Buying a Travel Trailer to LIVE in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The other consideration that comes to mind is according to your post you are planning on living in it for at least a year, which sounds to me like a temporary situation.  Given that I would think you are better off not buying new where you will take a big hit as soon as you leave the lot.  For short term ownership, the math does not add up.

Gizmo said:
The other consideration that comes to mind is according to your post you are planning on living in it for at least a year, which sounds to me like a temporary situation.  Given that I would think you are better off not buying new where you will take a big hit as soon as you leave the lot.  For short term ownership, the math does not add up.

Yes the trailer is a temporary solution at this point. But we are planning on building a house in a year or so and it would be nice to have a place to live while that happens. And who knows, after the house is built, maybe we will want to take a vacation somewhere and go RV-ing. I figure if we buy it new and maintain it, it has a better chance of lasting that long.

As it is, I am also looking at well-maintained used trailers too. In fact I am going to go and see one tomorrow afternoon. It is a 2012 Starcraft Star Travel 299BHU that was stored under cover and is basically brand-new inside (but I will still be on the lookout for water damage and the like).

rvannie23 said:
Can I ask why you want a bunk house? They chop up living space and everything is way more cramped and dark in my opinion. An open and bright living space makes a difference in a camper. With that said, look for window placement. A lot of TTs (like mine) have them mostly all on one side, which is an issue if you are facing a fence or something. You will find yourself with the lights on in the camper at 4pm even though its bright out. Practice walking in the trailer with your fiance, have him walk from front to back and you the opposite direction. It will help you see how much or little movement there is for two people if you are both just milling around. Try and find a sofa that faces the television head on instead of sideways. These are the little things you will start to notice as you live there.

good luck

I'd like to have a bunkhouse mostly because I am not the biggest fan of open floor plans. And my fiance gets night terrors (so do I sometimes too) and normally when that happens he gets up and stays awake. It would be nice for him to have some place to go in the trailer that is separate from everything else so that if he has a night terror and needs to stay awake, he can go there and be able to be on his phone or watch something on his laptop (with headphones) without keeping me awake.

Also, we plan on mounting our main/largest TV in the bedroom so whether or not the couch faces the TV shouldn't really be an issue. It may take some workmanship but we will get it mounted one way or another.

Also, we may plan on getting a cat or 2 to stay in the trailer with us (though this is just an idea at this point because obviously we don't know which trailer we are buying and how much room we will have). We would also be able to take them inside the house on days when the weather is bad or it's too hot or cold.

"Bunkhouse" is the wrong term for what you want - that refers to one or more bunk beds, either in addition to or in place of the usual queen bed. What you describe appears to be just need a separate (enclosed) bedroom, with a door that can be closed.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
"Bunkhouse" is the wrong term for what you want - that refers to one or more bunk beds, either in addition to or in place of the usual queen bed. What you describe appears to be just need a separate (enclosed) bedroom, with a door that can be closed.

No, I want a bunkhouse. I am aware of what bunkhouse trailers are lol. Most of them are basically a seperate enclosed bedroom. The likelihood if finding a trailer with 2 enclosed bedrooms with queen beds in my price range is- well, very unlikely. But there are bunkhouses with large bunks and privacy curtains and he would be fine with those.

New RV's depreciate like crazy, and will drop in value during the first few years... so for that reason, I echo the "buy used" sentiment.  I bought our 2008 bunkhouse trailer in 2015, and it is/was in great shape.  And I got a GREAT deal on it.  New RV warranties aren't worth a whole lot honestly, and if you DID need warranty service the trailer would be towed off to the dealership and you wouldn't be able to use it for days/weeks while parts were ordered.  That wouldn't work too well since it would be your primary living space.

Gary mentioned quality fit & finish issues with travel trailers... I love ours for weekend/vacation use, but not many of them are designed for full time living.  Many (if not most) fifth wheels will be more heavy duty in that regard.  Better insulation, cabinets, furniture, flooring, etc.  I know you said you don't want a 5'er (did you say why, since you'll rarely be moving it anyway?), but just something to consider.

Bunkhouse trailers are going to seem really cramped, really quick, unless you are in the 30+ size range.  You'll realize this once you start looking at rigs in person.  Imagine a rainy week, and being stuck in there for several days on end with each other.  ;)

Most important factors for buying a used RV are budget, floorplan, and condition.  You'll notice year/make/model aren't on that list!  Check out our "Library" link near the top of the page, for all kinds of articles on RV learning & living, including inspection checklists to print out and take along while shopping/buying.

The longer you take to make this decision, the better chance you'll make the RIGHT decision (for you and your circumstances).  Research, take your time, shop constantly (online and in-person when possible), and keep asking questions!

scottydl said:
New RV's depreciate like crazy, and will drop in value during the first few years... so for that reason, I echo the "buy used" sentiment.  I bought our 2008 bunkhouse trailer in 2015, and it is/was in great shape.  And I got a GREAT deal on it.  New RV warranties aren't worth a whole lot honestly, and if you DID need warranty service the trailer would be towed off to the dealership and you wouldn't be able to use it for days/weeks while parts were ordered.  That wouldn't work too well since it would be your primary living space.

Gary mentioned quality fit & finish issues with travel trailers... I love ours for weekend/vacation use, but not many of them are designed for full time living.  Many (if not most) fifth wheels will be more heavy duty in that regard.  Better insulation, cabinets, furniture, flooring, etc.  I know you said you don't want a 5'er (did you say why, since you'll rarely be moving it anyway?), but just something to consider.

Bunkhouse trailers are going to seem really cramped, really quick, unless you are in the 30+ size range.  You'll realize this once you start looking at rigs in person.  Imagine a rainy week, and being stuck in there for several days on end with each other.  ;)

Most important factors for buying a used RV are budget, floorplan, and condition.  You'll notice year/make/model aren't on that list!  Check out our "Library" link near the top of the page, for all kinds of articles on RV learning & living, including inspection checklists to print out and take along while shopping/buying.

The longer you take to make this decision, the better chance you'll make the RIGHT decision (for you and your circumstances).  Research, take your time, shop constantly (online and in-person when possible), and keep asking questions!

A 5th wheel is out of the question. We can't afford to pay $1,000+ for the hitch for a 5th wheel and the truck we will be using to pull it to the backyard does not belong to me so I am not going to ask my dad to permanently alter his truck just to tow a 5th wheel to the back yard.

We have (pretty much) decided upon a trailer. It is a used 2016 Starcraft AR-One M-30BHU, 36 feet long. Have already been to see it and it is in excellent condition. It was hardly used and all appliances are working and there are no water leaks or damage. They are asking less than $20,000 for it. Pretty amazing deal for a trailer that is only a little over a year old and was originally almost $40,000 with all the extras/options it has in it. It fits our needs pretty perfectly.

It sounds like you have your mind made up!  I'm certainly not trying to advocate for a 5th wheel in particular, as I've never owned one and probably won't... I just know from others here that they are often more suited for full timing.  You wouldn't need a full time tow rig if the trailer is going to stay parked.  For a small fee you could hire a company or individual to have the 5th wheel moved if/when needed.  This is pretty common for 5th wheel owners with permanent sites.

Double check the estimated value of any RV you might buy at www.NADAguides.com ... click the "RV" tab and follow the prompts to enter the year/make/model that you are considering.  Generally do NOT add in any "Options" in NADA when valuing used RV's.

[b]Rana421 said:
They are asking less than $20,000 for it. Pretty amazing deal for a trailer that is only a little over a year old and was originally almost $40,000 with all the extras/options it has in it.

If these numbers are truly accurate, this is a perfect example as to how much a new RV depreciates after just towing it off the Dealership lot.
As Scott said, "Generally do NOT add in any "Options" in NADA when valuing used RV's".

Back
Top Bottom