Buying a Cruise America Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_from_ABQ

Why we bought a Cruise America Motorhome:  We liked the idea of buying from a nationwide company that specializes in RVs rather than dealing with individuals selling through Craigslist or going to used RV lots.  Cruise America claims that they have sold 25,000 used motorhomes.  They do regular maintenance on the units and refurbish the units before they are sold though they won?t provide the maintenance records and, other than the paint job, not sure how much refurbishment was actually done.

The bottom line: You get a $30,000 motorhome with a nice paint job.  We expected to make some repairs on the unit ($600 so far) since it was used but didn?t expect a $5,000 repair the first month.  We are happy with our motorhome and, if we are ever in the market for another, would consider buying from Cruise America but would shop around more than we did this time. 

Things to check if you are buying a Cruise America motorhome:
1. Turn the water on in the shower and let it run while you are going over everything in the unit.  Check under the unit after a few minutes to see if water is leaking underneath.  If so, the shower drain line is broken and needs to be repaired.  This isn?t very expensive to do yourself but took me three days to make the repair.  Another indication of a leak is the wingnut and threaded rod on the spare tire hold down is rusted.  It took me about an hour with lots of penetrating oil and a sledge hammer to get the wingnut off.
2. Also, after demonstrating that the toilet will flush, fill the toilet with water then wait a few minutes to see if it stays.  If not, the seals need to be replaced.  Have them replace the flush valve at the same time.
3. Check the seals on the vents.  Mine were dried out and loose.  I didn?t catch this on the inspection.

Here?s what happened:  Our adventure began on July 25, 2016, when we purchased a 25-foot motorhome (23A) from the Mesa, Arizona, location.  The salesman went over the unit with us and showed us that everything worked.  He did not check the furnace which apparently will not turn on if the temperature is too high (it did work).  I inspected under the unit and the salesman provided a ladder for me to inspect the top.  The only things that we identified as problems were the passenger?s side seat cover was stained and the entry door did not close all the way.  The entry door should have been the first indication of a problem but seemed trivial at the time.  While my wife and I went to get lunch, the salesman had the passenger seat cover changed and the door was tightened so that it looked like it closed better.

The next day we drove the unit home from Mesa, Arizona, to Albuquerque, New Mexico.  The unit performed well and we didn?t notice any problems.  We were happy with our purchase.  On August 8, 2016, we left on our first road trip.  We had planned to spend some time in Arlington and San Antonio, Texas.  Everything seemed to be alright until the third day of our trip.  On August 10, 2016, as I was exiting the motorhome I noticed that there was a gap between the door frame and the step.  This was 16 days and about 1,100 miles after purchasing the motorhome.

When we got back to the RV pack that evening, I crawled under the front door to take a look.  I noticed three new screws sticking out from the step where it had been screwed into the door frame.  I tried to tighten them back up but they were stripped out of the door frame.  I later noticed that there was a gap between the outside wall and the inside of the storage compartment that went all the way to the back of the vehicle.  The next day we took the motorhome to an RV repair place to see if they could tell what was going on and what we needed to do.  Two of the mechanics there looked at it and told us that the sidewall had broken free from the trailer frame and would have to go back to the manufacturer to do the repair because the sidewall would have to be removed and reinstalled.  They did tell us that it would be safe to drive back to Albuquerque which is what we decided to do.  That evening when we got back to the RV Park, I sent an email to Cruise America?s Sales Warranty Department to see if he could help us.  I sent an email because we had spotty cell phone signal where we were at.  I wasn?t sure how to contact the manufacturer and wanted to see if the repair could be done there in Phoenix which I figured would be closer that the manufacturer.  I never received a reply to this email.

After safely getting home over the weekend, I tried calling the Sales Warranty number on Monday, August 15, 2016.  I left a voicemail with my contact information and the information on the unit.  I never received a response to my voicemail.  I did not pursue it since Camping World responded to my call to them on Monday and said that they could do the repair.  We took the motorhome to Camping World Albuquerque on August 16, 2016, for them to repair the damage.  They repaired the frame and welded it back together and added some reinforcement to it in order to reattach the sidewall to the trailer frame.  The final cost was $4,934.70.

Why I think Cruise America knew about the damage before the sale:  In addition to the door not closing properly, there were three new screws holding the bottom of the step to the door frame.  They looked like they had been recently added.  There were also new screws added to the area where the wheel well and the sidewall are attached.  I could only conclude that new screws were added to reinforce the sidewall that was starting to come loose from the trailer frame in order to hide the serious damage.

I sent a copy of the bill and a letter to the Cruise America CEO detailing what happened along with my suspicions that the unit was damaged when sold to us and that they knew about it.  It took a couple of weeks but I was finally called by the head of sales.  He confirmed that the model (23A) had a known history of sidewall detachment and that the manufacturer had a Technical Information Bulletin (TIB #12-1 Wall / Floor Separation, 01/16/2012).  He said the repair should have only cost $800 to $900.  I told him that made me really angry especially since I had contacted Cruise America twice with no response.  He claimed that they contacted me but when pressed he refused to provide any details so I could go back and check.  He also told me I should have contacted sales instead of the warranty department so it was really my fault that I didn?t hear from them.  We reached an agreement on the repair cost so that I would be a satisfied customer. 

Not so bad - you state you would consider buying from them again.  Enjoy your new RV!

Well two different points of view.  You already own the RV why dwell on the past?  Enjoy it and the trips and memories you will make with it!

I would never buy from Cruise America. we almost did several years ago. When I investigated and inspected the units they had on sale, I found most to be in bad shape. very high mileage and Looked like they had really been over the road when you looked beyond the paint and polish. After all they are rental units and we all know how most renters treat something they don't own. many of the renters have no idea how to drive a motor home. I know a salesman in the rocky mountain region, who told me. He would not let any of his motor homes go on a extended test drive for a couple of days because the first thing most of the people trying out the motor home would do is take it up in the mountains. having never driven a motor home. They would lug them down on the steep grades and over heat the engines or burn up the transmissions or brakes. Anyway enough said, Let the buyer beware.

I would never buy from them.  I saw one of their rented units going to places in the Moab area that made me feel sad for the unit.  Renters do not care about the units. Hopefully, you would not have more problems but I would be surprised. Wish you well.

Hi Dave. Buying anything used is always an adventure. Usually there is a reason why it is being sold. With a rental it's probably just a time frame. A sale by owner could be a problem unit or just lost interest. Usually you will need to go through the unit, tires, shocks,service,exhaust. It all adds up you need to allow for this in your offer. Don't plan on making a great deal. We usually get what we pay for.

Sorry for the issues that you encountered.  I'm going into my 5th year now with my CA 2006 Majestic 23A.  No major issues so far.  And I have been able to get into RV'ing for a third of what most people spend on a comparable new RV.  So I've been happy with my former rental.  Oh, and I also own a 2014 Chevy Captiva, which is my toad and also was a former rental car.  Again, I paid about 60% of what a new one would have run.  I've saved $$ on both rigs so I'm happy.

No Harm nor Foul meant but:

The old saying: "Drive It Like It's A Rental".. has always scared me out of buying an X Rental.. Anything.

*In all honesty though.. I know folks who have bought ex-fleet vehicles & equipment and had purdy good luck with them.

In the end I guess it's.. You Pays yer Money and ya takes yer chances.

I bought a used 84 Aluma-Lite MH once back in 1991.  I was waxing it one day and admiring the shine on the front and noticed "U-HAUL" in the fiberglass where the stickers used to be.  I had no idea it was a rental, but in reality it was used hard and put away wet.  It explained why the upholstered seats didn't match anything, and the oil in the carpet.  I was young, so nothing could rain on my parade back then :)

German Shepherd said:
You have to be a complete moron to buy anything from those two faced lying sob's ! They are the worst
A guy makes a mistake and fesses up on an open forum and you call him a "moron" you ought to have some compassion for another person in this position, myself I save my responses for something constructive that adds to a subject, you ought to try the same.

Merry Christmas

When I purchased my used class A I was told it had one owner and had been traded for a 5er.  I checked the Vin and was happy with the results.

My wife asked me why it had a no smoking sign on a cabinet a few days later.  I went back to the dealer and was told that some dealerships will rent out a rig for a season and then sell at a discount.

I asked an Rv tech I know well and he said not too worry about it as after each rental the rigs are services and have any repairs performed.  He also said the rig was in exceptional condition for its age and it had to have been stored indoors in winter and had all maintenance performed.

Next time I know to do more back ground checking.

Edit: I did replace the mattress.

stephenm said:
When I purchased my used class A I was told it had one owner and had been traded for a 5er.  I checked the Vin and was happy with the results.

My wife asked me why it had a no smoking sign on a cabinet a few days later.  I went back to the dealer and was told that some dealerships will rent out a rig for a season and then sell at a discount.

I asked an Rv tech I know well and he said not too worry about it as after each rental the rigs are services and have any repairs performed.  He also said the rig was in exceptional condition for its age and it had to have been stored indoors in winter and had all maintenance performed.

Next time I know to do more back ground checking.

Edit: I did replace the mattress.

I can only imagine what a used motorhome mattress has seen over the years.  You sir made a wise choice.  May your germ ex never run low and anything strange that you pick up be of your own accord!

Oh and could we not be so hard on the original poster?  I know some people salivate if given the opportunity to tell the world how they wouldn't have made such a stupid decision because they are so smart but you are fooling no one.

I appreciate the OP's honesty and story.  It may help others!!  Let's leave the name calling to the middle schoolers.

I guess I don't see anything terrible about this tale of a used rig problem. Sad, for sure, but one must use "due diligence" when buying used, regardless of who the seller may be.  And Cruise America did indeed provide some remuneration for the repair. Fat chance of getting that from many (most?) other sellers. Also, the standard CA 12/12 warranty does not cover coach body issues , so they actually stepped up to handle something they technically were not obligated to do. It seems evident they thought they had repaired the body previously, so they helped make it right.  I'm also not surprised that CW charged an arm & a leg for repairs, but the CA estimate of $900 sounds like their in-house repair cost rather than retail pricing.

One of the lessons here is that if you are promised a warranty, you need to make sure you know what to do about claims.  What is covered and who to contact. Failure to follow the claim procedure is often grounds for non-payment.
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy/buyers_resources/limited_warranty.aspx

"Never buy a rental" is kind of a knee-jerk reaction for many people. It's a matter of personal comfort, I guess. I just bought a 2 year old luxury car that just came off-lease, so I guess you know where I stand on that!

JFN said:
A guy makes a mistake and fesses up on an open forum and you call him a "moron" you ought to have some compassion for another person in this position, myself I save my responses for something constructive that adds to a subject, you ought to try the same.

Merry Christmas
German Shepherd said:
You have to be a complete moron to buy anything from those two faced lying sob's ! They are the worst

This is a great forum, but I find no reason to be calling people names.  A failure to find a fault before purchase is frustrating but no cause to be called names. 

kjansen said:
This is a great forum, but I find no reason to be calling people names.  A failure to find a fault before purchase is frustrating but no cause to be called names.
Please go back and read my post then please correct yours..

German Shepherd said:

And I guess you never made a mistake. No need for name calling on this forum. I see that you are new to this forum. We are much different than other RV forums. MY opinion is if you can't say something constructive, then I'd recommend you refrain from saying anything at all.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Rene T said:
And I guess you never made a mistake. No need for name calling on this forum. I see that you are new to this forum. We are much different than other RV forums. MY opinion is if you can't say something constructive, then I'd recommend you refrain from saying anything at all.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
  It was never a personal attack against the OP, so i won't apologize,, some of you have nothing better to do than stir the crap. Exercise the " 7 P's " and spare yourselves the pain !  Merry Christmas to All ,,,, even you stirrer !

German Shepherd said:
  It was never a personal attack against the OP, so i won't apologize,, some of you have nothing better to do than stir the crap. Exercise the " 7 P's " and spare yourselves the pain !  Merry Christmas to All ,,,, even you stirrer !

You said to the OP "You have to be a complete moron" and you say that's not a personal attack? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MackieD
Back
Top Bottom