Can anyone recommend a good porta-potti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracyc

Ok so I've decided I'm going to fully winterize my RV for the winter and use it like a box truck toy hauler for my business. But I was thinking for emergencies when I was working in my RV garage this winter I should get a porta potty just in case I can't make it into my house to use the bathroom. I have done some research online for porta-potti but it seems like most are all flawed in one way or another. And do I get a flush one or a manual one? I'm sure someone on here uses a porta-potti?

Also I really have no place to put one. Is there one I could put on top of my RV toilet? I have a Thettford toilet. So something I could set on top of it. Otherwise I will have to put in a container and drag it out each time I need to use it.

And if it matters I won't be putty toilet tissue or poop in it. (I will use toilet paper but put it in a bag and throw in away) So it would just have pee in it.

Also any ideas on some setup for me to wash my hands after going the bathroom? Maybe just some soap and using a bottle of water?

Any tips would be appreciated. Just trying to rig up a back up plan for the winter.

I'm thinking of getting a dish pan to put in my sink to use to wash my hands with bottles of water.

Boy the day I take my rig in to get it winterized for the winter is going to be a sad sad day  :'(

Buy a couple gallons of RV antifreeze, flush #1 with that, for $10 problem A taken care of.
Buy a bottle of hand sanitizer, use that, problem B taken care of,

Old Racer said:
Buy a couple gallons of RV antifreeze, flush #1 with that, for $10 problem A taken care of.
Buy a bottle of hand sanitizer, use that, problem B taken care of,

I don't want to pay $10 per flush. I guess I need something that I can use more often than just emergencies. I need to do some work in my rv during winter so I guess I might use it quite often.

Old Racer is on target.  PURE  water freezes at 32 o F, but if it contains contaminants like urine or antifreeze, the freezing point drops rapidly.  The tank, with a gallon of pink stuff, urine and some flush water from a milk jug, should not freeze until below 0 temps last for a couple days.  If the milk jug water freezes, use the toilet, then get some water to return and flush.  Toilet paper and #2 are no problem, either.  Add water to fill the tank to ? full a couple days before dumping.

Hand sanitizer solves issue #2.

Thanks but once my RV is winterized I'd rather not use the RV toilet all at.

Orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket.....
Buy a snap on toilet seat, insert a kitchen size trash bag around the bucket rim.
Toss as needed.

Large coffee can.....with snap or screw on lid......dump as needed.

Set either on top of whatever works.

marcortez said:
Orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket.....
Buy a snap on toilet seat, insert a kitchen size trash bag around the bucket rim.
Toss as needed.

Large coffee can.....with snap or screw on lid......dump as needed.

Set either on top of whatever works.

I was hoping for something a bit bigger than those LOL

Thetford Porta-Potti 135.
it is just what you are looking for.

Where are you located ?
We have one that is in perfect and clean condition that I would gladly give to you
We bought it for our first Pop-up and don't use it any more.
We offered it to all our kids, but none of them wanted it

JackL said:
Thetford Porta-Potti 135.
it is just what you are looking for.

Where are you located ?
We have one that is in perfect and clean condition that I would gladly give to you
We bought it for our first Pop-up and don't use it any more.
We offered it to all our kids, but none of them wanted it

Oh wow I'm in WI. I could pay the shipping for you to ship it to me. Let me know!!!

tracyc said:
I don't want to pay $10 per flush. I guess I need something that I can use more often than just emergencies. I need to do some work in my rv during winter so I guess I might use it quite often.

My error, I did not specify that 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to 6 oz of pee would be a bit much. Likely 3 oz would be just fine. Some 85 flushes, doing the math, and black tank will be just fine.

But are you assuming porta pottie will not freeze? If you leave it in camper, same problem, same need for antifreeze, plus probable need to empty.

Same problem different price, shipping portapottie not cheap these days.

OK after talking to the RV dealership who is going to do my weatherization I've decided to weatherize my RV and then add a portable tank under my RV. Then before peeing pour about a cup of window washer fluid into the toilet, (a couple RV places said that was a cheaper way to go) pee and flush. I will only pee in the toilet and the toilet paper will go into something like a diaper genie. Then go dump the portable tank over at Cabellas. ever couple weeks. (Cabellas has a 365 day dump station) At first we were going to use the black tank but he said this way if something goes wrong it would just be to the portable tank and not to the black water tank. I guess I will have to place the window washer fluid on top of the toilet so I don't forget to add in before using the toilet. Use hand saniter for my hands afterwards. I'm waiting as long as the weather holds up to weatherize my rv. He figures I might make it to the end of the month.

Hand sanitizer, or a plastic tube of either lysol disinfecting or baby wet wipes.

Wldor said:
Hand sanitizer, or a plastic tube of either lysol disinfecting or baby wet wipes.

Which on do you think is best? It's going to be odd not washing my hands with water.

Personal choice - they'll all do the same thing.

I like lysol wipes - they serve a multitude of cleansing purposes around the home/RV, but to each their own!

It sounds like you are all set, but I had a wild idea recently.

Back in the dark ages before indoor plumbing, it was quite common to have a CHAMBER POT in the bedroom to avoid midnight trips out in the rain or cold.  Mom grew up back then, and we had her chamber pot in our pop up (before pop up toilets) which I used frequently.  It was a 2 gal porcelain pot with a lid.  Use it for whatever was needed, then take it inside when convenient, and dump it down the toilet.

grashley said:
It sounds like you are all set, but I had a wild idea recently.

Back in the dark ages before indoor plumbing, it was quite common to have a CHAMBER POT in the bedroom to avoid midnight trips out in the rain or cold.  Mom grew up back then, and we had her chamber pot in our pop up (before pop up toilets) which I used frequently.  It was a 2 gal porcelain pot with a lid.  Use it for whatever was needed, then take it inside when convenient, and dump it down the toilet.

I was at first thinking about getting a bed pan with bed pan liners with a pad on the bottom. But if I can still just use the toilet I would rather stick to that with some windshield fluid.

We use to use a product called Wag Bags. We had simple porta potty that we would place them in. We have also used them in our thetferd  toilet in our trailer. The good ones have an enzyme in the bag that breaks down waste and keeps the smell under control. Good for 2 to 4 uses depending.  If you decide to use them do not get the cheap ones as they split at the seams when full. Learned that from experience.

Tom

tc tom said:
We use to use a product called Wag Bags. We had simple porta potty that we would place them in. We have also used them in our thetferd  toilet in our trailer. The good ones have an enzyme in the bag that breaks down waste and keeps the smell under control. Good for 2 to 4 uses depending.  If you decide to use them do not get the cheap ones as they split at the seams when full. Learned that from experience.

Tom

Tom. Thanks for the info. I'm still open to looking at other options yet. I looked at the Wag Bags on Amazon and they are pretty high priced. Is this product pretty similar to the Wag Bags? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GD48JNM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2VQ2IL2FG9KEJ&coliid=I162RYKJMX4JTJ&th=1

I really don't have any free space available to fit a porta potty. If I got one I don't know where I would even put it to be able to use it. My bathroom have a shower, sink and toilet with no extra room for anything else. They are almost on top of each other. Are you saying I could use the bags and just put them onto my existing Thetford toilet? So place in around the bottom of the toilet and then put the toilet seat on top of it and pee inside the bag then dispose the bag? So not using  the tank at all? If so just throw the bags of pee in the garbage or something like a diaper genie?

Windshield washer fluid designed for winter weather has a high level of methanol. Maybe it will not bother the toilet valve seals, or the dump valve seals, but I would not want to test it on my camper.

Old Racer said:
Windshield washer fluid designed for winter weather has a high level of methanol. Maybe it will not bother the toilet valve seals, or the dump valve seals, but I would not want to test it on my camper.

Oh ok thanks for the info. I had 2 RV shops say to use it. I didn't even know you could use it. So just use the RV antifreeze then?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom