Buying older motorhome - what to anticipate ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without checking the numbers (and I haven't) the Kia is pretty light weight and most likely a good candidate for a toad. Check the numbers on the Kia you are interested in and see what the tow rating of the Class C is.

SargeW said:
Without checking the numbers (and I haven't) the Kia is pretty light weight and most likely a good candidate for a toad. Check the numbers on the Kia you are interested in and see what the tow rating of the Class C is.

Also, be sure to check whether it is towable four down, or whether a dolly or maybe a full trailer would be needed -- both add a lot of weight.

Hi,

I'll chime in here. LIVE NOW, NO LATER, is your Kia a automatic or manual transmission? I tow my Kia but it is a manual transmission. If you have an automatic your likely to burn up the transmission unless you tow on a dolly (but what a hassle).
Ask your dealer (and make sure they know what they are talking about). Best wishes!

Few of them run more than 3300 lbs, so a Kia Soul should be an easy tow for any motorhome.  If the Soul is an automatic, a dolly is required and that adds about 400 lbs.

Old_Crow said:
Drove over 10000 miles and camped in it for 5 years(the last year full time)and sold it for $2500 more than I paid for it when I upgraded to a newer coach.

With all due respect, driving 10,000 miles in 5 years is hardly using a MH IMO.  We just put >6,000 miles on ours this summer alone. When you use them hard things do break or wear out.  They are machines!  I always assume there will be ~$1-2k/yr in unexpected maintenance.  This summer we had a hydraulic hose blow with a repair cost of $850.  Par for the course.

Isaac-1 said:
Overall the thing that surprised me most was the lack of any visible effort to increase first impression sales appeal on most of the coaches.  Many of them had bent, sagging (dangerously) entry steps, broken / loose grab handles, as well as other problems with the entry doors (latches, hinges, etc.).  Some had deteriorating / torn fabric on the seats in what otherwise appeared to be decent RV's, etc. The issues with the steps being so prevalent  that I started stepping over them for fear I would forget if I was in a coach with damaged steps or not when stepped out.

PPL is a consignment center.  It doesn't own the vehicles on its lot.  Owners decide what, if any, maintenance and cleaning they wish to do prior to sale.  We had the same feeling about the MH's we saw there.  Most of them sorely needed cleaning and some needed restoration.

docj said:
With all due respect, driving 10,000 miles in 5 years is hardly using a MH IMO.  We just put >6,000 miles on ours this summer alone. When you use them hard things do break or wear out.  They are machines!  I always assume there will be ~$1-2k/yr in unexpected maintenance.  This summer we had a hydraulic hose blow with a repair cost of $850.  Par for the course.

I was pointing out that I had used it more in 5 years than it had been used in the previous 23 years.  We also lived in it full time for the last year we owned it. 
Believe me, I was in the automotive repair business for 35 years.  I know stuff breaks.  That broken stuff raised my family.
On the coach we have now, which is only 18 years old, I had an oil cooler spring a leak on the way out here in June.  That was around $1200 by the time we were done, then 3 weeks later the throw out bearing in the Jeep went out.  I fixed that one myself for only the cost of parts, around $250.  Then there was the set of tires I bought for the Jeep.
That's not to mention the $9k the insurance company spent last winter when the plumbing froze during our polar vortex.
At your budget, I should be good for 6 or 7 years...but I'm not counting on it.  If nothing else, I've got tires coming up on the coach in about 3 or 4 years.

:-\ This past weekend , we went up to Cali as I have some business to take care of. We stay at Motel 6 at Carlsbad) great location and a nice place to stay for the night. It allowed us to drive around and see some campground. Love to see the some van and small RV just parked on the road facing the ocean  than be on  campground. I like the liberty to drive and see different views .Wonder how in the world they get out( campground) if something comes up and they have to leave ! they were packed in each other back! they must be very nice as the calendar for reservation has opening only starting July 2019.
I have to take a step back on my "Matilda" purchase. It scared me my future what I noticed this past weekend. My hubby is getting forget where he placed the key or if he took it at all, if he return the cash to me , that I gave it back. Them , you know as I have already share with you guys, he cant drive , so it will be me "the el Capitan" and my daughter...but in our way back ( it is 5 to 5/12 h back to Phoenix) , I had already drove 3 hours and I asked her to take over and after been driving for only 1 hour she said " mom , I don't want to drive anymore " ...in least I know one thing if I ever get Matilda it will be a class C, no bigger than 25 - it will fit nice on my house park way( no pay storage), if grandson comes with us they will have the bunk bed which they love, is a size that I would be able to manage ... :-\

I had already drove 3 hours and I asked her to take over and after been driving for only 1 hour she said " mom , I don't want to drive anymore

RW, here's a little hint from my physical therapist.  He says NO ONE should drive more than an hour without stopping to walk around a bit.  It doesn't have to be a walk outside (although we have many nice rest areas in which to take a walk) but just get up and move around.  So, my suggestion to you is to stop more frequently so both you and your daughter can take turns driving.  That's what my husband and I do, trade off every hour.  We both like it better this way!

ArdraF

" He says NO ONE should drive more than an hour without stopping to walk around a bit.  It doesn't have to be a walk outside (although we have many nice rest areas in which to take a walk) but just get up and move around. "

ArdraF, thank you ! you do have a good physical therapist  ;D...excellent suggestion. Your quote is going into my Take Notes book...

Thank you.  I think you'll be more alert when driving and arrive feeling better and more rested.  We certainly do!  We used to drive for longer times and really, when you think about it, that is not the safest way to be doing it.

ArdraF

SargeW said:
It seems that many first time posters are looking/hoping for confirmation of their idea being a great one. In looking back at the first group many members were brutally honest, telling him the reality of his proposal.  That will often cause them to flee, looking for approval on another forum. 

That's OK though, because many members may be considering a similar project, and the information provided is still true and relevant.  So keep up the good work.

I'm very thankful of  all your experience and advice. I take to heart that each one of you want me to succeed and be happy with I might buy.
Thank you

ArdraF said:
RW, here's a little hint from my physical therapist.  He says NO ONE should drive more than an hour without stopping to walk around a bit.  It doesn't have to be a walk outside (although we have many nice rest areas in which to take a walk) but just get up and move around.  So, my suggestion to you is to stop more frequently so both you and your daughter can take turns driving.  That's what my husband and I do, trade off every hour.  We both like it better this way!

ArdraF

I am planning a long (12-15 hour trip) and this advice will be used!!
Thank you for posting!!

Sarnia, a suggestion: When you quote someone, put your reply outside the quote marks. It'll make it much easier to figure out what is the actual reply.

Thanks.

Larry N. said:
Sarnia, a suggestion: When you quote someone, put your reply outside the quote marks. It'll make it much easier to figure out what is the actual reply.

Thanks.

Thanks Larry

My cursor jumped and I deleted a line, then couldn't figure out how to fix that.... and a hammer wasn't available... so I left it to you smart people to figure it out... lol....

My husband tells me to stop (a lot) when electronics are not going my way...  ;D

That's OK, I used my magic moderator powers to replace the missing close quote tag so it's all good again.

Usually Ctrl-Z will let you replace accidentally deleted text word-by-word.

My husband tells me to stop (a lot) when electronics are not going my way...  ;D

Looks as if Lou fixed the problem (thanks, Lou). While there are easier ways (for many of us), my suggestion in this case, to be easier for you to follow, would be to select and save (CTRL-C) any text that YOU had typed in, then exit the attempt to post. When the topic looks (on screen) as it did before you started your post, then start the post again, place your cursor where you want your text to start, then do a CTRL-V (paste). This will put your text back in cleanly. Then you can proceed.

Back
Top Bottom