Buying An Older Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NewmanRacing said:
You have to go back way more than 10 years to get a coach for under 10K that has not burned down. Are you seeing these deals on Craigs List? There are scammers who place ads attempting to farm your data. The ads typically have either one or four pictures, one picture with an email address embedded, a too good to be true price, an odd number price, and typically an odd sounding description.

Yeah, and if the scammers do answer your emails, it'll be some canned answer that has little to do with whatever questions you asked in your email to them.

I agree with renting different size RV's first.  It is less hassle than buying one that you don't like.  I rented a few at first and ended up buying a former Cruise America rental.  Had it for 5 years now and have put 15K miles on it.  No big expenses other than routine maintenance.  I believe that used former CA 24 foot rentals (2013 models) are currently going for around 25K.  That's half of what you would pay for a new one of comparable value.

Everyone seemed to warn me of low mileage vehicles but I have had great luck with them.  Just my 2 cents and experience.

KandT said:
Everyone seemed to warn me of low mileage vehicles but I have had great luck with them.  Just my 2 cents and experience.
Actually it is not the mileage that is bad it is the amount of maintenance the rig has received.

NCSU Dad said:
I know I'm asking you to breakout the old crystal ball and there are many variables.

We are looking to buy our first RV. Senior citizen bracket. Being total newbies we wanted to be in for around $20,000.00 for two reasons.
a. if we decide RV'ing is not for us we can sell without losing are shirts.
b. if we find RV'ing is for us we'll learn what features we want so moving up we won't lose are shirts in a resale.
c. with 2 adults a 24 foot unit would fit our needs.

I'm seeing units 10+years old with low mileage, <50K, priced less than $10,000.00. Assuming everything works and the unit drives & stops as it should.

Searching on this forum I've read when buying lower priced motorhomes expect to spend at least the purchase price on repairs.

For peace of mind and as a W.A.G I would plan on doing:
$3,000.00 6 new tires
$500.00 brakes
$500.00 tune up
$200.00 belts
$500.00 fluids (oil, transmission, radiator, PS, brake fluid)
$150.00 battery
$4,850.00

That would leave us with $5,000.00 for surprises.

Would I be good to go?
What am I not seeing?

Thanks!

Well how is the search going?
Look hear for some ideas. Buy as new as you can because of the many improvements to drivetrain and components.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/mini-motorhome/2005-georgie-boy-maverick_rv-36103
Don't limit your self to a class C. There are many class A's in your price range. Like this one.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/class-a/1999-fleetwood-bounder_rv-37024
Get the booklet they have "8 mistakes to avoid when buying a RV".
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Well how is the search going? . . . Bill

We went to the Greensboro NC RV Show last Friday. We met our show goal of coming away with solid ideas as to what we want in floorplans.

We are still debating: new vs used & motorhome vs travel trailer

That is good. I recommend used as you can get a better quality coach for less money. Go download the booklet I linked to and look at some of the  floor plans in each class.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom