Campground Arrival Checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moebius

I checked the library and found a great campground departure checklist. However, I could not find an arrival checklist. Does anyone know of one?

I know all RVs are different in features, so I am looking for some generalities. For example,

[list type=decimal]
[*]Turn Off Engine
[*]Connect Power, Water, etc.
[*]...
[/list]

I don't know if this is accurate since I am a newb, it's just an example.

Thanks in advance.

The following is a list I created over time, adding and subtracting as needed. I had it lamented and it saved me a lot of aggravation.

Tom

-------------------------------
BEFORE LEAVING ON TRIP
- Check oil, fluids
- Check tire pressure
- Close windows, overhead vents
- Plug in power cord
- Refrigerator on Auto

AFTER ARRIVING AT CAMP SITE
- Lower leveling jacks
- Push driver?s seat Forward
- TV electronics box On
- TV antenna Up
- Open slides
- Refrigerator on Auto
- Electric water heater On
- Water pump Off
- Air/heat On
- Lock outside step
- Awning Down
- Install electric line
- Install water hose
- Install TV cable
- Chairs, patio mat, etc.
- Trash basket
- Conduct walk around

BEFORE LEAVING CAMP SITE
- Store chairs, patio mat etc.
- Dump trash
- Close shades
- Lights Off
- Air/heat Off
- Water heater, pump Off
- TVs Off
- TV electronics box Off
- Check radio battery switch
- TV antenna Down
- Check fresh water level
- Secure refrigerator, cupboard door
- Secure bedroom doors
- Lock shower, bathroom doors
- Store loose items
- Leveling jacks Up
- Move driver?s seat Forward
- Close slides
- Unlock outside step
- Close awning
      - Drain black water
- Drain grey water
- Water, chemical in toilet
- Disconnect electric line
- Disconnect water hose
- Disconnect TV cable
- Rinse grey tank, disconnect line
- Lock exterior doors
- Conduct walk around

TOWING
- Connect tow bars, cables
- Release parking brake
- Shift to neutral
- Attach brake arm
- Key on Accessories
- Press fuse button to Tow
- Plug in power cord
- Push Auto Position 3X
- Antenna to sun visor
- Install breakaway plug
- Check brake, signal lights
- Plug in Wireless Monitor

STORAGE CHECKLIST
- Vacuum and clean-up
- Open refrigerator, freezer doors
- Open shower door
- Close shades
- Check lights, switches
- Air conditioning/heat off
- Check control panel switches
- Dash radio, electronics off
- Water pump, water heater Off
- Entry step Unlocked

TAKE HOME LIST
- Blood pressure monitor
- Books and magazines
- Cameras
- Cash
- Cell phone
- Checkbook
- Dog medication
- Eyeglasses
- Food
- Jewelry, watches
- Laptop computer
- Medicine
- Music player
- Passports
- Pedometer                                         
- Receipt envelope
- Spare keys
- Speaker, mini
- Sugar monitor
- Toll unit

Important Phone Numbers
- AAA: 800-222-4357
- Electronics Tech Support: 800-442-7717
- Fleetwood Tech Support:  800-322-8216
- Ford Tech Support: 800-444-3311
- LazyDays: 813/246-4999, 800-350-6728
- LazyDays Tech Support: 877-406-8950
- StoreHouse: 727/522-0001

RV Specs
- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS Class A
- Gas Engine: 6.8L Triton V10, Mileage: 4,673
- Transmission: Ford 5 Speed Auto w/Overdrive
- VIN: 1F66F5DY8BOA04714, Purchased 3/27/12

Check in at office
Tell kids no we just got here. And they can't have money to buy ice cream.
Get back to vehicle to find mom and kids nowhere to be found. Go back to office to find mom with kids buying ice cream
Go around wrong loop 3 times looking for camp sight.
Find right camp sight.  Back trailer in first time .
Wife does not like spot. Pull out in out in out in out in out in
Finally settle for position you where in the first time.
UN hook trainer after forgetting to chuck the trailer. Trailer rolls into tree...
Hook up trailer and pull back into perfect spot. Unhook with wheels chucked this time..  plug in trailer.  Start leavening
Trailer. But can't find your level because you left level  on the bumper on the last trip.  Run to camp store to buy level. Level trailer.  Hook up water line but water spraying all over the place because the rubber washer is missing. Run to camp. store again . But they don't have just a washer so you end up buying another hose.    Hook up sewer  line .  Pull out awning only to have it wack you in the head.  .wife calls you. Want you to pick her and the kids up at the camp store because they don't want to walk all the way back to sight.    Try to start tow vehicle  but batteries dead because you left the head light on from you last trip to the camp store.    Get into argument with wife when you call back and tell her to walk.  She arrives back at sight with rented campground gulfcart

I'm with HappyWanderer, except number 3 would be tell the wife "it's ok, I can still hook everything up after a beer or 2".

Moebius:  Lots of good stuff in above posted list, and I would add more to the "Arrival at Site" items.
1.  Arrive at site
2.  Get out and walk the site:
    a.  Look for picnic table left on site by grounds crew - move it
    b.  Look for tree limbs overhead and at rear of site - avoid them
    c.  See locations of service post, water, and sewer - make sure your equipment will reach
    d.  Step off distance from services/trees needed for slides/rear to clear, mark for visual reference
    e.  Make sure your spotter knows above, stays visible to driver, and uses understood hand signals
3.  Level your RV side to side using extra tiles, boards, blocks if needed, then front to back

Doesn't take long  ;D

We were being humorous, but the real message is not to sweat it too much. You can make yourself crazy over-thinking this stuff. If you forget something, you'll find out soon enough.

A checklist for departure is more important. Antenna down, things stowed away properly, etc.

Yesterday example:

Pull in
Decide "It's level enough"
Plug in
Connect water
Slides out
Mix Stinger ;D
Watch CNBC and debate second Stinger

Ernie

Woops! Turn lights off :eek:

There is a great app for iPhones (may be available for other phones as well) called RV Checklists.  It was either free or very inexpensive.  It has departure and arrival checklists, packing lists, etc.  You can delete, add, change all of them to fit your needs.  You can also create lists for each trip if you want.  It takes some time to set them all up, but it's worth it.  As you pack/do things, you can check them off on your phone and then erase the checks for the next time.  It's great and I love it!

George Mullen never needed an app; He 'clipped' his checklist items to the steering wheel of his coach. See here for his departure checklist.

FUNNY STUFF!!! love the one with wife renting golf cart....I agree with all the above but in a slightly different order...After initial walkaround checking for tree limbs and safe distance from electric stands,etc . My first step is hooking up electrical cord. I like it better when I extend levelers under shore power. Next step is hitting parking brake then opening slides. I was told by a dealer that the coach should be level before opening slides, makes sense to me. After that its time for a COLD ONE!!!! or two. The dw takes over putting her kitchen in order, placing floor mats in the right spot etc. Later I get around to hooking up water hose then lastly the sewer snake thing. Works for me.

Don't know if anyone noticed the 'Wife' reminder on George's steering wheel. Another forum member, Shayne Berta, drove away from a Flying J and was miles down the road before he realized his wife, Audrey, wasn't on board. Audrey, being a good sport, wrote a poem to remember the occasion.

HappyWanderer said:
We were being humorous, but the real message is not to sweat it too much. You can make yourself crazy over-thinking this stuff. If you forget something, you'll find out soon enough.

A checklist for departure is more important. Antenna down, things stowed away properly, etc.

I am that guy who overthinks everything.  ;)

Seriously, though, I am worried about doing something in the wrong order and breaking something. I read a post on this forum where someone turned on the water heater before filling it with water and it wouldn't turn back on and was leaking. Those are the kinds of things I want to avoid.

Never having done this before, I don't want a mistake to be a costly one.

When it comes to leveling my motorhome, I use an iPhone App called DualLevel. I set my iPhone down on the kitchen counter and level the coach to it.  Works great.

BrentHG said:
When it comes to leveling my motorhome, I use an iPhone App called DualLevel. I set my iPhone down on the kitchen counter and level the coach to it.  Works great.

I have heard of that one, thanks! Our coach has a one button self leveling system. I assume that means I just touch a button and it levels itself. At least that what the sales person told us. ;)

I picked up a few small 12 in levels at the dollar store.  No batteries  needed. And you don't have a Hart attack when you drop it into the mud

Moebius said:
I have heard of that one, thanks! Our coach has a one button self leveling system. I assume that means I just touch a button and it levels itself. At least that what the sales person told us. ;)

I just traded up to a Fleetwood Discovery 39S with auto-leveling jacks and the campsite where I parked was basically level.  So when I hit the Auto-Level button, I felt the jacks making adjustments and it stopped indicating it was level.  When I looked under the coach, only the back ones were touching, so I went into manual mode and lowered the front jacks and back jacks until the coach was re-leveled.  Seems that Auto-Level gets fooled sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom