Can I bury everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayfair

Hey gang ... as I've stated before, the Mrs and I have decided to go seasonal at our favorite campground. We love our site, however being the anal person that I am, I want to clean things up as much as possible.

;D

The water, electric, and cable hook up's are at the front of the trailer about 12-15 feet away from the trailer. Thus, you now have to step over them to walk around.

I'd like to know if it's ok to bury them, just about 6" or so below the surface ( sand - not dirt and rocks ) just to clean the area up and to prevent tripping over them. Do you think I'd be ok? I know the campground already burys the cable line, so i suspect I'd be ok with that one, and I really don't see what the big deal would be with burying the water line, it's the power lines that I'm curious about. I have the main line that goes to the trailer as well as a 14g extension cord coming off of the pole that I'd also like to bury.

Think I'll be ok?

Thanks!!

Theoretically you can't bury just any electrical cable. It has to be made for underground direct burial. There are many critters that dig underground tunnels and they will eat right through normal wires.

Most people who do want to protect their utilities build an above ground raceway to protect them.

Before digging anywhere, talk to the campground owner.  There may already be buried lines right where you want to dig.

Seiler - I was afraid that you were gonna say that.  :(

I'm thinking about maybe going another route and running it through PVC first and then burying it. Then I'd be ok wouldn't I? It just stinks because I'd probably hafta get 3" PVC just to fit the head of that cord through.

Grrrrrr !!!  :(

That's why I was hoping that it'd be ok to just bury the cord itself.  :-\

Ned, the only lines / things that are buried anywhere near where I'm considering are the cable and water lines. Electric is run on telephone poles. I've already kinda "test dug" a small trench to where I want to go and I didn't see anything

mayfair said:
Seiler - I was afraid that you were gonna say that.  :(

I'm thinking about maybe going another route and running it through PVC first and then burying it. Then I'd be ok wouldn't I? It just stinks because I'd probably hafta get 3" PVC just to fit the head of that cord through.

Grrrrrr !!!  :(

That's why I was hoping that it'd be ok to just bury the cord itself.  :-\

Ned, the only lines / things that are buried anywhere near where I'm considering are the cable and water lines. Electric is run on telephone poles. I've already kinda "test dug" a small trench to where I want to go and I didn't see anything

You can run the cable in PVC if you get the right schedule PVC for the job. You can only run 120 volt wires through that pipe. You can't run water, sewer, tv or phone lines with it. They would need separate pipes.

seilerbird said:
You can run the cable in PVC if you get the right schedule PVC for the job. You can only run 120 volt wires through that pipe. You can't run water, sewer, tv or phone lines with it. They would need separate pipes.

I was afraid that you were gonna say that too ...  :p

I was thinking about just making a water line out of PVC, so that's cool. Can't I run the cable line with the power lines though? If not - why? I was going to use regular ole schedule 40 PVC

The electricity line is the only one that needs to be buried for safety reason.  You can bury your cable TV line as-is.  It may not last as long, just replace it when if it gets deteriorated.  If you have a good quality hose, it can be buried too, I would not put a junction underground though.

I would take Ned's advice. ask ! Liability issues at at hand.

Remember it is private/government property.

carson

mayfair said:
I was afraid that you were gonna say that too ...  :p

I was thinking about just making a water line out of PVC, so that's cool. Can't I run the cable line with the power lines though? If not - why? I was going to use regular ole schedule 40 PVC

Schedule 40 will work if you aren't going to be driving over it. The NEC requires it to be buried 18". You can't run the cable and the power lines in the same pipe. NEC doesn't allow it. Local codes may vary but you probably won't have the work inspected so you don't have to worry too much about the 18" depth. But running cable and 120 together is just plain dangerous. John from Detroit should be checking in soon, he is more up to date on these matters than I am. I am a union electrician, but I retired 20 years ago.

If you're in an area that freezes in the winter, you'll want to bury below the frost line or your piping may be in pieces the next spring.  You also need to drain any water line for the winter as well.

Just a personal opinion, but I don't think you are going to be gaining anything by burying the cables and water line. It sounds like a needless expense to me and a lot of trouble digging the ditches and then digging them back up when you move. If you were going to be there permanently it would make more sense, but not for a seasonal. 

seilerbird said:
Just a personal opinion, but I don't think you are going to be gaining anything by burying the cables and water line. It sounds like a needless expense to me and a lot of trouble digging the ditches and then digging them back up when you move. If you were going to be there permanently it would make more sense, but not for a seasonal.

It's probably only 20 feet, so it's not like it's going to cost a ton of money. I want to measure the head on the power line first to see just how big the PVC will need to be ( does anyone already know?). That will probably be the deciding factor.
I think burying 4-6" should be fine. I won't be driving over it, it's merely to eliminate the tripping hazard that's there. I kinda like "diddling around" with my trailer and campsite while I'm away. Believe it or not, it's kinda how I relax and I enjoy it. This could be a fun little project.

mayfair said:
Believe it or not, it's kinda how I relax and I enjoy it. This could be a fun little project.

Yes, I always have a blast when I get to dig a ditch ::)

seilerbird said:
Yes, I always have a blast when I get to dig a ditch ::)

Ha ha !!  ;D

I hear ya. It's a sandy site, so it's really not that hard to do. It'll be easier than the hole I dug to bury my brother down at the beach.  ;D

Just doing some "test digging"  ;D I easily dug down a good 4" deep and about 2' long with a simple plastic hand trowel. If I used a shovel, I'd have it down in about 5 minutes.

Ned - I hear ya about the water line. I would just blow the water out at the end of the season just like I do to the trailer while winterizing it. Thanks for the reminder though.

If you're using rigid PVC I would bury it below the frost line or it will get broken come some spring.  Depending on where you are, that could be anywhere from 6" to several feet.

The code in Michigan requires direct buried cable to be a minimum of 36" deep. It is because of the frost levels. The cable should also be rated for direct burial. I am guessing that you want to bury it at the beginning of the season and removing it at the end of the season so a frost condition would not need to be considered. If you direct bury the cable you would need to consider amongst other things the soil conditions (rocky back fill, acidity, etc).  If the soil condition is pretty dry and you put the power cable  in conduit you would probably be OK, but if you have a high water table and some acidity in the water it could be bad for the power cable insulation. As has been stated previously it would be a good idea to consult the property owner and get an OK as there may be stuff already buried in the ground (water, sewer, & electric).

Ned said:
If you're using rigid PVC I would bury it below the frost line or it will get broken come some spring.  Depending on where you are, that could be anywhere from 6" to several feet.

Really? Even if it's empty?

codgerbill said:
I am guessing that you want to bury it at the beginning of the season and removing it at the end of the season

No - the trailer will stay put. The season ends in November and the trailer can stay on site all winter long.

Yes, even if it's empty.  The wires inside are flexible, but the pipe isn't.  That's why the code specifies how deep to bury conduits in areas that are subject to freezing.

mayfair said:
Really? Even if it's empty?

Do you know how much of the Grand Canyon was formed by freezing water cracking rocks? Like granite rocks? You pipe will be history if it is not buried deep enough.

Back
Top Bottom