Camping w/ a 1 year old..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should we try travel trailer camping with a 1 year old?

• Total voters

jbro507

Newbie camper here... To be fair.. we already tried camping w/ the kiddo recently. It did not go well. The problem is that the wife and I have different opinions on why. I don't think we were set up for a win. We learned a few things and I want to try again. She's felt, all along, that camping with a kid this young (just learned to walk 2-3 weeks ago.. has NO sense of what's good, bad, safe, not safe, etc... cannot be reasoned with.. etc) was a bad idea.

Now that our 1st run went poorly she's even more sure she's right.

To be fair here.. she's more often right than I am...  ;D

Anyway.. I come here asking.. should we have even tried to camp w/ a freshly minted toddler?

my twins are 14 months old and have taken them camping 3-4 times (pre-walking) the first trip at 3 months old was cross country. the fears where always there but had to keep them away and make it happen, same as my wife has to be a team thing for it to be fun.
As far as camping now I include one full tote of kid toys and a play yard fence about 8 panels the bigger the better, with a tarp and carpet under it. and the only other challenge is sleeping them and not waking them up when we sneak in to sleep. but i set up a baby monitor for when we stay up at camp fire. sections of the fence help block of areas in the motor home they should't be crawling around. many other small changes happen but nothing impossible and can always improvise till its figured out or changed.

The problems begin when they figure out how to open the screen door and fall down the stairs.  A good locking mechanism is called for.

One of my nieces is camping with her 18 month old and he is in constant motion and always working at the door.  I suggested duct tape (keeps 'em still, and quiet!) but she didn't agree that it was for the best.  :eek:

My youngest learned to walk at a Corp of Engineers campground.  He had 3 brothers to keep up with and had to learn to walk/run quickly.  Getting left behind was not an option.  All 4 of them wore life jackets all day long.

Both of our daughters fell down our RV's stairs before they were two (rite of passage). Scrapes and bruises but otherwise fine. They grew up camping (not full-time) and enjoyed it. Some of our best family memories were made on camping trips in our RVs. Our oldest now goes camping with her own family and our youngest is in college. Now, our 3 year old granddaughter goes camping with us. Her first weekend camping trip (boondocking) occurred at the ripe old age of three months. You've got to watch out for them (as you'd do anywhere), but I think it's a great idea to take the little ones camping.

Kev

We tent camped with our oldest two kids at that age, then had our popup camper when our third came along

My brother used to go back-packing in the Rockies with his young'uns while they still needed to be carried on their back. They continued it all their growing up years. We RV'ed with little ones, and even tent-camped with them.

But it does take vigilance and a willingness to reduce your activities to match the capabilities of the little one(s).

Just got back from a camping trip with an 18 month old (grandson). He slept in a Pak'nPlay that kept him somewhat corralled. When outside,me just made sure he was always watched. He got absolutely filthy, played with rocks and dirt and sticks, and he had a blast. We just washed him down when he was going to sleep (nap or night time). A bucket of water and a cup provided hours of enjoyment. I think it is actually easiier with a child in a Forest Service or State Park style of campground - big, widely separated sites. More room for the kids and fewer cars.

We took our own kids camping by about 6 months in a popup. Pretty much the same result. Ours visited many of the big Western parks in a backpack. One of our cutest pictures is my second son in a backpack with my husband climbing a ladder at Mesa Verde with the baby smiling and waving.

Give it a try. Kids are very resilient at that age.

We took our daughter backpacking in Glacier N.P. when she was 3 months old. DW carried her in a front carrier and also carried a light backpack. I carried a bigger backpack. She was nursing, so we didn't need to carry food for her. It worked well, except that I had failed to consider how much 4 days of dirty diapers can weigh.

We tried it again when she was two. This time, she was in a back carrier. She was no longer nursing, so we had to carry food for her. She took great delight in throwing her bottle of juice, toys, etc. out of her pack, and watching me struggle to pick them up, while wearing an 80+ lb. pack. We were informed of "horse poo poo" for every pile we came to.

After two days, we gave up and reverted to day hikes. After one day of hiking, we returned to camp which was a tent in those days. As we pulled in, I asked her if she knew where we were. Her response was "home."

I wouldn't trade the memories, photos, and super 8 films of those days for anything. It must have pleasurable for her too, because, now grown up, she took her two sons camping at a similar age.

Joel

Our son started camping at a month old, in a tent. Took his first steps at Acadia National Park. He stopped camping with us in his late teens, but still talks about places we've traveled.

jbro507 said:
Newbie camper here... To be fair.. we already tried camping w/ the kiddo recently. It did not go well.

For YOU, or for the toddler?  ;)

We camped steadily from 2007-2012 in our Class A motorhome, and our youngest was born in 2009.  So he was "in" with camping from day 1.  (Okay actually he was born in September (camping season already over for that year) and the next time we went was May 2010 so he was 9 months old by then, to be fair.)

The key is preparation.  Bring a plastic tub (i.e. travel toybox) of favorite toy/playtime items for the kiddo.  At this age they can both sleep and nap in a portacrib (Pack n Play) so really they are pretty well contained during those times.  Granted, everyone is in closer quarters and some kids react (wake up or cry/fuss a more than normal) when in unfamiliar places, but that should wear off quickly if you camp on a regular basis.  And I don't think I've ever met a kid (me included when I was that age, my kids now, and all my nieces and nephews) who don't love RV camping!  So yours should get used to it fairly quickly.

For safety issues (stairs are the main one), again just plan ahead.  We had "stuff" we would put on the downward-facing interior stairs of our Class A, to prevent falls.  But that was not before one of the kids fell down & all the way out once!  It happens, and the kids are okay almost every time.  :)  Screen door locks are available as mentioned.  Drawer/cabinet locks if needed.  Kids love/need to be free and play outside sometimes, and most campgrounds are great for that.  We always chose a site near a playground or large grassy area, if possible, to allow the kids places to run off energy.

jbro507 said:
Newbie camper here... To be fair.. we already tried camping w/ the kiddo recently. It did not go well. The problem is that the wife and I have different opinions on why. I don't think we were set up for a win. We learned a few things and I want to try again. She's felt, all along, that camping with a kid this young (just learned to walk 2-3 weeks ago.. has NO sense of what's good, bad, safe, not safe, etc... cannot be reasoned with.. etc) was a bad idea.

Anyway.. I come here asking.. should we have even tried to camp w/ a freshly minted toddler?

I'm curious as to what did not go well?

For 40 years I've been camping with kids and grandkids aged from "freshly minted" to teenagers. We've camped in everything from 4 person dome tents, to pickup campers,to a class C,, a small pop up, to the current TT.
The majority of the times in Washington and Oregon state parks.

Each age group present their own problems, but nothing that we never were able to overcome.
When they are toddlers, you have to be extra diligent to make sure they don't wander off, or get too close to the fire, but we always have been able to keep them safe and even let them roast marshmellows.
As they get older,you need to make sure they don't ride their bicycles over the bank or into the creek,or into traffic.
When they are teenagers you have to watch they aren't sneaking off chasing teenagers of the opposite sex :).

I've never felt they would be harmed by getting dirty,although the wife and I have had more than one discussion on how many extra clean clothes we need to bring!

I always make them help set up and tear down in some way to teach them a little about responsibility.
I actually was complimented by another camper last year when I was having my 3&5 year old grandsons help clean up when we were tearing down. The camper overheard me explaining to them how we always wanted to leave the camp in better shape then when we arrived.
I think camping for kids of all ages is a good thing and can be done safely and have a lot of fun.

Edited to add:
I just thought about daughter,who got a fifth wheel when she got married and had kids,and my son, who  joined us last year by setting up a dome tent in our camp site and camping with his kids who were 2&4 at the time.
Great memories for all, including me :)

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
Great memories for all, including me :)

I want to reiterate this again... to the OP, give it a try again.  RV camping is such a great activity for family togetherness and adventure (still with some comforts of home attached), that kids do not / will not experience in today's otherwise all-electronic world.

Give us some more details on the difficulties you had/have with your 1yo and we can probably help from experience.  :)  Better yet, have your wife read this thread and type the message, and/or she can join with her own username and inform us from perspective.  ;)

jbro507 said:
She's felt, all along, that camping with a kid this young (just learned to walk 2-3 weeks ago.. has NO sense of what's good, bad, safe, not safe, etc... cannot be reasoned with.. etc) was a bad idea.

John,

I am reading between the lines here, and with a counselor as a wife, may I offer another perspective?

All the logic in the world is not going to help a woman (or man for that matter) who is convinced she/he is right. She has some typical momma of a newborn issues (God knows we have been through this scenario with our daughter) that you might be wise to hear. Forget the rest of the logical arguments; she is not open to that yet.

Consider that she needs to hear you say you "hear" her concerns. Then start working out from the middle. No camping experience goes well when the two primaries are at loggerheads and an RV is no place for people who are PO'd at each other.

The last thing I ever tell my wife is how to "feel". Happy wife, happy life.

Just another way of looking at this...best of luck and I think what you are trying to do is wonderful, might just need another path. And certainly would be curious to have your bride walk through this thread and see where she is.  8)

All,

Thanks a lot for all the help and commentary!

I guess I left out a big part of the equation in my original post. I have a reoccurring lower back issue since the late 90's. About 2 weeks ago it went out whilst trying to remove the (uncooperative) 1yo (Harry) from the car. Could barely walk for 3 days. Not sure if this is common, but after 20 years of experience w/ this, for me there is a gray zone during the healing process. If I can't walk, (for example) no one asks me to pick up a kid.. I know better than to try.. Once I start mending, I get into this limbo zone where I can start doing things but there is no clear line where I should stop. If I cross this invisible line, I can get sent right back to square 1.

So, my injury put 90% of the work on my wife for our 1st run at camping.

We agree that camping w/ a toddler is doable but is it doable with 1.2 parents?

Specifically.. our 1st night we had issues with managing Harry during dinner. It's all 100% normal toddler stuff.. Problem is, I really don't want to lift him a lot. Maybe not at all. So Harry mgmt during outdoor cooking was a chore. He wouldn't stay in the trailer, wanted to be outside with older brother. Outside, he's climbing into the fire pit, eating everything he can get his hands on (1/2 of which is choking sized), yanking on the neighbor's grill, the neighbor's dog, etc.. I'm trying to re-direct without picking up..

At home he's never (and I mean never) been a bedtime problem child. Feed him, he conks out till the AM. On site, bedtime was a 2 hour fight. Outside noises, etc.

What it comes down to is we know it's doable. Is it worth doing? Do I plunk down the cash and buy a play yard so - if my back heals up quick (2-3 weeks) - we'd maybe fit in 2-3 (max) weekends? If we scrap the 2015 season and try again next year we'll have a different child and should have an easier run of it.

Also - we tried just a daddy / older brother day.. Harry went home w/ mom.. Rhys and I made it about 2 hours.. during a short walk I took a funny step and my back tweaked and I had to go back to the trailer and lie down for 20 minutes on ice.  :mad:

My two cents:  until your back heals, the "baby burden" lands squarely on your wife.  It's hard enough chasing a child around at home where things have been made safe.  I would wait til next year and give it another try when you are better able tote your share of the load.

Margi

A little off topic, but have you tried a TENS (transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulator) unit? They won"t cure anything, but they might give you several hours of relief from the pain. There are several brands available in the $30 to $40 range.

It did wonders for my hip joint pain, both before joint replacement surgery and afterward, while doing rehab. It also helped while rehabbing a torn rotator cuff.

Joel

jbro507 said:
All,

Thanks a lot for all the help and commentary!

I guess I left out a big part of the equation in my original post. I have a reoccurring lower back issue since the late 90's. About 2 weeks ago it went out whilst trying to remove the (uncooperative) 1yo (Harry) from the car. Could barely walk for 3 days. Not sure if this is common, but after 20 years of experience w/ this, for me there is a gray zone during the healing process. If I can't walk, (for example) no one asks me to pick up a kid.. I know better than to try.. Once I start mending, I get into this limbo zone where I can start doing things but there is no clear line where I should stop. If I cross this invisible line, I can get sent right back to square 1.

So, my injury put 90% of the work on my wife for our 1st run at camping.

We agree that camping w/ a toddler is doable but is it doable with 1.2 parents?

Specifically.. our 1st night we had issues with managing Harry during dinner. It's all 100% normal toddler stuff.. Problem is, I really don't want to lift him a lot. Maybe not at all. So Harry mgmt during outdoor cooking was a chore. He wouldn't stay in the trailer, wanted to be outside with older brother. Outside, he's climbing into the fire pit, eating everything he can get his hands on (1/2 of which is choking sized), yanking on the neighbor's grill, the neighbor's dog, etc.. I'm trying to re-direct without picking up..

At home he's never (and I mean never) been a bedtime problem child. Feed him, he conks out till the AM. On site, bedtime was a 2 hour fight. Outside noises, etc.

What it comes down to is we know it's doable. Is it worth doing? Do I plunk down the cash and buy a play yard so - if my back heals up quick (2-3 weeks) - we'd maybe fit in 2-3 (max) weekends? If we scrap the 2015 season and try again next year we'll have a different child and should have an easier run of it.

Also - we tried just a daddy / older brother day.. Harry went home w/ mom.. Rhys and I made it about 2 hours.. during a short walk I took a funny step and my back tweaked and I had to go back to the trailer and lie down for 20 minutes on ice.  :mad:

we used to have a little chair that would clamp onto the edge of a table. It worked well on picnic tables. I think it worked on the table in the RV as well,.but don't remember The child could be at the table next to whoever is cooking and eat only what is given to him. You could probably pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store.
As for sleeping at night, normally a kid gets so tired out from running around all day that sleeping isn't an issue. I would bet that after a couple outings, he will be used to the new surroundings, and be so tired that he will sleep like, well.. a baby. :)

I grew up camping but honestly don't know how old I was when we started.  What I do know is that some of my fondest childhood memories are camping with my family.  You should keep trying but try to preplan as much as possible to lessen the burden on your wife, for example, preparing as many meals as possible at home.  Maybe also just do short weekend trips instead of longer ones.  That gives the little one a chance to acclimate to his new surroundings and learn to understand that this is just something else you do as a family.  Also, one nice thing about RVing is that you can put the little ones in the shower and "hose" them off when they get too dirty!  Good luck!

ArdraF

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
we used to have a little chair that would clamp onto the edge of a table. It worked well on picnic tables. I think it worked on the table in the RV as well,.but don't remember The child could be at the table next to whoever is cooking and eat only what is given to him. You could probably pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store.
As for sleeping at night, normally a kid gets so tired out from running around all day that sleeping isn't an issue. I would bet that after a couple outings, he will be used to the new surroundings, and be so tired that he will sleep like, well.. a baby. :)

we used a similar chair
similar to this one, bit not nearly so fancy as this
http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Hook-High-Chair-Midori/dp/B00851W5JA/ref=sr_1_5?&s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1434913193&sr=1-5&keywords=clamp+on+high+chair+for+travel

& of course the pack and play inside and out to keep them corralled when napping or while we were busy with chores

& for a time we had something like this we took camping a few times with one of the kids.
http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Industries-Superyard-Colorplay/dp/B006NTY1HU/ref=sr_1_10?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1434913282&sr=1-10&keywords=child+gate&pebp=1434913288493&perid=0DK8DCH8K669MCMQCCV8

these things helped tremendously once the kiddos got mobile

Once we camped with friends, that have a son of a similar age to ours.  two to three years old at the time.... mom was a worrier.  It's just who she is.... and no amount of corralling would let her relax.  Too dirty, a bug might get him, oh no he's got dirt on his face, he might wander off even though we are all sitting right here..... ahhh!!!  I just can't handle it!!!!
That just might be where your wife is...... and there's nothing wrong with that... she just might have to wait a year or two....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom