CA Highways & Byways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ken,

Not sure where we will be stopping. I'll keep in mind all the great suggestions and hope we hit some of them. :)

Hi,

Just got back on the forum recently and noticed your post on US 101.  We spent quite a bit of time on that highway the last two summers and didn't havy any problems with the portion north of san francisco.  As someone else noted...you don't want to drive CA 1 from westport to legget, it's a very difficult drive. 

We did visit the Mendicino area and drove across route 20 from willts to ft bragg...another bad idea.  We were driving a 36' Beaver Patriot and pulling a Honda CRV.  Like much of the California Coast...the destinations are great but getting there can be difficult and finiding decent campgrounds with space available is equally difficult.

If you do drive up 101 through redwood country you might try Mad River Rapids campground in Arcada.  Very nice campground.  We spent a little over a week there and there was a no vacancy sign up every night.

Following 101 from the redwoods area on up into oregon is no problem...and once in oregon you have some great state parks along with some fine priviate camground.

Good Luck

Bob Howen
San Antonio, TX

Hi Bob,

Really great to see you here!!! It's been awhile since I've seen you on the forum.

Thanks for the info. We're definitely going to do the 101 north of SF. I really hate doing the interstates all the time. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. We have about a week to make Junction City from Discovery Bay. I sure wish there was more time available after we retire!(G)

Hi Jim and Tom -

Unfortunately, I won't be at the railroad museum in the near future.?  Cindy (my fiancee) has been bothered by a pinched nerve in her neck, and while we were hoping for a less drastic solution, she will be undergoing surgery next week to fix it.  So I'm bailing out of my project at work and will be in Washington state for the next couple of weeks while she recuperates.

Say hi to the folks for me when you go there - I'm sure you'll have fun.

Lou

Lou

Sorry to hear about Cindy's pinched nerve. That sounds very painful. Too bad we won't see you, but your trip to WA is much more important. We'll catch you next time around or at a rally. Have a safe trip.

Hi Lou,

We're really sorry to hear about Cindy's pinched nerve. We missed seeing you both at QZ and had hoped to meet Cindy while in Northern CA. We're headed to Junction City, OR after visiting with Tom & Chris. If there's any way to meet somewhere along the way, let us know!

Jim Dick said:
Hi Jim,

Sorry we didn't get to see you in SoCal but things got a little hectic while there.

It was hectic on both sides.  we were much busier than I had expected too!

We'll be in Salem and Portland OR the middle of June!!

Have a good trip! 

Jim

Hi Jim,

We'll be in Salem next week.

So far the trip has been great. I've never spent so much time in California! We really enjoyed the ride north on I-5 yesterday. The hills are a beautiful light green and the mustard plants are in full bloom. The sky was bright blue with huge white clouds. A very Kodak moment!

Jim,

Jim Dick said:
So far the trip has been great. I've never spent so much time in California! We really enjoyed the ride north on I-5 yesterday. The hills are a beautiful light green and the mustard plants are in full bloom. The sky was bright blue with huge white clouds. A very Kodak moment!

Glad you enjoyed your trip up the aorta of California's IS Highway system.  I've never understood those who complain that it is boring.  There is always something a bit different to see.  We travel it from the foot of the grapevine route in the outskirts of LA all the way to the OR border frequently.

Don,

I must say we have enjoyed our visit to CA more than we thought we would. Even the traffic in the HB area wasn't as bad as I expected though you do have to learn to drive "Californian". :) The trip on I-5 was very colorful and enjoyable.

Hi Bob!

Good to see you made it to the Forum!  Hope you'll make it a frequent stop in your online activities.  Your input based on your extensive travel experience is always welcome.

Regards to you and to Judy,

Dick,

Your remember our 40ft Dynasty. Well we went into Kings Canyon NP with it. We avoided Sequoia NP with the MH but visited it from the South staying in Visalia I think. You can reach Sequoia by car from Kings Canyon.
We did 101 several times from without any problem.  Do not take the old road above Benbow (nice cg there) from Philipsville to Pepperwood. Do that as a side trip from Benbow. But 101 itself poses no problem despite a few narrow stretches. CA 1 North of San Francisco is another story especially the Northen portion above Fort Bragg.

Souvenir, souvenir...

Roger  ;)

rogerpotie said:
Dick,

Your remember our 40ft Dynasty. Well we went into Kings Canyon NP with it. We avoided Sequoia NP with the MH but visited it from the South staying in Visalia I think. You can reach Sequoia by car from Kings Canyon.
We did 101 several times from without any problem.  Do not take the old road above Benbow (nice cg there) from Philipsville to Pepperwood. Do that as a side trip from Benbow. But 101 itself poses no problem despite a few narrow stretches. CA 1 North of San Francisco is another story especially the Northen portion above Fort Bragg.

Souvenir, souvenir...

Roger  ;)

I remember it well. :) We have the trip planned and will do the 101 to Oregon. I'll be sure to stay off the old road from Benbow. We tried to drive the car to Sequoia but the road was closed 10 miles from our destination. Guess we'll have to come back again sometime.

rogerpotie said:
Jim,

Sorry to call you... Dick.
Jim of course

Roger  :-\ :'(

Roger,

Don't worry about it. I've been called worse. ;D Actually I answer to almost anything. My Dad always called his father Dick. It's difficult for people when you have two first names. :)

Jim,

" I've been called worse. I've been called worse. "

I would not dare.    :'( :'( :'(

Roger

We are coming over from England on our first RV trip and are a bit worried to read warnings about using CA1.  We were planning to drive along CA1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey in our 31 footer - is this a big mistake!

I've travelled that section of Hwy 1 in a 30 foot motorhome and had no problem. I believe the problems you read about are further north (beyond San Francisco).

oarsman said:
We are coming over from England on our first RV trip and are a bit worried to read warnings about using CA1.  We were planning to drive along CA1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey in our 31 footer - is this a big mistake!

You should be fine as you will be traveling north which means you are away from the edge of the cliff. :) We drove a car from Monterey south to Big Sur and back. My wife said she will not let me drive our coach on that road. Of course we have a 40' which makes a BIG difference!

Be sure to stop at the Monterey Aquarium if you have time. It is one of the best I have ever seen. It's also on the waterfront of Cannery Row about which John Steinbeck wrote his novels. Some nice restaurants and bars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom