Buying a used motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatScratch

I'm new to this forum, so hi to everyone out there.  I need your help and I hope you won't think I'm stupid for asking the questions I am about to ask.  We found a 2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit in almost pristine condition, as far as looks go, but when we called the dealer about it, we learned it has two problems.  One, the AC dash will not blow - previous owner replaced AC with a brand new one, but it still doesn't blow.  Two, the hydraulic jacks are not getting electrical power.  Rather than send the RV out for repairs, they marked the price down about $15,000 and will sell it as is. 

Questions:  Would you buy a motorhome with these problems?  Any ideas what could be wrong with AC or jacks?  We are full-timers in a fifth wheel and have never owned a motorhome so we know very little about whether it would be a smart move to buy the coach, no matter how good it looks inside and out.  Any advice would be appreciated.  My husband will be gone most of the time and I will be moving the motorhome about every 6 months from one park to another where I will be working.  I'm pretty much on my own a lot of the time and don't want to inherit problems I can't handle alone.  Thanks, everybody.  :)

First of all, dash air is not all it's cracked up to be.  Most of the time, we run our generator and roof AC and leave the dash air off.  It just impacts gas mileage too much and won't cool anything but your knees.

Hydraulic jacks could be an easy fix, or could cost some bucks.  I'd bet you could install entirely NEW jacks for $2000 or less and I can't see there'd be very much to go wrong with jacks on a unit that recent.  For that price discount, it might be a good deal if you like the floorplan.

Check the NADA value of the Pursuit and then compare the average retail price with the dealer offer.  If it's close, he's not giving you anything for the repairs.  It's a buyers market.  Take advantage of it.   

Hi and Welcome,

I am a little confused here. First of all, there are two systems for Air Conditioning, the dash air is provided through the original chassis manufacturer similar to a car. The second is usually one or more roof top air conditioners or perhaps a basement variety. You say that the previous owner replaced the DASH air and it still doesn't blow. But.... the blower system in the dash air is completely separate to the cold generating system  so the answer you were given makes little sense. How about the heater?? It shares the  blower system with the AC.

If the system that was replaced was a roof air system, the answer makes even less sense as a new unit replaces everything and, short of no power, should work.

Hydraulic jacks can be replaced easily. Why does the dealer want to sell it like that, without fixing it?? Something does not meet the eye here.

A $15000 discount over what?? And so YOU can fix these things... it is a red herring. Run, don't walk, away.... This dealer is being less than honest with you.

CatScratch said:
when we called the dealer about it, we learned it has two problems.

Make sure you also visit the dealer and inspect the MH in person, before considering dropping a large amount of money on this kind of purchase.  You may discover other undisclosed problems, or you may not.  Roof A/C, Generator, Refrigerator, and Tires are all high dollar items that should be inspected carefully.

On the 2004 model, I'm betting the rig may have the original tires on it, and will need a new set all the way around since it's past the 7+ year guideline.  The dealer probably left that out, or will tell you "oh the tires look great!  Deep tread and no cracking!"  Those things don't matter as much on motorhome tires, which will age out (internally) by years far before they age out (externally) on miles.

A used motorhome will always come with repairs eventually... make sure you factor that into your purchase budget.  Check out our "Library" link above, there are many helpful articles for new buyers.

Lastly, what is the asking price of that Georgie Boy?  A $15k discount is only as relevant as the "full price" according to the dealer.  If their "full price" is inflated (which is likely), then the discount may not mean all that much.

Hi,

Ours is two years newer, but on an '04 chassis. I'd check the blue book value and for the Pursuit assume lower than book is average (ours still books for more than we paid almost three years ago - and we bought from a dealer). That said, this is a well designed MH and we've been very pleased with ours (king bed, large shower, good converter, two way powered jacks, etc., etc.). I expect a good condition unit should be in the $30-35K OTD range, but that's a guess on my part.

Have it checked,

Ernie

I agree with Stu - this story just doesn't add up. But if it were true, the price would be a tremendous bargain, since everything you mentioned could easily be repaired for about $2000 and even completely replaced for around $6000.  However, I doubt the dealer is being that generous.  I suspect the price is inflated or the necessary repairs underestimated, or likely both.

What is the asking price,  with or without the alleged discount?

Not trying to hijack the thread BUT...I have the exact motorhome with 30,000 miles IN pristine condition that I will sell you, and everything works.  We are from Canada and we are asking 45,000.00 CDN, the motorhome has the Ford V10 and it has been stored indoors, no smoke, and has been very well cared for by us since brand new.  Heck depending where you are from we may even deliver it to you (always up for an excuse to travel)  :D

Since the thread's hijacked already, I'll note that $45K (OTD) is approximately what I paid a dealer for my 2006 over two years ago! It did take some hard dealing.

Ernie

Please make any and all offers to sell (or buy) via email or Private Message. They do not belong here in the discussion forum.

We do have a special board set aside for wanted or sale items and you can list your stuff there, but negotiations should still be done privately. See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=32.0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom