Calling all ukulele players

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, that was me at Quartzsite, Tom is referring to mean as that Bill Means to play the dobro.  or it is mean to us that Bill played the dobro. 

I found a genie when I polished the cover plate on my dobro, I got one wish.  I weanted to play the dobro real bad.  Got the wish.

Tom S, have you decided to dress up for the occasion? (Just looking at your new avatar.)

Tom said:
Tom S, have you decided to dress up for the occasion? (Just looking at your new avatar.)
No, I decided I needed an age reduction surgery. I just had another birthday and I am getting tired of getting older.

Have you seen the video of Jake Shimabukuro playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the ukulele? This is an awesome video! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gaWuadgL3g

Thanks for the link. Yes, I've watched a number of Jake's videos. He's a really talented ukulele player.

I had actually never heard of Jake Shimabukuro before seeing the link to the video posted on FB by a local radio personality recently. This guy is amazing on the ukulele. I love to watch talented musicians! I only wish I was musically talented in some way....but it ain't happenin'! LOL!

Yesterday (Tuesday) The Delta Strummers performed for another, larger, local assisted-living community. Our new music director refined the play list somewhat, so folks weren't listening to the same old stuff. We also had a hula dancer who has danced with the group in prior years; This lady is a certified hula dancer and instructor, and we are fortunate to have her associated with the group.

Attachments

• DSCN3196-2.jpg
    DSCN3196-2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3199-2.jpg
    DSCN3199-2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 14
[quote author=Tom]Last Monday I was invited to attend a choral practice and was introduced as "my buddy Tom who came up with the idea for this song: He's here to audit you singing, and will be back in a couple of weeks to sing the song to you in Welsh".[/quote]

Well, that event happened on Monday of this week. What an incredible experience for me!

The chorus sang two verses in English and I sang a third verse in Welsh. An audience of 65-70 great singers put me on edge; I couldn't hear the chorus humming behind me (actually, seated in front of me), and I couldn't hear the piano 6" away from me.

All the feedback was quite positive. A few folks in the chorus wanted to know if I'd be singing in the show (I can't, due to residency requirements). A wee Scottish lass we met last year asked me if I sang and, when I said "not a single note", she said "All Welshmen sing".

When this lady came off the risers on Monday, she stopped by me and said "you lied to me last year"  ;D

Meanwhile, having attended two partial rehearsals, I can't wait to see the full show tomorrow (Friday) evening. The director is so creative that it defies explanation. And this guy is our ukulele music director!

You didn't lie, you don't sing a single note, you sing a lot of notes :)

LOL Ned. I couldn't hear myself singing but, the following day, my choral/music director friend assured me I was on key and in tune for the whole thing. He commented that I jumped the ending, but caught myself, and got in step.

It's a lot easier to sing A Capaella  ;D

Forgot to mention that I talked to the sound guy at the break; I was concerned about having sung into the mic with no 'sound check'. He said "I immediately knew when you introduced yourself (sans mic) that you had a 'big voice', and I was ready for you; When you hit the first note, I immediately cranked the volume down, and everything sounded great".

A good sound man is your best friend, he can make or break a performance.  I've heard a lot of broken ones :)

I certainly gained an appreciation for a good sound man on Monday evening. OTOH he confirmed afterwards what I knew going in - that I didn't need the mic for that size room. But I did what I was told. I believe I saw some recording equipment, and another guy was monitoring stuff on his PC (looked like the output from the mixer).

Haven't asked the music director but, knowing him, he'll do something creative with it. He told me up front that his objective was to send chills through the chorus members when they heard it in the original language. Hope I succeeded  ???

There was no video recording that evening, only audio. The group's videographer told the director afterwards that he wished he'd had his camera for that song. Not sure I'd want to be featured on YouTube singing, but fly fishing I don't mind  ;D  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeeH3tBL1VU

The problem with not singing into a PA is the fact you can't hear yourself properly and therefore it is easy to get out of tune. With a properly set up PA you can hear every note and avoid being out of tune.

I suppose that, if I was wearing a monitor or had floor monitors, that would be true. Apparently, the musical experts thought I was in tune anyway. I might get an opportunity to talk about it one on one with chorus members this evening, during the break at their concert.
Edit: Fixed typo.

Back
Top Bottom