Can I clean old self-leveling seals on roof with soap and water before resealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys,  I hope I haven't completely messed up on my RV roof...  Need some advice...  I just re-sealed two roof vents with Super Flex Self-Leveling sealant.  Before applying, I scrubbed the old seal thoroughly with soap and water and dried everything allowing about 15mins for the area to be completely dry.  BUT, I did not remove the old sealer, I just applied the new sealer on top. 

Is this going to be a problem for me?  Do I need to start over (I will if I need to)? and how long should I wait before trying to remove old and new sealer?

Thanks guys...

I'd give it a day or two for everything to cure and then check for bonding.
then, keep an eye on it form time to time..... which is something you need to do anyway....

If the sealant was dry enough after washing, and if the old sealant was sound (not cracked or loose), and the new sealant is compatible with the old it'll work.

The dealer caulked new over old on mine when i found a few bad spots in my pre delivery.  I later found taht a few areas had pulled loose a bit.  Looks like it wasn't clean.  But it stuck well in some areas.

Thank you so much.  I'll check them again in a couple of days as you suggest.  I really appreciate your responce.  Best wishes for a very prosperous 2016 to you and yours.

Blessings
gp

I've use mineral spirits on my rubber roof on stubborn spots, but use it sparingly. Don't pour it on, just dampen a cloth, rub the affected area to loosen or remove the debris, then immediately follow with soapy water and seemes to always work for me. Dry thoroughly, using an old hair dryer if necessary, then lay on new sealant over the old. Been doing this for the last 15+ years and no bonding issues between the old and new sealant yet. I use Dicor brand, works best for me.
Good Luck,
Reggie

Thank you Reggie,
I picked up some mineral spirits yesterday and I'm going to use your advice going forward.  On the sealant...  Camping world (my location) stopped carrying Dicor and they sold me Super Flex instead.  Have you ever heard of that one, and if so , what do you think?

Thanks again,
gp

If you look at BLW's post, he made a very crucial point.  Some sealants/caulking are not able to allow another coat to adhere to it.  For example, silicon can't even be painted.  So, if the previous coat was some such sealant, you will have to start over.
    FWIW, I always had problems where the rubber roof met the front fiberglass cap.  I'd scrape it all off, and use self levelling RV caulking, it would last for a trip or so, then start leaking.  Then, I tried eternabond tape over the seam and voila, never leaked again.
  Good luck
  Ed

GordonMerlyn Prendergast said:
Thank you Reggie,
I picked up some mineral spirits yesterday and I'm going to use your advice going forward.  On the sealant...  Camping world (my location) stopped carrying Dicor and they sold me Super Flex instead.  Have you ever heard of that one, and if so , what do you think?

Thanks again,
gp

GP, I've seen the Super Flex brand but never used it.  As others have mentioned, the EternaBond is a great product and I've used it where a seam was damaged and needed a more aggressive fix. The basic rule is clean, dry, and apply sealant liberally. If the sealant (Flex Seal) pulls away from the old sealant after curing for a couple of days the the underlying sealant isn't compatible and both new and old need to be removed and a new layer put down.  I'm sure you'll do well.  Good luck.
Regge

I've read great reviews about that Eternabond tape. I also used Dicor recently. I first cleaned the spots with mineral spirits dampened rag, let dry, applied the Dicor. With all the rain we've had lately, if it holds now, I should be good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom