Can I run both my AC's with my generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raidmagic

My AC's are each on 20 amp breakers. My generator is an Onan Marquise 5500. 50 amps. Simple math says yes. Is there more to it I'm not thinking about? Thanks for any help.

Should work fine with the only extremely slight problem being both AC?s starting at exactly the same time while having additional loads running.

ok, thanks.  I would only run them both at night when nothing else was happening. Just thinking ahead. I'm boondocking this weekend and might need the extra ac. Hopefully the weather stays nice through the weekend and I won't need to.

I have an Onan 5500 and have tested it by running both air conditioners, microwave, electric water heater and my wife's hair dryer all at the same time.

So I know mine will handle it.

It may be the same plug, but its not the same 50A. Your genset can produce a max of 5500 watts, while 50A shore power has a 12,000 watt capability. Your Onan 5500 probably has one 30A "leg" and one 20A leg, while the shore power outlet will have 2 50A legs.

While using the genset, the #2 power leg can only support one major appliance, so you probably cannot run any thing else that shares the #2 leg with the second (rear?) a/c. You need to look at your load center to determine what that "other" may be, but it's common to put the water heater on the #2 leg. since the water heater can cycle on at any time via its thermostat, you might want to put the heater in LP gas mode or simply turn it off when using the 2nd a/c on the genset.

Raidmagic said:
My AC's are each on 20 amp breakers. My generator is an Onan Marquise 5500. 50 amps.
(Some stuff clipped)

The above is also true of my RV. and I do run both A/C's at one time off the generator. and more.

So that should answer your question and the answer is YES You can

Now if your RV is a 30 amp. you can only run one on shore but both on generator.

But if' it is 50 amp.> Well then your set up is exactly like mine in this respect.

Keep in mind that when both air conditioning units are running simultaneously, the compressor kicks in and out as the unit runs, so even if you start up each unit at a different time, the point may arrive when they cycle at the same time.

Cheers,

Dan K.

We run everything in our 50 amp motorhome on our 5500 watt generator just the same as we do when plugged into 50 amp shorepower, and have never popped a breaker despite the difference in capacity. I can't say if both A/C's have ever started at exactly the same moment, but if they did it didn't affect anything significantly.

Did the RV come from the factory set up like this?  If so I would imagine your owners manual would give you some guidance. 

Back
Top Bottom