Cab Mounts - Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IBTripping

I purchased a used Ford F250 work truck this year. I towed my 5,500 lb. travel trailer for the first time on a 1,200 mile trip. It just didn't feel right needing a lot of corrections while towing and more being pushed around by passing tractor trailers. The truck has towing sway control. I started thinking I might need a weight distribution hitch. After getting back I took the truck to my mechanic for the mandatory annual inspection. I didn't expect much would be needed since the last inspection was done 4,000 miles ago.

Mechanic told me it needed a set of $1,000 (includes labor) cab mounts as the old ones were worn out. I've owned trucks in the past and never heard of or needed cab mounts. Researched and found my vibration and suspension problems were probably the cab mounts. Got it back and what a difference. It rides smoother and handles much better. The more I use my TT and tow vehicle the more I learn. Since the old cab mounts lasted 134,000 miles, it should be a very long time before the new ones need replacement. Besides the new cab mounts are much better than the OEM ones.

Well, I agree. I never heard of cab mounts needing changed. I don't have nearly enough miles on my truck yet, but I'll have to keep that in the back of my memory storage. Which I'll probably forget about by tomorrow morning.

I think it is more of an issue with heavier duty trucks than half tons. Checked out a couple of Youtube videos. It can be a DIY job, but not for me. You have to lift the cab off the frame to install and usually deal with a lot of rust. Happy to pay the $390 labor charges.

Last edited:
You still would like a WDH, just sayin, even a basic one from HF. A friend uses on on his 21' similar combo as you, says it tightens up the towing experience. I'll let him know of these cab mounts, I've never heard of the issue either. He's got a 2005 F250.

You still would like a WDH, just sayin, even a basic one from HF. A friend uses on on his 21' similar combo as you, says it tightens up the towing experience. I'll let him know of these cab mounts, I've never heard of the issue either. He's got a 2005 F250.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I might get a cheap Harbor Freight one. It certainly can't hurt to use one.

Yes, and they cost $650 for my standard cab. Like I said in my first post, they are much better than the OEM that were worn out.

You know it could be worse.
i've read about both a car and a motor home where
on the car the "Cab mounts" (Body to frame) only one was installed (There are several the owner complained it road "Funny" and the dealer found only only one bolt holding body to frame.
The motor home did not even have that. Went around a corner. well the frame did the body rolled off.

2000-2010 or so Ford F-150 and Explorer’s are notorious for having trashed body mounts. Ford was trying to minimize the vibration in the cab and the mounts and material that they used were simply too soft.

Last edited:
Ford has a serious problem with that They market their trucks as family grocery getters. (Cars) so they run the tires soft (Causing early tire failure and the Roll-a-matic syndrome) they use soft cab mounts and otherwise "Soften" the ride.. with the results above.. or worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom