cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailorkane

Considering installing some turn/backup cameras.  I have a 2003 coach with the older Sony backup camera.  Many of the newer motorhomes have cameras mounted on the side mirrors as well.  WOndering best technology to use.  There are some 420 line RCA/BNC connector cameras that would be wired to the side mirrors.  Thinking to run to a security camera recorder that would allow 4 camera display in quadrants.  Alternative is IP cameras and a local router.  The IP cameras tend to be much bigger though.  And probably would mount on the roof of the coach, rather than on the side mirrors.  Anyone else try something like this? 

I've also considered some security cameras but haven't really looked into them yet. I'll give you my opinion on side view cameras though. We've got them on our motorhome, and I originally thought they'd be pretty useful, and I'd use them a lot. Well, I don't. In fact, I rarely use them at all. I find the mirrors much easier to interpret (especially at night) and I really can't find a lot of use for the side view cameras. I use the rear view camera a lot, however, because we tow. FWIW

Kev

Same here with my cameras. I use my back up camera obviously for backing up, and also as a rearview mirror. The side cameras come on with the turn signals, and are pretty much useless to me. Maybe if I had a really big monitor, they would be more useful. Someday, I'm going to see if the side mirrors can be bypassed and just keep the back up camera on.

X2 on Kev's comment. Don't waste your money on side cameras.  I find side cameras next to useless.  I only use the rear facing camera.  Side mirrors are best for checking the sides.  This is great for backing up and is the best way to see when you are really past the 18-wheeler you are passing.  I only wish I could surpress the side cameras  on my RV which are activated upon setting a turn signal.

Joel

To suppress the side view cameras, could you not simply disconnect them either at the monitor or any other convenient place? They have to pick up their activation signal from the turn signal system somewhere! The wiring for the turn signals was supplied by the chassis manufacturer and the cameras were added by the coach maker so that would mean that the turn signal wiring was spliced into somewhere along the way.

Thanks for the insight guys.  I understand side cameras that activate with the turn signals would be useless compared to mirrors.  Wonder if full time side view cameras would be of any value.  I have room for a largish monitor when the old CRT TV is removed.  Would like to upgrade the Sony; saw an outfit that offered a replacement using the same wire, but its like $500+.  The scottish in me rebels--for a $20 camera.

I'm towing a 27' trailer. I have a backup camera on my tow vehicle, and am thinking of adding one to the rear of the  trailer. My monitpr will accept 2 inputs and I can switch from the vehicle camera to the trailer camera very easily. My question is, is the view from the back of the trailer on the screen going to help me or just confuse me as I try to squeeze into a tiny Forest Service camp site? We enjoy the convenience and features of RV Parks, but like boondocking as well :)

michaelrider5 said:
I'm towing a 27' trailer. I have a backup camera on my tow vehicle, and am thinking of adding one to the rear of the  trailer. My monitpr will accept 2 inputs and I can switch from the vehicle camera to the trailer camera very easily. My question is, is the view from the back of the trailer on the screen going to help me or just confuse me as I try to squeeze into a tiny Forest Service camp site? We enjoy the convenience and features of RV Parks, but like boondocking as well :)

The view from the back of your trailer will tell you when you have fully passed someone on the highway and will show you exactly where you have backed the trailer into that tiny Forest Service space.  I expect that such a camera will provide the best view in the same way as for a trailer just like an RV.  That said, when backing a trailer I try to transfer my mind's eye view to the tongue of the trailer to guide it accurately into the space, so I think that the tow vehicle camera will work best for that.

Joel

A camera on back of the trailer will help you avoid hitting anything as you back into a spot.  Somehow, rocks, trash cans, trees, etc, all seem to jump in the way when I back a trailer.

Sailorkane said:
A camera on back of the trailer will help you avoid hitting anything as you back into a spot.  Somehow, rocks, trash cans, trees, etc, all seem to jump in the way when I back a trailer.

Maybe. Once the camera passes an object it's still there, which means you could still back into the object with the truck or trailer. I know of people who relied exclusively on their camera and didn't look at thier mirrors, and received an expensive lesson on why it's not a good idea.

HA! Been there.  ;D  There are also 'things' below camera level on MH ~~ Took a lot of pounding to keep driver from backing over a picnic table.  [raised parking ~ low site.]

Anyone know the pinouts of the existing (color) Sony cable from the rear camera to the front display?  Ours is old and needs to be replaced.  The Voyager one seems to be charging huge amounts of $$ for the knowledge of  how to use that cable with their pigtails, to attach a new camera and new display.  Excellent monitors of appropriate size (9" or 10") are under $100 and great cameras very cheap also.  But they are typically RCA or BNC connectors.  So need to run new wire or custom splice into existing 4-wire sony. 

Give these guys a call. They have an excellent rep.:

http://www.rvcams.com/

I installed a regular home 4 camera dvr security system in our motorhome. The dvr came with two outputs for video. One VGA that i hook up to a  13 inch paper thin screen that i mounted on the dash and a hdmi out that i wired to my two TV in the RV. I have a hard time seeing the small mirror for the blind spot and find the pass camera works well for that. Also i have an RV with a remote spot light on top and it can turn 180 to look backwards at the roof. I change one of the regular cameras out for a small back up camera and attach it to the spotlight so i can see the roof when backing into a camp stall.  The main reason for the install is we stay alot in parking lots or rest stops and the wife feels better when she can turn the bedroom TV on and see outside on all 4 sides. I also sleep better when I'm not woken up to check on a noise she heard. I payed 400 for the complete security kit , 25.00 for the small back up camera, 200 for the thin 13 inch screen and about 50.00 misc. total install 675.00. System is on the third year and still works perfect. It Also allow us to catch a neighbor who stoWeber BBQber bbq while we were at the lake. We were only there for one night and the person who took it was a full time resident there.

quadrider:  Kewl.  How is the camera attached to the DVR?  Is it rca/bnc type connectors and video connection?  Other options appear to be wireless IP camera, etc.  If wired, how bad was it to run the wires?

The kit came with dvr, 4 camera, 4 50 foot cable bnc connectors and power supply install was about 5 hour
With a friend working at a normal pace. The video cables had the power cable tie in with it so it was one cable per camera with two connectors. I mounted the dvr on the dash and the 13 inch monitor  mounted to the side of my dash cluster. The monitor was a second screen for a laptop  or computer screen so it came with a hinge bracket. The monitor connects to the dvr through VGA and the power for the monitor is through a USB that also plug in to the dvr. The kit came with a power supply that I plug into my inverter and has 5 power outlets.1 goes to dvr and the other 4 to the cables by the dvr end. I had to drill one hole in my firewall to drop the four camera cables to the engine compartment. I have and older motorhome 89 bounder with a u shape metal bumper. I install the two side cameras in the front bumper . The reverse camera i install on my roof rack and i ran the cable along the frame and up the back ladder to the roof. I use a small PVC tube for the wires and painted tube same color as the ladder. I ran the front camera attach to the spotlight the same way as the rear camera but installed a plastic wire mold to the roof. I also stop at a security camera store and pick up a 50 foot cable a connector for the two cables and a bnc to RCA adapter for the small reverse camera I installed. My RV has a home stereo receiver with two  hdmi outs to my two TV. I ran a hdmi cable from my dvr to my stereo and it transfer the image to my two TV. Before bed i make sure the TV is set to the right input and then all the wife has to do is turn the TV on to see the four cameras. However your TV are hook up you just run the hdmi to your TV. The system is great because if you turn off the inverter to save power when you turn the inverter on the system boots up to the the 4 cameras on screen and starts recording automatically.

I am looking for an education on how to wire my backup camera's..The old one went bad..I have it attached one at the roof in back, ran cable to the front; then on the cable, that plugs into the monitor, there are 3 small wires red, green, black, They are only 3 inches long!! Where in the world do you connect that? Solution, In all my infinite wisdom: I purchased 20 feet wire matching colors to splice, but then where and how do I connect them? What and where is my power source?? Thanks feeling really perplexed. Right, I asked the seller, and You don't want to know the answers..Thank you..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom