Can I haul hitch mounted scooter and still flat tow my car?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpemby

I have read several older threads to determine the best way to do this.  I see people hauling bigger bikes and using cruiserlifts.  (I think that is the name)  I would like to haul a 250 CC scooter.  I don't have one yet, but looking at it.  I think they weigh in under 400 pounds.  I flat tow a beetle which weighs in around 3500 pounds.  I looked at VersaHaul's website and they seem to say 3000 pounds max on towing anything connected to their rack.  Any other ideas?

Are you wanting to haul the scooter on the MOTOR HOME and tow a car using a dual hitch thing, Or do you want to mount a scooter-hauler on the VW and tow the VW w/scooter attached?

John, Yes I definitely want to tow the scooter on the motorhome.  I am not sure if a dual hitch adapter would work.  It seems the car would be too close the scooter.  I could be wrong.  Sure would be the cheapest option.  I was more thinking of a scooter/motorcycle carrier that would allow my towbar to connect to it.  I guess a carrier with a built in 2" receiver that would be safe to tow my car with.

There is a fellow on another RV forum that does this. He has a large Harley and tows a VW wagon. Don't remember the forum. His name is John Churn. Your scooter would be a lot less weight.

I think he had the motorcycle rack custom built.

Good luck, Jerry

Thanks for the idea, I will see if I can find him.  Custom built scares me.  Custom built=expensive.  I could always switch to a truck, but we love our convertible.

Chet18013 said:
Go to the BlueOx site and use their information to calculate the load distribution on your motorhome to see if hauling and towing is possible.

I have the available capacity, I just need to find the combination of equipment that will physically make it possible. 

I have a Cruiser Lift installed on my DP.  The installer removed the factory hitch and welded/bolted a new 3 piece hitch with supports going along the frame about 4 feet  to support the weight of a Harley Davidson.  The factory hitch just wouldn't handle that kind of weight.  I can "flat" tow a vehicle as it doesn't add a tremendous amount of hitch weight.

Pigtrip said:
I have a Cruiser Lift installed on my DP.  The installer removed the factory hitch and welded/bolted a new 3 piece hitch with supports going along the frame about 4 feet  to support the weight of a Harley Davidson.  The factory hitch just wouldn't handle that kind of weight.  I can "flat" tow a vehicle as it doesn't add a tremendous amount of hitch weight.

Have you reweighed your RV with the bike aboard?

A neighbor in AZ computed the change as plus 2000 pounds to his rear axle and a minus 400 pounds to his steering axle. He tows his car and bike to AZ each year in a trailer.

Back
Top Bottom