Camper battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewCamperguy

OK dumb noob question here. I have no manual for a little camper I have just bought and it is my first one. I have to ask, what is the purpose of the battery? If it is plugged in or on a generator, what is the purpose. Is it there if the power goes out? Also does the camper recharge the battery. Sorry, but I really don't know!

Also I have been fooling around with the gas hot water heater. I finally found the on off switch, but can the HW run off of just electric? Thanks

Your lights are probably all 12 volt. When plugged in to shore power or the generator is running a converter takes the incoming 120 volts AC and converts it to 12volts DC to run your 12 volt lights, the control circuits on your appliances, and any other 12 volt needs (such as furnace fan). It also provides charging for your battery. When unplugged from shore power with no generator running, the battery supplies the 12 volt power to keep all those things going.

Some water heaters are just propane and some have both propane and electric. We would have to know brand and model # to answer that question.

NewCamperguy said:
OK dumb noob question here. I have no manual for a little camper I have just bought and it is my first one. I have to ask, what is the purpose of the battery? If it is plugged in or on a generator, what is the purpose. Is it there if the power goes out? Also does the camper recharge the battery. Sorry, but I really don't know!

Also I have been fooling around with the gas hot water heater. I finally found the on off switch, but can the HW run off of just electric? Thanks

I gather from your posts elsewhere that your rig is a travel trailer (TT).

Your battery is there to provide 12VDC power for things like your lighting, running your fridge, the blower for your furnace, and your water pump.  The TT will also have a AC/DC converter/charger to convert incoming 120VAC power to 12VDC.  Hooked into a source of 120VAC, either from the campground or a generator, the converter will take over the 12VDC loads.  It will also provide a charging current for the battery.

In theory you could get along with no battery at all if you are always hooked up to 120VAC or are willing to forgo water pumping, lights, and fridge operation such as when you are towing.  However, I strongly do not recommend you forgo batteries in a trailer.  The trailers emergency breakaway system needs a charged up battery to operate in the event of a trailer breakaway.  No battery, no emergency breakaway system -- dangerous and illegal.

Thanks guys! The Battery is in and charged, I just wanted to know what point it really serves!

The water heater is an Atwood 6 gallon? Still cannot get propane back to the valve? I am going to take it to a friend today and see if we can get it fired! If not, it looks like cold showers this weekend, well room temperature anyway. Brrrrrrrrr  :'(

Also in case of a break away situation it supplies the power for the electric brakes.

NewCamperguy said:
The water heater is an Atwood 6 gallon? Still cannot get propane back to the valve? I am going to take it to a friend today and see if we can get it fired! If not, it looks like cold showers this weekend, well room temperature anyway. Brrrrrrrrr  :'(

Does your trailer have a reset switch for the water heater? Our mh has a rocker switch inside that comes on red if the water heater fails to light and must be turned off then back on to try again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom