Can Am Spyder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wthibeaux

I am considering one of these trikes and would like to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge and experience regarding quality, ease of riding, maintenance, reliability, etc. Thanks

My wife has a 2013 ST-S SE5 and loves it.  She rode 2 wheels for over 25 years and had no
problem making the transition.  There are 5 other Spyders in our group and no one has had any problems. 
Our nearest dealer is 90 miles away which has been the only down side.  Maintenance is not cheap but then it is not on my 2-wheelers either.  Except for dealer required checks we will be doing our own servicing.  PM me if you have any other questions,.

I rode one on a recent company sponsored test ride, which lasted approx. 1 hr. through various road types, highways, backroads, and city traffic.  The handling is phenomenal, although much different from riding a two wheeler.  It takes a few minutes to break old habits, such as leaning into turns, getting used to not having to put your feet down when stopping, and overcoming the sensation that it's going to flip on sharp corners or curves (which is isn't because of it's suspension and design), and you start enjoying the ride for what it is.

I'd seriously consider one, when I'm no longer able to ride a two wheeler, because of age, or physical limitations.

My better 1/2 has a Goldwing trike, 1800cc's of pure go compared to the spyder at 900cc.
Everyone I know that has a spyder says it's underpowered.
Alan

I looked at a Spyder a few years back.  Neat design, but what I didn't like is the riding position.  It felt more sport bike than cruiser to me....and after 5 minutes sitting on it, I was already starting to ache.  By contrast, I could ride my Honda Shadow with a Mustang seat for 8 hours a stretch before any serious ill effects.

Your mileage may vary.

There are three versions of the Spyder.  An RT which is the touring model with bags and tour box, the RS which is the sport bike version, and the ST which just came out last year which is kind of between the others in seating position. They come with either manual or semi-automatic transmission.  But one thing I have never heard, is that they are "underpowered".

Jim J., not gonna get into a pissing match with you, just what I've been told by ones who have, your open to differ.... my .02

deerwinnie said:
Jim J., not gonna get into a pissing match with you, just what I've been told by ones who have, your open to differ.... my .02

Maybe I missed something, but seems to me Jim was just stating an opinion. 

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in twenty plus years and am looking at Spyders. I have seen some 2009 models that are quite reasonable. I'm curious if anyone has driven both the automatic and the manual and if they thought it made that much difference. I am looking for a Spyder for occasional use.

Wife had a Spyder until recently....She loved it...I drove it alot and found it to be a blast.....Plenty of power...She sold it, she just wanted something on 2 wheels......

She put about 3K miles on it and never a problem..She had the auto and for her it worked great......Now she is looking at the new touring models, more power and some other tech advances.......She misses the Spyder......

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and SoCal

My bride and I have been riding H-D Road Kings for years... Until she rode a 2013 ST-Limited this winter... She sold her H-D and hasn't looked back... Great fun (when she lets me ride it :))... Plus it has a trunk!
Amazing combination of imagination and technology... It was a little strange at first for us long time 2-wheelers (no front brake, clutch)... Speaking of clutch, we would both only purchase the SE5 instead of manual shift... You still have complete control over which gear you're in, you just don't need a clutch to get there... We'd be happy to talk real-time if anyone has more specific questions...

Also, we both agree with concern about riding position on the RS (roadster), but the RT seemed more like a VW (editorial comment)...
We've both had custom seats on our previous bikes so going custom on her ST seat was planned from the time she took it out of the showroom... With the floorboards (standard on the limited) and her new seat, she has a very comfortable upright riding position... And the ability to change foot position.
The only surprise on the negative side was insurance cost... Considerably higher than a new H-D Road King!!!
I forgot to mention power... Plenty of power and speed on these new ones... And much more stable in corners than trike technology...
Ride Safe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom