Buying new brake controller, which one??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a busy weekend and never got a chance to try out the directions off the Hayes website.  Maybe next weekend, we are heading up north to help my wifes cousin move into their new house so we will probably be dragging the enclosed trailer up with us. 

If I can't get this controller issue solved I have decided to go with the Prodigy P3.  I have read alot of reviews and I really haven't read any bad about it.  But hopefully all works out with the current unit, so I can save $150.

Thanks for everyones input!!

The Ford tow-command is the best trailer brake controller I've ever used.  Problem is it's on a $40K truck!!  It uses hydraulic pressure and also beeps if the trailer plug, or wiring gets in trouble.  It also is tied into the ABS system, but I'm not exactly sure what it does when the ABS pulses.

No lurching when advancing a few feet in traffic, no issues with sliding in wet weather, no problems.

johncmr

I seem to remember reading that Ford licensed the BrakeSmart technology - but I can't find the reference right now.  But my BrakeSmart works the same way - smooth, no bucking or sliding, no problems.  And not only does it beep if there's a problem with the trailer line, but it reads out hydraulic pressure and the current going to the trailer brakes when you step on the pedal.  :)

I recently purchased a low mileage 2006 Ford 350, so I'm not real familiar with the truck. It has a factory installed brake controller that doesn't seem to be working. I recently purchased a 9 ton fiver (gvw) and when I towed it home, I realized the trailer brakes weren't working. I need to figure out if the controller isn't working properly, if there is a wiring problem between the controller and the plug-in jack, or if there is a problem with the trailer brakes themselves.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might go about trouble shooting to isolate the problem?

You may have to connect a wire or add a fuse to activate the truck's brake controller. If the previous owner never used it, it probably was never connected.

I gather your dealer didn't make sure the brake hook-up was working before you drove off? Well, if he didn't install any of that stuff, he may not have.

I have a Tekonsha in my 2002 F-250 and a internal Ford factory controller in my 2008 F-250. Both work well BUT!! There is no question the Ford factory brake controller works far better than the Tekonsha. The Ford factory controller doesn't lock up the trailer brakes like the Tekonsha will if set wrong. Plus it does beep at you if something goes wrong. Yes, I agree it is on a $40K plus truck. My 2008 truck manual indicates the controller has the same braking qualities as my Ford truck has and will not lock up in emergency stops.

I have the Tonkonsha Voyager XP. I think it is about 5 or 6 years old. Why I said I had problems when it was set wrong was because when I tow my gooseneck stock trailer or my dump trailer I may haul one way loaded the other way empty. I just have a whole lot less problems with the internal Ford brake controller. Plus I am hauling on ice and snow in the winter months also so I do prefer to have a brake controller that doesn't lock up as easily.

I am new to this site, have designed brake controllers for some years now, and you may want to consider a DirecLink unit that plugs into the OBDII connector of your tow vehicle.  If monitors vehicle information, far more accurate and responsive then other systems, and has many other features if you ever decide to instally electro-hydraulic brake system on your trailer, and optionally an ABS system. 

Ya, the disc brake / abs system isn't cheap, but it does stop if that's your goal.  Just in interest of full disclosure I am somewhat biased as I know how they all work, and their limitations.  The DirecLink unit is NOT cheap, so if you want to spend only $100 or so don't even look at it.  When connected to their hydraulic brake system DirecLink turns the blue wire that actually controls your brakes into a diagnostic and control network, thus provides you all kinds of information relative to the operation of the hydraulic trailer brakes and abs system, if so equipped.  If connected to electric brakes, it effectively does the same stuff as the other brake controllers that check for "continuity" and indicate connected or not, as well as current flow and such.  The nice thing is it changes operational modes based upon vehicle information and most are quite happy with them.  Just verify it supports your vehcile network before buying.  Good luck with making your choice as from what I have seen elsewhere, it is quite the emotional activity.  If interested I tell people to just do a search on "DirecLink" and "youtube" and you can watch some videos.  I wouldn't have jumped in here, but was surprised it wasn't even mentioned.

Would be nice if someone did some independent testing and comparisons, kind of a consumer reports of brake controllers.

Back
Top Bottom