Can I get an "Amen" on not using all lower case in posts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I'd never heard the term 'Oxford comma', and had to look it up. We were taught not to use it but I tend to insert it.

It sometimes serves to eliminate possible confusion if you do insert it.  Lists like (Red, White and Blue) are obvious, and I wouldn't use it, but there are instances where leaving it out appears to show an unintended relationship between the items (as pointed out by an earlier post) rather than a simple list.

Understood Lou, and that's often how I decide when to use it. But, not always  ;D It was the term 'Oxford comma' that I was unfamiliar with (or, with which I was unfamiliar).

A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with. 

"That is something up with which I will not put." [Winston Churchill]

This is my favorite example of why we should never use a preposition to end a sentence with. ;) :D

A Carolina boy's first day at Harvard started with a simple inquiry of; "Where's the library at?"

A sharp young lady replied, "Here at Harvard we never end a sentence with a preposition."

To which our Carolina boy promptly replied, "Very well, where's the library at, ...bi_ch?" :eek:

I don't pretend to understand Carson's native language, but Welsh grammar and English grammar are quite different. It's been said that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, because it doesn't always follow its own rules.

LOL Wendy, we're overdue for a wax job. I was hoping you and Mike would stop by and offer some additional elbow grease  ;D

We don't wax the motorhome either, but the boat needs a good paste wax to retain its good gelcoat finish.

Wow...... I have a head injury and most times struggle with spelling word placement grammer and the works... so reading this after making my first post witch i am sure had a little of all that makes me feel so welcome to this site. I am hopeful or optimistic that you are not refurring to my post. Now i am left feeling like maybe this site isn't as great as i had thought it to be. Having to take extra time and care to try and make this post meet your standards I will surely limit my future post to not burdon those with my head injury.
Amy

kaylin640 said:
Wow...... I have a head injury and most times struggle with spelling word placement grammer and the works... so reading this after making my first post witch i am sure had a little of all that makes me feel so welcome to this site. I am hopeful or optimistic that you are not refurring to my post. Now i am left feeling like maybe this site isn't as great as i had thought it to be. Having to take extra time and care to try and make this post meet your standards I will surely limit my future post to not burdon those with my head injury.
Amy
Amy - We don't have standards here. The point of the post was the disgust some people feel about posts being made in all lower case. Some of us pointed out we dislike all upper case, since that is considered shouting which is rude, and some of us dislike paragraphs that run on and on and on. All lower case, all upper case and run on paragraphs make a post much harder to read. None of us have perfect English and we don't expect anyone else to have perfect English. Many of the visitors to this site are from foreign countries and English might be their second or third language so expecting perfection is just not an option.

The point of posting here is to communicate an idea. If someone uses all lower case, all caps or run on paragraphs many people, myself included, simply refuse to read them.

Seiler is right Amy. No need to feel self conscious here.  The greatest thing about this site is that you will get help from people regardless of how you write, spell, or punctuate. And personally speaking as a Moderator, if I saw any post where one person was attacking another for the way that they expressed themselves, I would remove or edit the post of the person making the attack.  It's just unnecessary. 

So post all you want, we have no issues here. 

Welcome to The RV Forum, Amy. You'll see that we have some 'interesting' discussions here but it's a friendly group and we welcome everyone. Glad you joined us. Ask away with any questions you have.

Wend

Back
Top Bottom