in the past and it does work rather well, never tried it on the mh though.

I'm going to try them also, but I heard the sheets need to be used. New sheets leave a white film. Can anybody confirm this or doesn't it matter?

I just went out and took some of my wife's used dryer sheets and got them wet and tried this on my wife's car which I know those darn dead bugs has been on there for months and I was really surprised as how easy they came off. Yes, you do have to do some rubbing but not hard at all. Then you need to rinse it off. It really works. Did not try new sheets. Thanks

One of the things they say helps is spray-on cooking oil, e.g. Pam or similar. Probably not ok for the windshield, though.

We tried Pam once and it was a disaster.  Took forever and lots of rubbing to get the bugs off.  Never again!

When we want to clean off the bugs we spray water on the front and let it sit a bit.  Then wipe off with a sponge on a handle.  Get wet again and let it sit again then clean again.  Wetting the bugs first seems to help a lot.

ArdraF

Tom Hoffman said:
Once you have the bugs off, saut? them lightly in Olive Oil, especially those 3" Kansas Flying Bombers (Grass Hoppers) !!!

Do not want to think of dead grass hoppers all over the front of my motorhome and windshield. But might be since they are bigger-then more easy to get off?? Guess answer would be no. I have had so many bugs on my windshield that I could hardly see out. Had to pull into a truck stop just to clean the glass. Turning on the wipers and spray just made it worse.  :-[

Look up a product called "Rejex" on line, (not sold in stores, I think). Bugs, even Love Bugs, come off pretty easily. Nothing makes them just fall off, this is as close as I have gotten, plus a great shine and easy.

I have used the dryer sheets and they do work. I used new ones and they make a white milky residue that needs to be rinsed thoroughly. I now use a product called "Slick Mist" made by Lucas oil to treat the front before trips. It goes on easy and it makes the bugs much easier to get off. Someone said it has silicone in it which would make paint repairs difficult. I have decided that the benefits make using it worth the risk of worrying about a future paint repair.

Back
Top Bottom