Campfire Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

I've been looking at buying either a four legged grill or a tripod where there is a circular grill that hangs in the middle.  The four legged grills are stable but the campfire setup has to accommodate.  The tripod seems as though it would work with more campfire configurations but I wonder what flipping steaks and burgers would be like.  What would pots and pans be like on a tripod?

Do any of you bring a campfire grill along and if so, what is your preference?

I bought a cook-rack/tripod set and a breakdown grill from Graysburg Forge. The blacksmith makes hardware for re-enactors like Ren Fair, or Civil War buffs, and also does a lot of custom handmade hardware.

The breakdown grill is in the first picture. I can cook on top of it, or use it as a lot of skewers.  :D

The tripod is in the second picture. I have the hooks on the bar in the first picture, and a few more I ordered custom lengths. I can drive two of the legs into the ground and put the third through the eyes to make a firepit bar like in the first picture. I then can hang 2 Dutch Ovens, and a coffee pot from the bar.  :)

Attachments

• iron cooking set.jpg
    iron cooking set.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 166
  • iron cooking set 2.jpg
    iron cooking set 2.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 134
I also have 3 Dutch Ovens, 4 cast iron skillets (one has a lid), a cast iron 1'x2' griddle, the lid trivet, lid hook, etc., etc....

I love cooking with iron! ;D

With the Tripod it can be a bit of a pain but take a "Ove Glove" (Oven glove made with Kevlar and some other stuff they advertise you can handle a lit log with it... THey do not lie.. Just do not get it wet in use)

And a pair of pliars (Duck Bill or wide bill) Vice Grips (likewise the wide kind) or attach a handle to the grill part..  that way you can hold the grill with one hand while flipping steaks with the other.  The Ove Glove goes on the "Grill" hand of course.

I don't personally like the tripod grills, having experience with 4 point and 3 point grills. Adjusting the 3 points usually means grabbing a very hot chain with your arm over a fire while balancing a hot grill full of food. I also had a dog bump into one and take out the whole setup once.

With a good sized 4 point, you have far more surface area to dial into hot/cold spots and adjustment is easier and keeps your hands out of the fire. I've never personally ran into a pit that wouldn't work with it.

The knock-down tripods are definitely easier to store, though.  Not having to pound the stakes into the ground may be a benefit, but that's where the 4 point gets it's stability from.

All great points.  I may lean towards a 4 point grill.  I've been thinking about getting welding gloves for use around the fire.  I like having a robust fire and being able to grab things can be helpful.

Oh, I forgot to mention. At the Lodge Factory Outlet I found a large solid fireplace poker. :D

Love having it to move logs around to make good coals for heating the Dutch Ovens.

Take a look at http://www.uniquecookingsystem.com/about.cfm the unique cooking system. We bought ours more than 20 years ago and still love it. Their website does not do it justice. Click on the video to appreciate this system.
We also use this with our dutch oven over the open fire for a great slow cooked meal. Well worth the investment! JMHO

OBX said:
I've been thinking about getting welding gloves for use around the fire.  I like having a robust fire and being able to grab things can be helpful.

I have a pair that stay in the camper just for that. They work well.

I have a Tripod grill as well.. And like the other poster who has one I really wish I'd bought something else.

Good rule: Someone says "I have one and I love it" listen but.. Continue research

Someone says "I really wish I'd bought something else"  LISTEN!!!!!!

Some of them come with a handle to hold the grill when you go to say turn food, Others do not, if you get a Tripod make sure it has a handle.. Also pick up an Ove-Glove or two (Those kevlar insulated things that can safely pick up a burning log)

There is another design that has a stake you drive into the ground either just inside or outside the fire pit and a grill that 'hangs' onto the stake.. Those look better to me.

A multi leg adjustable length leg may be good too.

But you want one that does not "Swing in the wind"

I use a home made tripod that came from a craft show.  It looks similar to this one.

http://toughtripod.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/p1000856.jpg

OBX said:
All great points.  I may lean towards a 4 point grill.  I've been thinking about getting welding gloves for use around the fire.  I like having a robust fire and being able to grab things can be helpful.

here ya go...cheaper and better than welding gloves....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KZ0K6XA/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2957865762&pf_rd_r=PFRTC2DWWDMAV0Y7ZMHK&pd_rd_wg=ueE3T&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=6LzO6&pf_rd_i=%27ove%27+glove&pd_rd_r=S6GZMWA71P3RTT3M4R21&psc=1

I've used tripods in the past, and like them mainly because you can adjust the height to control the temp instead of trying to adjust the heat source (campfire). These were just for grilling, but I've recently got into dutch oven cooking, and just ordered a tripod for dutch ovens (built more sturdy to handle the extra weight of the cast iron). I think it should be easy to hook the grill up to the dutch oven tripod and use it for grilling when I want.

I never traveled with a grill.

Most all the parks I camped in came with a fire pit with a built-in grill. Some came with separate grills that were table height which I prefer.

Anyhow, I just used whatever was provided or didn't grill out at all.  ;)

I ended up getting a 4 point grill.  It works out great with different fire rings.  Some fire pits don't have grills these days or they are not set up well where the pit is ultra deep, etc.  Some are kind of sketchy looking as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom