Camp Ground Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2HPYCampers

Hi there community - I am hoping someone more experienced than I, can give me the inside scoop around camp ground etiquette.

We just returned from our maiden voyage with our new 5th wheel. We decide to go a short distance away from home with full hook ups to run through all of the systems, set up, break down, before going further from home.

We arrived about 30 minutes before dusk and so had a bit of time constraints as we needed to set up before dark for the very first time. Our neighbors were friendly and wanting to talk and after a few minutes of chatting and hello, letting them know we are newbies just getting the hang of it kind of conversation, we got right to work setting up.

Over our 2 nights next to this family we were cordial and friendly with greetings, but did not further engage in conversations of any length as they were there with their family and we were enjoying our time together as well. We were very respectful of the quiet hours and all park rules, are not loud people, didn't beat drums or play the fiddle into the wee hours, made sure exterior and interior lights where not shining into their site, etc.  ;)

The only thing I can think of that may have been offensive is after the gentleman had been standing just staring into the interior of the trailer for a good few minutes where I was alone preparing dinner I did discreetly pull down the shades as I was uncomfortable with that.

What we noticed over the weekend was a distinct chilling in the small exchanges we did have and when this family pulled away we waved and said "safe travels" and they didn't respond.  :eek:

I am not so thin skinned as to take this personally, who knows what was happening with them, but I am just using this as a platform to ask about any unspoken camping manners that you all are aware of or that you practice that may help us not find ourselves in the deep freeze with our neighbors next time.

How do you balance friendliness with giving others space and having space yourself when living in such close proximity to others? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

2HPYCampers said:
How do you balance friendliness with giving others space and having space yourself when living in such close proximity to others? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

We've had similar experiences with campground neighbors who became hanger-ons every spare minute of the day. Some people have social skills...others simply don't.
You did nothing wrong. They did.. by chatting away at you before you had a chance to set up. And anyone staring at my rig would creep me out.
I would guess they had some issue going on that had nothing to do with you.

I agree with Bob, you did nothing wrong. And I never bother anyone while setting up or packing up, unless I see something serious that can injure someone or tear up their RV. Many have a routine, and bad things can happen if the routine gets interrupted. As far as staring, I try to get sites with no one in front of us, so it doesn't appear as if I'm staring at them the whole time we're outside, even though we aren't staring.

Once you start traveling more you will find that all in all campers are pretty friendly people. I have a personal rule that I do not set foot on another camper's site unless I am invited to do so. i don't walk across another site w/o permission. We take our grandkids with us most of the time and make sure they abide by those rules. You go camping to see new sights and enjoy each other's company in the outdoors. Food tastes better when you are camping. Sure it's nice to meet new folks but you don't want them hogging your whole experience.

Oldgator, you will understand this. We camped in Louisiana next to some LSU folks, friendly, cooking some good Cajun food, and all the LSU Shirts, etc. you can imagine. One little 5 year old daughter adopted me as a grandfather, sang and danced for me. A little sprinkle came up, we opened out Gator umbrella, they came, took their child, never looked our way or spoke to us again!

Really, folks, it's only a game! ? Really!!!!!!!

2HPYCampers said:
The only thing I can think of that may have been offensive is after the gentleman had been standing just staring into the interior of the trailer for a good few minutes where I was alone preparing dinner I did discreetly pull down the shades as I was uncomfortable with that.

If I read it right, that's just plain creepy.  Did he actually come over to your site and stare into your window, or was he just standing on his own site and looking in your direction?

If it was the first, I would have reported him to the park management.  As for the second, I'd have waved as a closed the blinds.

When neighbors interrupt our setup routine we politely tell them we would be glad to chat AFTER  we have settled in. 

I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole situation, but depending on the circumstances, he may only have appeared to be staring through the window. As I stated earlier, I like to set up where no one is in front of me. I can be staring at birds, squirrels playing in a tree, etc. that is well beyond the site(s) in front of me, but it could appear that I would be staring at the folks in front of me. Pretty embarrassing to myself when I come to realize that my gaze could be taken the wrong way.

kdbgoat said:
I wasn't there, so I don't know the whole situation, but depending on the circumstances, he may only have appeared to be staring through the window. As I stated earlier, I like to set up where no one is in front of me. I can be staring at birds, squirrels playing in a tree, etc. that is well beyond the site(s) in front of me, but it could appear that I would be staring at the folks in front of me. Pretty embarrassing to myself when I come to realize that my gaze could be taken the wrong way.
Many years ago I went to a nightclub and I was scoping out some nice looking lady on the other side of the room. I eventually went to the bathroom and was confronted by a big bruiser of a guy who was upset with me because I was staring at his girlfriend. But I was not staring at his girlfriend I was looking at a girl who was about three tables beyond them. Fortunately one of my friends walked in and defused the situation. The odd thing is I had not noticed his girl prior to this and when I left the bathroom I looked at her. She was disgusting. I would have never looked at her. I wanted to mention this to him but wisely decided to keep my mouth shut. 8)

I am not a "social" person, even when it comes to camping/RVing I am still considered by many to be standoffish. I'm not, I just am not prone to engage people in conversations. I usually wave to Campers/Rvers who are passing by, seldom do I engage folks in conversation. Typically I just put on my metaphorical blinders and go about my day. Hopefully I am not offending people, but if I am, I am certain that folks will get over it in short order. If not... oh well.

I am never offended by folks who mind their own affairs, and who go about their daily business of camping, but if by chance we happen to meet face-to-face, I will always make an effort to put on my "social" hat. Just don't expect to be invited over to dinner right away... :)

Old Racer said:
Oldgator, you will understand this. We camped in Louisiana next to some LSU folks, friendly, cooking some good Cajun food, and all the LSU Shirts, etc. you can imagine. One little 5 year old daughter adopted me as a grandfather, sang and danced for me. A little sprinkle came up, we opened out Gator umbrella, they came, took their child, never looked our way or spoke to us again!

Really, folks, it's only a game! ? Really!!!!!!!

Some folks take it way to serious. When we were at UF the wife and I never went to any FB games. Too hot for a couple of 50 year olds. We did go to some basketball games. They were quite a lot of fun. I did a college internship at King's Bay Naval Sub Base in King's Bay, GA. When the internship was completed we decided to stay at a local CG a few days before leaving town. The CG owner approached me and said I was a pretty brave guy. I asked what he meant and he said you gotta be brave to drive around in Bulldog country with all them damn Gators stuck all over your truck. We got out of town the next day.

John Beard said:
I am not a "social" person, even when it comes to camping/RVing I am still considered by many to be standoffish. I'm not, I just am not prone to engage people in conversations. I usually wave to Campers/Rvers who are passing by, seldom do I engage folks in conversation. Typically I just put on my metaphorical blinders and go about my day. Hopefully I am not offending people, but if I am, I am certain that folks will get over it in short order. If not... oh well.

I am never offended by folks who mind their own affairs, and who go about their daily business of camping, but if by chance we happen to meet face-to-face, I will always make an effort to put on my "social" hat. Just don't expect to be invited over to dinner right away... :)

I am the exact same. When I was parked in a campground that had many people staying for just a week/weekend/over night I would wave if they did but other than that I did not go out of my way at all to engage in conversation. I think its important to remember to be helpful if someone asks, or you see someone who obviously could use a hand, but you aren't really there to push best friend status on everyone you come across and vice versa. I don't even pet peoples dogs unless it is explicitly solicited by the dog himself.

People of the world are very strange. Most campers are nice and normal (to a degree) and pretty laid back. You always run the risk of offending someone though. I just shrug it off and move on.

Oh thank you all so much for the helpful feed back and a really good laughs Old Racer and SeilerBird! I think we have all had that kind of thing happen when we were looking beyond someone and it was misinterpreted.

The staring gentleman was standing right outside about 5-10 feet away facing the side of the trailer staring right into the big kitchen window for a good amount of time. Unmistakably pulling a Mrs. Kravitz (for those of you old enough to remember Bewitched) ;). I really think it was more of a curiosity about the layout of trailer, not me per se, as he immediately commented, as we pulled up and got out of the truck to guide it in, that it was new (it is) and made his trailer look bad (it didn't their trailer was very nice and we aren't comparing anyway) but whatever the reason, it was uncomfortable. Great idea to give a cheery wave as I close the blinds!

Also, love the simple sentence following a quick hello that we have to keep our wits about us as we set up and will have to chat another time. Tactfully stated boundaries. Very nice!

We had some great laughs at our own expense as we made newbie mistakes, but our first trip out was a lot of fun. We have been thinking and overthinking this purchase of a trailer through for about four years now and after one short trip we are hooked and feel at peace having made an exciting and good choice for this season in our lives. 

2HPYCampers said:
The staring gentleman was standing right outside about 5-10 feet away facing the side of the trailer staring right into the big kitchen window for a good amount of time.

I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I've sometimes looked at something in the distance which might give the appearance of staring closer up.
But this is weird. Apparently this guy has some "boundary confusion."
He indeed was pulling a Gladys Kravitz on ya...

Attachments

• untitled50.png
    untitled50.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
To the OP, for most of us camping is not about going out and making new friends or meeting the neighbors. It is about getting back to nature, seeing this great country and having new experiences. Don't let some creepy people make your life miserable. The worst part of RVing is having to live much closer to your neighbors. Most of us get it and act accordingly. Just learn to ignore the morons and don't let it ruin your day. If anyone is making you feel uncomfortable in a campground or RV park do not hesitate to go to the office and complain. Most parks would prefer to solve issues like this before they hit social media.

Some folks spend a lot of time OUTSIDE and talk to neighbors and such.. I am more an indoor type but I do not mind talking to neighbors and sometimes can be enticed by a nice campfire.. (NOTE A Guitar (Acoustic) also attracts. You See. I like to sing)

By the way singing has given me a new form of entainterment.. Kind of political but on Facebook I' ve been posting a verse or two from a song and challanging some folks to identify it.. SO FAR (it's been about a week now) Not one person (Well perhaps 2 but I excluded them since I know for a fact one of them knows it, the other I suspect does) Not one of the Challanged has identified Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philips Sousa.

Yup, he wrote lyrics.

John From Detroit said:
Some folks spend a lot of time OUTSIDE and talk to neighbors and such.. I am more an indoor type but I do not mind talking to neighbors and sometimes can be enticed by a nice campfire.. (NOTE A Guitar (Acoustic) also attracts. You See. I like to sing)

By the way singing has given me a new form of entainterment.. Kind of political but on Facebook I' ve been posting a verse or two from a song and challanging some folks to identify it.. SO FAR (it's been about a week now) Not one person (Well perhaps 2 but I excluded them since I know for a fact one of them knows it, the other I suspect does) Not one of the Challanged has identified Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philips Sousa.

Yup, he wrote lyrics.

I get kicked outa campgrounds for singing.

Yay! I'm not the only one who remembers Alice Kravitz!

Thanks for the grounding:
SeilerBird said:
To the OP, for most of us camping is not about going out and making new friends or meeting the neighbors. It is about getting back to nature, seeing this great country and having new experiences. Don't let some creepy people make your life miserable. The worst part of RVing is having to live much closer to your neighbors. Most of us get it and act accordingly. Just learn to ignore the morons and don't let it ruin your day. If anyone is making you feel uncomfortable in a campground or RV park do not hesitate to go to the office and complain. Most parks would prefer to solve issues like this before they hit social media.
For sure this is what it is all about. Appreciate this!

If you're going to hide from other people in the campground, why bother leaving home in the first place? Might as well sell the camper and live in the attic.

Meeting interesting people and shooting the breeze around a campfire is camping!  Don't let someone with poor social skills set the tone for your future adventures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom