Camping in San Antonio, Tx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Norm-n-Mary

My wife and I are leaving Tampa, Fl March 8th 2016 for a multi-stay in San Antonio, Tx. Does anyone have info on where to stay with an 25' TT. Our travels will eventually take us up into Washington, Montana, Jasper. All help is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards Norm & Mary

Last year we stayed at I-10 West Exit 580, SAN ANTONIO KOA, 602 Gembler RD., San Antonio, TX 78219, 800-562-7783, 210-224-9296.

Not exactly close but reasonable.  Canyon lake Corpe of Engineer Park.  Reasonable price, water and electric, great sites, maybe 30 to 45 minutes from Sn Antonio. 

Stayed at Green Tree Village  http://www.greentreevillage.com/ for $45/night.  The park is a mix of temporary and long term (old trailer park).  The park was clean with trees and grass.  Felt safe.

Alsatian RV Resort.
http://www.alsatianresort.com/

Located in Castroville, Texas.  About 20 miles west of San Antonio.
The park is only about 2 years old.  Located in a quiet safe area.

Depends on what you want to do. 

- Do you just want a spot for the night?  (Find something along the freeway.)

- Or do you want a place with scenery to relax?  (Canyon Lake is very nice for that, but far away from attractions.)

- Or do you want to sightsee in San Antonio?  (Travelers World RV Resort is in the city and has a pool, but also is on a bus line that will take you to missions and downtown.)

Spend a couple of nights in San Antonio if you want but then move out to Fredreksburg in the Hill Country for a couple more. Tour FB and the local sights during the day and go to Luckenbach for one afternoon or evening. There are lots of things to do in this area. You may need reservations in March and if you are into wine tours, book for an entire week.

We stayed at the KOA a couple years ago. It is a gated park located in an old pecan orchard. Great dog areas and connected to a paved bike/hike trail. It was very close to the ATT Arena, and not too far from downtown attractions. 

We stayed at Traveler's World a few years ago.  Very convenient to Alamo, etc.  You can drive (we did) or take the bus just across the street from the park.

We also stayed at Traveler's World and took the city bus downtown to Riverwalk, the Alamo and many other great sites.  We drove to the other Missions (other than the Alamo!) but some of those can also be visited via the city bus service.

If you decide to stay at Traveler's World double check incoming directions as our old GPS wanted us to get off the interstate at an exit that would have taken us under a 10' bridge.  We're 12'10" so ...  We called Traveler's World and they gave us directions from a different exit.

Try Blazing Star.  Canyon Lake is a nice area with a few parks but about an hour from SA.

The low bridge note reminded me that my GPS wanted to take me across the railroad track about a half mile from Traveler's Rest.  I have a Class C with a lot of real estate behind the rear axle, which means it will drag on steep entrances.  Instead of turning left and going over the steep incline to the RR tracks, I drove down half a mile to a road that had a smoother transition! 

Cannot stand that shrieking noise when rear end drags! 

Traveler's Rest has a very nice pool and large laundry room, by the way. I plan on staying there again even though I do not like commercial campgrounds overall.

agreed, depending on what you're looking for....

last year we traveled to San Antonio from florida and stayed with a relative for a week or so.
On the way out we stopped at some roadside overnights.... a couple cracker barrels, and a truck stop parking lot or two....

After our visit, we meandered up to some caves north of the city, and for our overnight we stumbled on a great little river side park
on google map, the address is 4150 River Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78132
Camp Huaco Springs it says...

Just check ahead if you are going to go north of San Antonio campgrounds.  They have been hit heavily by flooding.  Actually, we are going to stay for more than a month in one and had to cancel due to the damage by the flooding last year.  Otherwise Camp Huaco is small but nice.  It can get a little bit crowded.

Last year we stayed at Admiralty RV Resort. it is nice and close to Sea World.
Admiralty RV Resort,
1485 N Ellison Dr, San Antonio, TX 78251, admiraltyrvresort.com 
(210) 647-7878
Bill

We stay at:
Hidden Valley RV Park, San Antonio, Texas 78253 - 5706 Coleman Way, From I-35, take Fischer Rd, ex 144 and go .75 mi E to entrance., GPS: 29.29164, -98.61739
Mile long dusty road to get there, but reasonable and run by nice people.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
time window
Back
Top Bottom