Buy the diesel or the gasoline??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

Although we love our existing motorhome, a 1993 Itasca Sunrise, we are considering an upgrade to a newer model. We are considering the following units:

2006 Monaco/R Vision 293 TS Trail Lite. Gasoline.  http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=50226&SearchMethod=1
OR
2006 Gulfstream BT Cruiser DIESEL  http://www.rv4sale.com/inventory_item.asp?id=707490

The prices are similar. The layouts are similar. One is a diesel and one is a gasoline.Can anyone advise as to experience or quality of the models and the pros and cons of the diesel vs the gas? We average about about 8000 miles per year. We would much appreciate any comments!

Thanks,
Elly

Hi Elly... shopping for a new rig is fun!

I don't have input on either model and the gas vs diesel issue is a very broad one.  IMO, at 8000 miles/year, if a diesel fits your (on going) budget it might be a good choice.  Just be aware that maintenance will cost you more than with a gasser.

But I love my diesel... ;D

Best of luck...

Rick

Agree with above statement.  I also love my diesel but the maintenance of diesels can be horrendous compared to gasoline.  Normally the initial purchase price of a diesel vs a gasoline engine powered MH will be in the thousands of dollars higher so this might be an indication of the quality of the diesel MH, or the gasoline MH is grossly overpriced.  Always a hard decision when you have a choice.

Allen

Since we're talking about a Class C, not a large Class A, I don't see any real advantage to a diesel.  The diesel engine in this rig is the Ford Powerstroke that's used in the pickup trucks.  The gas version will be the Ford V-10.  Both give similar performance.

You really don't see a large performance difference between gas and diesel until you start getting into the rear engine Class As.  They have much larger diesel engines, along with more robust frames, air brakes, air suspensions, more rugged transmissions and overall just larger and beefier components than gas motorhomes.  But this isn't the case here - except for the engines, all the other chassis and drivetrain components will be the same on either motorhome.

A diesel engine should give slightly better fuel mileage, but that's offset by the cost of diesel vs. regular gas.  So the fuel cost should be about the same on either.

Maintenance on a diesel costs more, which eats further into the diesel's fuel mileage advantage.  Oil changes take 15 quarts of oil vs. 6 for the V-10, so expect the cost of an oil change to be proportionately higher.  You won't need to change spark plugs or wires on the diesel, but if you ever need to replace a fuel injector, the Powerstroke injectors cost around $250 each, or $2000 plus labor to replace all 8.

It's not talked about much, but diesel fuel is dirty and smelly.  Gasoline evaporates quickly - diesel fuel does not.  Get some diesel on your hands or track some into your rig on the soles of your shoes and the smell will linger for quite a while.

Of the two rigs, I'd lean towards the R-Vision gasser.  It looks to be higher quality than the Gulf Stream.

In my opinion, as a former GS owner, Monaco made better quality. I'd go with their B+ unit.

I'm sorry he can't get past his grief. . .and appreciate Bev's preparing me for life more every day! Estelle and I are looking and hope to buy before June.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Bob, we are so happy for you! We worked for one month in Pakistan before Christmas and expect to be in the Phoenix area by mid-February. Who knows, we may drive out to Belem! Are you still in the same house?

Elly

There's a ton more places that can repair a gas engine than a diesel engine unless you go to a truck repair shop and they are far more oriented toward the big diesel engines.  Have you driven a diesel?  B4 you buy one, at least go drive it for 50 miles.

taoshum said:
There's a ton more places that can repair a gas engine than a diesel engine unless you go to a truck repair shop and they are far more oriented toward the big diesel engines.  Have you driven a diesel?  B4 you buy one, at least go drive it for 50 miles.

The diesel in the OP's link is going to be the standard Ford Powerstroke 6.0L. I'd hope almost any Ford dealer worth a visit could perform repairs on it. The only maintenance concern I'd have is accessibility in and around the engine compartment. In the pickup chassis, the preferred method of replacing head gaskets is to lift the cab off the frame.

Between the two units, I'd prefer the diesel as I prefer an engine that lumbers along over one that screams.

Good Luck on your shopping! :)

Yes, Elly, we're still here on the E side of the Rio Grande.

Remember, we have 30 and 50 amp as well as 15 service here for all y'all RV Framily members. I've made a new Pakistani Anglican Christian friend on facebook. 

Lou Schneider said:
Since we're talking about a Class C, not a large Class A, I don't see any real advantage to a diesel.

This was my thought as well.  It doesn't seem like there's much advantage to having a diesel in a smaller Class B+, unless you (1) need the small amount of extra power to tow heavy trailers (tools, motorcycles, ATV's, etc.) or bigger toads, or (2) want to buy a unit you can put 150,000 miles on reliably without any major components needing replacement.  That may be the case if you drive 8000 miles/year and don't plan to change that anytime soon.  But if you don't have any of those needs, the diesel will be much more expensive to service and most folks can't maintain themselves.  I love the fact that I can (and do) change the oil in my 35-foot Class A in my own driveway using full synthetic oil for around $30.

Your comments have all been very helpful in clarifying things in our minds. We also wondered if the fuel savings on a smaller RV would outweigh the extra cost of maintenance for a diesel.
Thanks so much to all!

Elly

While maintenance on a diesel is more expensive than on a gas engine, the maintenance intervals are longer on the diesel so the long term cost difference isn't as great as it seems.  If you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time, the diesel will still be running long after the gas engine has worn out.

Does any body owns a Serenity or any other model by leisure travel ?
I need some feedback on them . Is very hard to find a used Serenity on the market but I found 3 , are very expensive but it may be worth it , one of my biggest concern is the diesel normative from 2010 , how the old models can be up to the new normative ?
Thank you ! :eek:

I could change my oil if I chose on my diesel, but I did not have the time or place to do it. Just like the car. So I pay a bit of a premium for someone else to do that. Yes, there are more quarts of oil in my Cat than my Honda.

My last Freightliner bill, including all filters, air, oil, and fuel, on both the Cat and the Onan generator, was less than $600 of which about $150 was labor. I found that reasonable considering the service intervals, as Ned pointed out, and the peace of mind provided.

We have had both gas and diesel.  All I can say is once you go diesel, you never go back.
A dream to drive and no piddly little problems all the time.

I'm reading that either engine will get the job done.  I'd move on to the livability and features.  At 4 years old quality issues should start showing.

I'd take the '06 diesel.  It should hold it's value much better and have power to get you up the hills and pull a load.  The way new diesels have all the new emission junk that also makes them so expensive,  it appears you have found a rare find with the diesel.

I agree with the post above..."Once you go Diesel, you never look back." I drove gassers for years, both with and without Banks Powerpacks. I was always doing something to improve gas milage, handling, power, etc, etc. After driving a diesel Class A one time, I switched and never looked back. Yes, the maintenance costs are higher, but as someone said, they are not required as often. Yes, the diesel fuel costs a little more, but your milage should be much better. Yes, they cost more initially, but they last forever. They just keep going and going and going...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom