Campgrounds and non-traditional RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohorse

I just completed a cargo trailer to camper conversion. I attend antique engine and machinery shows and the cargo trailer was perfect for my needs. So far, all my overnights in the CT have been on the grounds of the show. I'm planning on attending a show next February 2024 in Florida and will stay in a campground a night or two on the drive down there. My question is this, have any of you who have homemade RVs met with any issues regarding staying in a campground? I have a friend who has a pop up and they were denied reservations at a few campgrounds due to their pop up not being allowed. Thank you.

Congrats on completing your conversion. Don't know the typical RV campground rule. But, would love to see pictures of your rig.

“RV Resorts” probably won’t allow rigs without RVIA stickers (no homebuilts or Skokie’s). “RV Parks” may or may not. “Campgrounds” usually will, though check beforehand. As for pop ups, there are some places that don’t allow canvas sides due to bear activity, but there are also some that want to tout exclusivity.

Private campgrounds can determine their own rules and you either accept that or find a different campground.

State Parks and State Recreation areas are open to pretty much any type of camping, from sleeping on the ground to a tent, to a 1 million dollar motor home. The only requirement is that the people camping are doing so on a campsite and not just tossing a sleeping bag anywhere.

At Indiana State Parks, North Carolina State Parks, Ohio State parks, Kentucy and Tennessee, Michigan and Virginia state parks, I've seen many home made campers. I've seen a lot of cargo trailers that folks use for sleeping in, so they are not on the ground. Trucks, cars, and even travel trailers with roof top tents. State run, government controlled campgrounds will not prevent anyone from camping with any type of equipment, so long as it fits the campsite.

There is the difference. Private campgrounds can establish their own rules and cater to whatever clientele they want. Government sponsored campgrounds do not discriminate against anyone.

I have a cargo trailer conversion and have stayed at campgrounds with no problem so far. I've heard rumors but so far have never seen them come to life. Truthfully I usually get more curious inquires about it from employees and other campers. I think it helps that mine is fairly clean and easy looking. It's just a 6x12 gray trailer. The only exterior additions are the three windows, the exterior light, and rack for propane and battery. I think with anything camping as long as it looks cleaned and maintained you shouldn't run into too many issues. I personally don't even mention the fact that it's a homemade conversion when setting reservations. It may bite me someday, but I figure I'd rather show up and have them see it before they have a chance to blindly tell me no.

These are some public parks (broward county FL for example) that require an RVIA sticker on your camper. Those type of public parks are few and far between. And they tend to be expensive.

Usually these things are in the "Rules" page online, for both private and public.

(I have a skoolie - self converted school bus)

I have a cargo trailer conversion and have stayed at campgrounds with no problem so far. I've heard rumors but so far have never seen them come to life. Truthfully I usually get more curious inquires about it from employees and other campers. I think it helps that mine is fairly clean and easy looking. It's just a 6x12 gray trailer. The only exterior additions are the three windows, the exterior light, and rack for propane and battery. I think with anything camping as long as it looks cleaned and maintained you shouldn't run into too many issues. I personally don't even mention the fact that it's a homemade conversion when setting reservations. It may bite me someday, but I figure I'd rather show up and have them see it before they have a chance to blindly tell me no.
I think I will do the same as you have done. I will make the reservation in a campground w/o mentioning the camper is homemade. It's a 2022 6x12 model so it's clean and presentable.

Just acquired a home-made cargo trailer conversion. Previous owners did everything right and very well, we wanted it because we also ride a lot and want to bring our motorcycles along. Way more cost effective and designed for hauling motorcycles, vs most toy haulers. Not only does it look very clean, it has an awning, door, windows...about the only thing its missing is graphics. It is clearly a cargo trailer, but its one of the best conversions I've ever seen and so glad we got it.
Did a test weekend at a campground not far from where we live in Ohio (Olive Branch Campground...naming them because they were a great place), read their site rules and booked a site. What I didn't read was their Terms and Conditions, which excluded home-made campers and campers over 10 years old. Now thankfully the manager wasn't a stickler and let us stay for that one time since we missed it. A bummer too because its really nice and unless we do a cabin we cant go back. But it did help me realize I need to call and ask before booking if homemade campers are allowed. So far its not on any campground website I have seen that posts their rules and it might be buried in fine print somewhere. Food for thought.

Did a test weekend at a campground not far from where we live in Ohio (Olive Branch Campground...naming them because they were a great place), read their site rules and booked a site. What I didn't read was their Terms and Conditions, which excluded home-made campers and campers over 10 years old.
Obviously going to be a consideration for you, especially the no homemade trailers part.

But unless you tell them how will they know how old the trailer is? I guess they could ask to see your registration but to me that would be really unusual. Especially if the trailer looks good.

Welcome aboard BTW...

Having worked for several seasons as a campground staffer and manager, I can say that "homemade' covers a wide range of rigs, some quite nice and some rather junky. The "no home-mades" rule gives the owner/manager some latitude to grant exceptions to the nicer ones while keeping the junkers out of an otherwise upscale park.

If yours is as well-made as you describe, I'd avoid the term "home made" and call it a toyhauler, i.e. a combo of living quarters and recreational "cargo". A live-aboard horse trailer would fall in the same category. Offer to send photos to verify that it is a legitimate RV even if somewhat "non-traditional".

If yours is as well-made as you describe, I'd avoid the term "home made" and call it a toyhauler, i.e. a combo of living quarters and recreational "cargo".

I mean this really is not a lie or a fabrication. If the underlying box trailer was built at a factory, it is definitely not home made. It is home modified.

Further evidence would be if the title said, "Excaliber Trailers" and not "Home Made" understanding of course than many states don't title light weight trailers.

I mean this really is not a lie or a fabrication. If the underlying box trailer was built at a factory, it is definitely not home made. It is home modified.

Further evidence would be if the title said, "Excaliber Trailers" and not "Home Made" understanding of course than many states don't title light weight trailers.
The toy hauler TT's I'm looking at are essentially an extreme version of what the OP describes, shaped and furnished like a camper but cargo hauling capable under the skin. There are tie downs in the floor of the main living area all the way up to the kitchen area. The more crap you take out of the "garage," the more living room you have to stretch out in.

The toy hauler TT's I'm looking at are essentially an extreme version of what the OP describes, shaped and furnished like a camper but cargo hauling capable under the skin. There are tie downs in the floor of the main living area all the way up to the kitchen area. The more crap you take out of the "garage," the more living room you have to stretch out in.
Oh to be rich... For me probably the ideal TT is somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-45 feet. A fifth wheel/gooseneck for sure. Something like a race car hauler.

But I don't have Elon money to have fun with - LOL...

1691688065819.png

Oh to be rich... For me probably the ideal TT is somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-45 feet. A fifth wheel/gooseneck for sure. Something like a race car hauler.

But I don't have Elon money to have fun with - LOL...

View attachment 166810
I feel like the red-headed step child when reading the Alliance forums. Feels like while I'm wringing my hands over the tv angle in a fairly basic floorplan, they're complaining about one of their three a/c units or the guest bathroom not working.

Seriously though, I don't want a gargantuan 5th wheel that will not fit in most state parks or the like. Really nothing great big at all. It's why I like their 27 foot TT, but willing to go to the 34 for the extra elbow room in the living area and bed. If I play my cards right, I'll be taking the missus to see both in person this weekend and likely get a deal in the works once she's put hands on both to weigh in.

What I didn't read was their Terms and Conditions, which excluded home-made campers and campers over 10 years old.
In my experience, most RV parks will accept pretty much any RV for a night or two but become much more particular if they are a destination park with mostly longer-term customers. Even then I found most willing to make exceptions based on the appearance of the RV. With something like you have it would probably depend on how much it look like the cargo trailer that it was. Exterior appearance is important to parks whose customers care about the appearance of their neighbor's RVs.
If the underlying box trailer was built at a factory, it is definitely not home made. It is home modified.
The rules in any commercial RV park are made by the owners & management and it is there right to exclude any RV that they wish to. Most base their rules on what they believe will attract the most customers of the type that they are marketing to. If they decide that your RV isn't welcome there, your theories aren't likely to to force them to change their minds but a friendly approach with pictures and humility might.

The rules in any commercial RV park are made by the owners & management and it is there right to exclude any RV that they wish to.
That's not 100% true, since the laws concerning discrimination based on sex, age, race, etc still apply. Regardless of the owners stated intent when denying service, odds are that one or more of those factors could be cited by the rejected & disgruntled party as "the real reason". Plus the park can be sued on the basis of unequal application of a rule, which can be considered a denial of civil rights. It can get really messy if the park owner/manager isn't careful about the rules and how they are applied. That sort of thing is why the lawyers recommend an objective rule (RV over 10 years old or lacking RVIA certification) rather than the more subjective "cruddy looking" or "unsafe design".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom