Built A Boat Dry Dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi, two weeks ago i finally built my boat dry dock so i can work on the trailer without the boat. I have included pics. Remember that i am not doing this to get my money back out of this project, i know that wont happen, its not for resale. I am doing this so that i can have a dependable boat and trailer to use the rest of my life, then when i am gone ill give it to my sons to use.

At first i only had it on the straps and the three small supports taking up some of the load. But since i will be under it sanding and stuff to fix a few places in the fiberglass i put it on 4x4 as well for my safety. Yes believe it or not its a all fiberglass basstracker. A boat body guy told me that in the early years of bass tracker before nitro was purchased basstracker had a third party build a few all fiberglass models under the basstracker name. So that means i will have to watch lots of videos about patching fiberglass. Even though i dont have any leaks i still want to fix them. I have also included pics of the bow keel where the largest damage is. It will be a learning process for sure.

Now the trailer project I put the trailer on its side, then grinded and sanded alot of the rust off, there was a ton of it. Over the last week or so i have learned so much about rust that my brain hurts. I have also learned that it seems every professional has their own "concoction" to use on rust, it drove me nuts. So in the end what i did was i narrowed it down to 3 options to deal with the external rust, and then just picked one according to the budget.

The most expensive option was to use some stuff called por15 POR-15: Professional High Performance Vehicle Restoration Products and i wish i could afford it because it seems to be the best option as well. But i went with option number 2 which was to use the locktite extend rust neutralizer Rust Converter Spray, Extend Rust Neutralizer from Loctite Adhesives

I just knocked off the big lose flakes of the rust with a wire brush, and then put this on there, it seals and neutralizes the rust so you can paint over it. However it does not work on bare metal, so i had to use primer for those parts, and it has to be oil based primer if you choose to paint over this product. I learned that unless the paint can literally says "latex" then it is a oil based primer, i also learned that another way to tell is to look at the clean up process of the primer, if it says "clean up with mineral spirits" then it is a oil based primer. I wish i had known that i did not have to do any grinding as it would have saved me alot of work, but at the time i still did not know what i was going to use and i had not discovered this product yet.

But anyway the bottom of the trailer is rust proofed and painted now, i used a black metal flake paint so i could see where i had painted because the primer was black. The next part of the trailer project is to do something about all the rust on the inside of the trailer tubing. I found this product and its on order Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14 oz Aerosol its an interal frame coating that you just spray inside the tube and it stops the rust and prevents more rust. I will pressure wash the inside of the tubes first, let it fully dry for a day or so. Then ill spray it, and then run the new wiring harness and put it inside a wire loom to protect it from the sharp parts of the rust inside.

The dry doc lift worked great, the boat is 1400 lbs with the motor (400 lbs). The only thing i had to change is that you can see on the left side of the boat that the straps are not running through the upper rigging brackets. What happened is that i had that bracket bolt on the part of the bracket farthest away from the 4x4 and when i lifted the boat the first time it bent the brackets. If i had done it like the right side, bolt is against the 4x4 (first slot) im sure it would have held. So yes the boat wants to move to the left (lower side) when its lifted.

But as soon as i get done with the trailer and the fiberglass work ill lower the boat back onto the trailer, and be done with the lift for now. Then ill replace those brackets and move the bolt for the next time.

Ok here are some pics.... :) I will probably have to do two posts for all the pics :) we will see.

20220404_092835_thumb.jpg20220404_092922_thumb.jpg20220404_092945_thumb.jpg20220404_092952_thumb.jpg20220404_092957_thumb.jpg20220404_093011_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 20220404_092954_thumb.jpg
    20220404_092954_thumb.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
more pics

20220324_183545_thumb.jpg20220324_183602_thumb.jpg20220324_183643_thumb.jpg20220401_191837_thumb.jpg

However there is one thing on the boat that i have not figured out yet, what is this sticker and how do i get a new one... is it something from the coast guard?

20220322_095028_thumb.jpg

Nice job. I'll remember that for our small boats. Unfortunately it won't hold our main boat.

Attachments

• P1060162.JPG
    P1060162.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060170.JPG
    P1060170.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P1060171.JPG
    P1060171.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P1060211.JPG
    P1060211.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 8
wow Tom what does that weigh 15000 lbs ?
Try 40,000 lbs displacement (add 500 gallons of fuel, water, and 15 batteries). That's one reason for a pair of 660hp CATs to pop it on plane. Sorry, didn't mean to detract from your thread.

no thats fine man, i dont think you did at all, thanks for sharing, wow what a great boat... :)

Meanwhile, we have several Hydrohoist boat lifts ( HydroHoist Boat Lifts ) at our dock (behind the house). I have a bass boat on one, a jet boat on another, a RIB (dinghy) on another and, until recently, we had a jet ski on another.

Chris gave the jet ski away (free) to someone who bought a "jet dock" from her. The guy had a great ($0) deal on the jet ski, especially since I'd bought a new $80 battery for it.

The decal is the boat registration number validation sticker.

Thanks for the link and the info. I called the tax office and they said it expires june of 23 and i would be getting a notice to renew, if not they can renew it. FYI for those that dont know this, in Texas the Drivers License and Registration are separated, the DMV does the drivers license and the tax office does vehicle registrations/titles and land docs as well.

Is there anyone here that has experience with fiberglass and can help me figure out what im looking at in those pics of the hull damage, is that fiberglass, is that filler?

Looks like a project. For me, before I spent a dime, I would have put it in the water and made sure everything worked as it should. Like an RV, easy to throw money at a project. Just sayin, I'm guessing you run on a limited budget. ps: it is hard to see 'hull damage' All I see is a caulk / adhesive / filler material but not sure what I am looking at.

hi SpencerPJ, What your looking at is me taking a pic laying on my back looking up at the bottom of the bow. I placed a black line on this image with an error showing where the damage is.

I too dont know what kind of material that is, i dont know what risen and fiberglass look like mixed so it might just be dried resin.

I have found no evidence of water damage on the inside, i have not yet removed the storage box to see if i can see the inside of the hull. I showed the pics to a body man and (not a boat man) and he was not able to tell me what that stuff is either. I spoke to someone at the marina about it and they told me that unless there are huge holes in the hull most hull damage like that can easily be repaired, so maybe they just repaired it themselves and didnt paint it....I dont know.

The man who sold us the boat seemed to be very gunuine and honest, we even had lunch with him and everyone at the bank seemed to know him and in a very positive way. So when he said there are no leaks i tend to trust him on that.

Someone else who i spoke with at the marina today said to leave it, if there is a leak ill know about it fast enough, until then dont worry about it. But i want to paint it, even if it is safe, it looks horrible the way it is.

Other than that there are just a few quarter size places on the hull that seems got dinged by a log and just took the paint off thats all. So those should be easy to fix with just some paint.

what does my gut tell me... well it tells me i have to pick at it a bit to see if its solid or soft, if is solid ill just paint it and leave it. Someone suggested using a knocking method, to just knock around it with my knuckle and see if it seems solid sound and feel wise.

oops.... thank you for letting me know... here it is, (green arrow and black line) i hope the pics above make sense now :)

hulldamage.jpg

What’s holding that boat up off the ground? It looks like four vertical 2 X 4’s. I hope it’s safe.

Looks like that area is just rub marks from pulling the boat up on shore. If you are highly concerned, add a strip / layer of fiberglass?? It almost looks like the boat was built with 2 halves and joined at the seam, and then gel coated, and the gel coat has worn off. In addition to this forum, I'd find a boat forum that others rehab older fiberglass boats. There will be some with tricks and advise on them as well.

What’s holding that boat up off the ground? It looks like four vertical 2 X 4’s. I hope it’s safe.

That was a pic after we first lifted it and it stayed like that for days. After that we added 2 4x4 under it on blocks because i planned to get under it.

The boat is 1408 lbs, its suspending on 4 4x4 posts that have a steal plate on the back side to keep them from flexing. It was lifted using two 1600 lb boat winches (the same ones you can mount on the front of a trailer) . They are held on with long lag bolts. The blue strap over the front was a - just in case it tipped forward thing, but it never has.

When we had just the three supports under it (2x4), most of the weight was still on the straps with the weight on the boards just enough to keep it from shifting in the wind.

Now that it is on 4x4 supports, most of the weight is on the 4x4, with just enough weight on the straps to share the load. I wanted to give the staps a rest from the whole load since it was going to take a few weeks for the trailer to be redone.

Today i ran all the wiring in the trailer inside wire loom, and also undercoated the trailer, this is ontop of painting the bottom first. So now at least the bottom side should be pretty protected from the elements for a good long time.

Tomorrow i will spay the inside of the trailer tubing with that eastwood internal frame rust coating, and then get the hubs and the new axle ready, im so glad the races for the hubs are already installed, makes the job so much easier since i dont have to purchase a race and bearing tool. Then ill flip it back on its belly and slap the axle on.

I still have to paint the top side, redo the bunk boards, redo the trailer side steps (im thinking ill go with cedar with polyurathane or aluminum) I dont want any more rot.... The lights will go on last, i also got some led strips to go under the trailer. I can probably put those on tomorrow before i turn it back over, and then just tape them up.

FYI each of those 4x4 posts sits in 16 inches of concrete, the secret is to dig a square bottom hole with sharp corners, this way the concrete wont turn in the hole. If you make a round bottom hole the post will move.

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom